Puget Sound

Semper_Fly

Steelhead
Escaped for an extended lunch break this afternoon to try out my new 6wt setup on a north end beach. Picked up a Sage Foundation and paired it with a Spectrum reel. My previous beach setup was a 5wt Redington Hydrogen.

There were 3 souls already on the beach by the time I got there. Didn't see much action but did spot a few fry swimming around.

Only stayed for about an hour since I needed to get back to work. On the way out I was greeted by a handful of Morels (morchella importuna) that took me by surprise.

Solo parenting this weekend so no sound fishing for me. Might go check out the dinosaurs at the Spring Fair in Puyallup.

IMG_6227.jpgIMG_6229.jpgIMG_6235.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6227.jpg
    IMG_6227.jpg
    598.3 KB · Views: 9

jeradjames

Steelhead
Escaped for an extended lunch break this afternoon to try out my new 6wt setup on a north end beach. Picked up a Sage Foundation and paired it with a Spectrum reel. My previous beach setup was a 5wt Redington Hydrogen.

There were 3 souls already on the beach by the time I got there. Didn't see much action but did spot a few fry swimming around.

Only stayed for about an hour since I needed to get back to work. On the way out I was greeted by a handful of Morels (morchella importuna) that took me by surprise.

Solo parenting this weekend so no sound fishing for me. Might go check out the dinosaurs at the Spring Fair in Puyallup.
I have the same setup. Make sure to wash the guides well one of mine ended up getting some rust on it and is slowly progressing.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
IMG_4654.jpegIMG_4659.jpegIMG_4661.jpegIMG_4663.jpegIMG_4665.jpegWent out on @jasmillo Whaler this morning and explored some new water as well as fishing some known waters more closely.

Mixed results, some beaches did not lived up to our maybe overly high expectation while others were better than expected.
Caught several but I think the ones I lost were my best fish of the day.
Saw some fry but the cutts weren’t really eating them surprisingly, seems like an easy enough meal.

The shrimp provided once again but I did have a serious bout of lostfishitis out there. I think the only cure is more shrimps!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Headed to the canal this morning.
Cool morning at 37° when I started at 6:00.
Morning had flat, glass like water, which I hate fishing. Fished three hours without a bite. Saw the best amount of fry I’ve seen at this beach so far this spring, but the fish weren’t on them.
One of the homeowners stopped by to visit and I asked him the time. Shortly after 9:00. Told him if nothing happened in the next half hour, I was going to bag it. I decided to try and do my best @jasmillo and @Kfish imitation so I tied on an orange shrimp I tied yesterday. Caught a fish on my second cast. I was fishing over a sandy area and noticed a shadow coming my way. Then a couple more shadows. A school of about 6-7 nice size cutts swam right by me. The shadows reminded me of bonefishing. I flipped a cast out and hooked up by lost that fish. Caught a few more on the shrimp then current started moving on the incoming and the fish started working on the fry. A nice wind chop helped as well and a good number of fish showing themselves.
I switch over to a fry pattern caught some fish on that. One super large specimen came up just out of casting range. The things head looked like a damn salmon, so that kept me motivated but I never hooked it. Maybe next time. Called it a day at 11:30.
A few fish pics.
IMG_7160.jpeg
IMG_7172.jpegIMG_7173.jpegIMG_7162.jpegIMG_7167.jpeg

One of the fry I found floating. I tried a pink fry but got no love.
IMG_7155.jpeg

Also found a bunch of jellyfish packed in tight on a small current seem. Crap pic but if you zoom in on it you can see them.
IMG_7154.jpeg
SF

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
It was a solid but odd day for @Kfish and I. Started off hot with a couple fish in the first 4-5 casts, plus some missed bumps. Then a slow spell. Then pretty consistent action the last couple hours though we both lost more fish than we should have. Some decent specimens were landed though. Sunnier than expected as well. Too much sun on fishing days this spring! Stuck with the shrimp all day and never even tried a fry pattern. Definitely a new src confidence fly for me.

These were the two nicest fish of the day…

IMG_4824.jpeg

IMG_4825.jpeg

IMG_4822.jpeg

Rest were in this class…

IMG_4821.jpeg

IMG_4823.jpeg

IMG_4826.jpeg

IMG_4827.jpeg

Divad

Whitefish
Struck out yesterday trying a new beach, but is it really striking out with a view like this?
D0530A30-2A4B-49F4-B4AE-697D7835B512.jpeg
Watched this Heron try to suck down a flatfish while the seagulls stared in jealousy.
A2CBC1C9-B27E-4D0B-8C63-BB5E322D4F50.jpeg
There were a few schools of fry about. I want to say I saw both chum and pink, with the latter schools being a little larger fish. Below was a chum fry group.
419F5B08-D94B-49CB-B8C5-DC55232D2813.jpeg

Divad

Whitefish
This fly
0645F92C-FC93-421C-A920-50264FF02704.jpeg
caught this little guy
763DDE8E-5684-4764-A613-8244D61E4A30.jpeg
and this healthy cutt
D04FFF15-ED25-49A8-B969-D04B45D23F92.jpeg
while a nice sized crab watched
3A99D61F-B432-4F02-ACE0-31F6B42D7265.jpeg
right beside some beds of grass where fry and little amphipods were swimming.
1385274B-41D9-41BB-9CC2-9DCD54DEC9D3.jpeg
Haven’t seen this south sound beach at low tide before, what a treat. Bite completely shutoff once the tide started coming up, which is when I’ve fished it in the past and failed.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Kind of an ugly day, but way better than hot weather. Nothing special today size….or girth wise. Time for some to put on the feedbag.
SF

IMG_7329.jpegIMG_7330.jpegIMG_7331.jpeg

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Windy wet morning. Decent number of fish to hand all about this size.
IMG_7374.jpegIMG_7373.jpeg

Lots of horny crabs around.
IMG_7372.jpeg

The salt has been hell on gear the last week. Blew out the zipper on my pack last weekend. Rip a lace loop off my wading boots yesterday and the zipper on my rain jacket gave up the ghost this morning.
SF

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Similar conditions out there for @Kfish and I. Windy, wet, short period of calm, repeat. Water never got too choppy running from spot to spot so overall, not a bad day. Lots of fish hooked. Lots of fish lost. A couple of doubles, a couple nice fish landed. Lots of smalls (less than 10 inches) encountered too. In multiple spots.

Wondering if smalls take prime feeding lies when big fish head in to spawn? Regardless, fun day. If the weather cooperates, the plan is to try and catch a fish out of the Sound I have never caught on a fly next weekend. Cool place we live…

IMG_4900.jpeg

IMG_4898.jpeg

IMG_4896.jpeg

IMG_4899.jpeg

IMG_4897.jpeg

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Several episodes of wind and sideway rain but we did get some nice breaks in between, fishing was the same a mish mash of good and slow spots. Lost a lot of fish due the fast current putting a big curve in the line making it hard to set the hook, and I also blame the damn jig hooks :)
Last spot before heading back, was aiming for that 8 incher but his bigger brother smashed the shrimp and put on an acrobatic show.

IMG_4833.jpegIMG_4831.jpegIMG_4830.jpegIMG_4827.jpegIMG_4825.jpeg

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
It’s been interesting the past few weeks.
I’ve been fishing different spots then @jasmillo and @Kfish but with similar results. Good numbers of fish with some decent sized, but nothing I’d call jumbos. Maybe they are spawning, but I’ve encountered very few post spawn fish lately.
I did see a few big boys or girls jump, but didn’t hook them. Lots of smaller fish as well, which hopefully bodes well for the future.
Every year is different though. Last year in April was excellent for bigger fish so maybe May or even June will be the ticket this year.
SF