Rain

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Our Rhododendron collection (200+ from all over the world) is drying up and dying. We really need some precip!

Cool on the Rhody collection...must be tough to keep that watered. I have usually been able to stop watering our gardens by now, but even watered the native gardens we planted a while ago last week...

Good luck. Hope they all pull through for you.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I am burned out on all the watering.

Apartment people have it so easy.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Cool on the Rhody collection...must be tough to keep that watered. I have usually been able to stop watering our gardens by now, but even watered the native gardens we planted a while ago last week...

Good luck. Hope they all pull through for you.
Probably should shift the the garden thread... The previous owners built the collection so I'm just trying to keep it going. They are spread across 3 acres of our total 5 (away from the river portion) and are in the woods in a natural setting. If you've even been to the Weyerhauser rhodie garden, it's like a very rough version of that.

I've been trying to get to them once a week or so. It takes about 300' of garden hose run from the pump house and 3+ hours. Some of them are going to have to just make it on their own going forward. There are a few that I really like that'll I make the extra effort to keep alive. Most of them are natural species from various parts of Asia. As such, they often do not have showy flowers like the common hybrids we see in nurseries, although we have some of those too.

There are at least 13 different ones in this photo. Some of the name plates are visible. IMG_2387.JPG

Unusual ones are like this R. Dendrocharis which fits the same ecological niche as epiphitic orchids, just in the temperate rain forests of the Himalaya. There's one in the middle of the nurse log.

IMG_2384.JPG

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Species Rhodies are cool, but then again, I am in the horticulture field.
Thats a bit of work for sure, but if you can keep them alive and pass it on when you move, it would be very cool.
Private collections like that are getting less common as time goes by.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Here's the GFS model map which runs out to 16 days. It's updated twice daily and it's been maddening to watch as the big rain events keep coming and going on the forecast horizon. Most of my meteorologist buddies admit that forecasts beyond 7 or 8 days are wild-ass guesses.

http://wxmaps.org/pix/prec1

1665842346616.png

skyrise

Steelhead
Just got back from vacation in the Islands where we had more rain than I would have expected. I tried to bring that rain back with me but alas no luck so far. Fingers crossed.

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Not to worry folks. It's been dry for so long I took matters into my own hands. I washed my car AND my truck yesterday! 'Course it was 92 in Salem today, maybe all-time October record, but soon, very soon…

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
92?!! Holy Schmoley….we’re supposed to hit 78 today and I thought that was crazy

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Today was worse… this is from yesterday at north end of Lake Washington. Hard to see in to Seattle. Hard to see anything at a distance …

View attachment 37447
Thanks for posting, I've spent a lot of days fishing off that dock and in that area, good times. Air looks icky though.

Last edited: