Questions about Fishpond Nomad Guide Nets

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Merry Christmas everyone.

Ive got a rare chance to treat myself and am interested in maybe buying this net. I need a good drift boat net for Lakes. Something for an aging boomster to lean over the side of the gunwale to boat a fish. Is this the right net for me? Does it float? Those that have this net what are the pros and cons? Any other brands, lengths and or style(s) of net, to look at?

Thank you in advance.

Happy 2024.

Bob

Last edited:

Divad

Whitefish

Ive got a rare chance to treat myself and am interested in maybe buying this net. I need a good drift boat net for Lakes. Something for an aging boomster to lean over the side of the gunwale to boat a fish. Is this the right net for me? Does it float? Those that have this net what are the pros and cons? Any other brands, lengths and or style9s) of net, to look at?

Thank you in advance.

Happy 2024.

Bob
I’ll say, personally I don’t like the depth of the Fishpond nets. They’re shallow and feel even shallower since they taper to the deepest point in the center. Also creates a spring effect when big fish flail.

I’m a fan of the Frabill style, deep and cut to the measured depth at the sides with a 90 degree in the netting at the base. Making the sides as deep as the center. Not as nice looking as the FP admittedly.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I love them and think they are a sweet spot for durability and weight. Pricey, but I've owned and abused them for years and never broken one. Only thing I've had is a net break and need to be replaced (easy to do, they sell parts).

They do float very well and I’ve used them as ad hoc aquariums for fish I’ve caught. Use caution when doing so, though, as last winter I didn't anchor the handle well and I got to watch one float away from me on an ONP river...with a nice hen inside.

I think their hand nets are a little too short-handled, but the boat, guide, and mid-length guide nets are nice and long with good-size baskets. I even patterned a couple of nets I made off the dimensions of the fishpond net baskets.

You asked for cons, but other than price I can't think of one other than it might be nice to have them available in brighter colors or with a bit more of a blaze of orange. I spent about an hour last week trying to find the one I set down. It was perfectly camouflaged with the rocks and pebbles.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’ll say, personally I don’t like the depth of the Fishpond nets. They’re shallow and feel even shallower since they taper to the deepest point in the center. Also creates a spring effect when big fish flail.

I’m a fan of the Frabill style, deep and cut to the measured depth at the sides with a 90 degree in the netting at the base. Making the sides as deep as the center. Not as nice looking as the FP admittedly.
I like this for a boat net:
PXL_20230520_191937343.jpg

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party

Ive got a rare chance to treat myself and am interested in maybe buying this net. I need a good drift boat net for Lakes. Something for an aging boomster to lean over the side of the gunwale to boat a fish. Is this the right net for me? Does it float? Those that have this net what are the pros and cons? Any other brands, lengths and or style(s) of net, to look at?

Thank you in advance.

Happy 2024.

Bob
Bob -

They are nice nets, but I think they are on the heavy side. My suggestion would be to go to a fly shop that has the model in stock that you’re thinking of buying. Put something that weighs a couple pounds in the net. Hold the net out in front of you with that weight in it to simulate landing a fish to see how it feels. If it feels good to you, buy it! 😊

RichS

Life of the Party
image.jpg
My boat net is this Beckman. Hoop size 16x19. Total length 45”. Knot free rubber coated net. Paid $ 39.95 at my local ACE hardware. I use this in my Stealth pro, my boat and canoe. I know for sure it will handle fish up to 23 pounds- at least if they are carp. Great net.

Last edited:

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks for helping you all.

Im trying to justify the Fishpond Boat Net. @RichS, the Beckman is a net I was looking at months ago.

My Driftboat is not a high side wide bottom, thus space is at a premium. Im leaning towards the Fishpond Boat Net because I think I may be able to use it as a walking/wading stick. I like the possible multi use aspect. Being old school, $250.00, for me, is a chunk of money, for a net. But.....I know everything is expensive these days.

Bob

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@mcswny,

I dont think you can use it hardcore. Ive seen reviews where they say it can be done. Looks like Fishpond sells an end cap for the Nomad series just for this reason. Im not sure though so Ive gotta look into it some more.

@MT406 any experience with the Simms or Orvis Nets?

Thanks guys.

Bob

Last edited:

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Fisknat wood nets (with rubber bags) were nice. They are now carbon fiber… have no experience with their carbon fiber nets but they have been around a while.

I also have a fishpond boat net. I like it, works well. I also bought the rubber topper to use it as a staff but more so to lean on it and less a true staff.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Those Fishpond's are so expensive. Lose it or break it ---> Yikes! For the same amount you could get a wading staff made by Herkileez, and several other branded nets of various sizes...
Agree!
I can't comment on the Fishpond but there have been some alternatives mentioned.
What about My "boat" is a Watermaster and a Medium Rubber Measure Net works great reaching over the 18" tube with I guess about 16" of freeboard. The rubber net bag can give pretty accurate length measurements up to 24" and makes for a quick & easy, no BS, "keep 'em wet" photo. The foam handle pads on these nets have some buoyancy but not enough to keep the nets on the surface. I changed out the strap at the end of the handle with a heavy brass eyelet and girth hitch a tether with a loop on the end. The padded foam handle happens to seat down into a vertical rod holder on the left side of my seat back that is nicely out of the way. If you're looking for a long handle the JR Guide or Large might work well.
1703706429026.png

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Agree!
I can't comment on the Fishpond but there have been some alternatives mentioned.
What about My "boat" is a Watermaster and a Medium Rubber Measure Net works great reaching over the 18" tube with I guess about 16" of freeboard. The rubber net bag can give pretty accurate length measurements up to 24" and makes for a quick & easy, no BS, "keep 'em wet" photo. The foam handle pads on these nets have some buoyancy but not enough to keep the nets on the surface. I changed out the strap at the end of the handle with a heavy brass eyelet and girth hitch a tether with a loop on the end. The padded foam handle happens to seat down into a vertical rod holder on the left side of my seat back that is nicely out of the way. If you're looking for a long handle the JR Guide or Large might work well.
View attachment 96877
Have the Guide size, it's perfect size for boats. Hard to find now days. The Jr. guide would make a great boat net for trout.
Note: it doesn't float (saying that from experience), so add a little buoy on a carabiner to the end in case it goes over board.
PS, there's a guide size measure net at the bottom of dry falls just off from the point on the east side of the lake, in case any one wants to scuba diving for a well used/loved guide measure net....

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
Thanks for helping you all.

Im trying to justify the Fishpond Boat Net. @RichS, the Beckman is a net I was looking at months ago.

My Driftboat is not a high side wide bottom, thus space is at a premium. Im leaning towards the Fishpond Boat Net because I think I may be able to use it as a walking/wading stick. I like the possible multi use aspect. Being old school, $250.00, for me, is a chunk of money, for a net. But.....I know everything is expensive these days.

Bob
I have had quite a few nets during my many years of fly fishing. I really like my Fishpond Nomad net that I purchased last year, even for aesthetic reasons. I had been wanting one for several years and finally coughed up the money.