Puget Sound

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Hit the sound with @Kfish this morning. Fished a bunch of spots with the boat and hooked up on nearly every stop. We just never found fish stacked up so it ended up being a pretty slow morning. Lost my biggest src while netting him. The rest were on the small side. Never found src really keyed on fry but did find rezzie pods on them again. Some healthy, chunky fish in some of the pods we came across.

Some cuts.

IMG_4605.jpeg

IMG_4606.jpeg

IMG_4607.jpeg

Some rezzies.

IMG_4609.jpeg

IMG_4608.jpeg

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
That top src you stole was supposed to be mine :) but can’t hardly blame him for choosing that pink shrimp over my white rabbit mystery meat haha

Those rezzie blitz provided a good deal of entertainment (and also frustration) to makeup for the slow cutty fishing, hooked a couple and one was pretty good size. Those guys have been feasting on fry for a couple of weeks now, all healthy and aggressive.

Spotted one group of fry near the boat about 60 in numbers, still very tiny.

IMG_4217.jpeg
IMG_4215.jpeg

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Slow day. Way too bright and sunny then the north wind kicked in and colored up the water.
Earlier in the day, an otter popped up right in front of me. A bit later, I see something swimming up the shoreline directly at me. I got out of the water thinking it was the otter, but it turned out to be a little beaver.
SF

IMG_6918.jpegIMG_6919.jpegIMG_6921.jpegIMG_6925.jpeg

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Slow day. Way too bright and sunny then the north wind kicked in and colored up the water.
Earlier in the day, an otter popped up right in front of me. A bit later, I see something swimming up the shoreline directly at me. I got out of the water thinking it was the otter, but it turned out to be a little beaver.
SF

View attachment 108910View attachment 108911View attachment 108912View attachment 108913
You’d have been better off as a fur trapper than an angler today.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Anyone seeing much fry activity?
I saw zero this weekend. Prior trips I’ve seen a few, but very small groups, sometimes only a couple of them together.
With both chum and pink fry available this spring, it seems there should be more for this time of the year. Every year is different though so hopefully more will be outmigrating with the slightly warmer weather.
SF

GeekOfAllTrades

David
Forum Supporter
Anyone seeing much fry activity?
I saw zero this weekend. Prior trips I’ve seen a few, but very small groups, sometimes only a couple of them together.
With both chum and pink fry available this spring, it seems there should be more for this time of the year. Every year is different though so hopefully more will be outmigrating with the slightly warmer weather.
SF
I did see a small school yesterday, hard to count but I'd guess between 25-50 fry. It was also pretty close to a creek mouth, like maybe 25 yards away from the creek as I was making my way out onto a neighboring point. Maybe things are just a little slower than normal?

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Could be, but I fish the beaches all winter and didn’t see any early. Could also be location based and they just aren’t where I’m fishing.
SF

Tallguy

Steelhead
I was in the deep south sound Saturday and saw a few small schools of smallish fry swimming around on top through the day. It was calm, so here and there were small dimpling fish in many places, even if I didn't try to go look at them. No idea what they were, other than definitely salmon fry.

Semper_Fly

Steelhead
Headed south Friday morning to catch the small window with the least wind forecasted.

The first beach produced one to the net with another 4 missed opportunities.

Second beach already had 3 anglers so I passed.

Third beach had lots of active fish but they were just too focused on the chum fry. Saw lots of fry swimming around about 1" in length. I stayed for about an hour after realizing they just weren't interested. Headed back to the second beach.

Back to the second beach, the tide was already so low that people were digging for clams. I figured this was the last beach to fish before heading back so I gave it a go. Second cast and got a strike. I wasn't prepared so I did not set the hook. A few seconds later the fish shot out of the water, flipped me off and went off up the beach never to be interested in my fly again.

Was a Good Friday indeed.

IMG_5817.jpg IMG_5878.png

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
More fry on the way this month for the south sound and canal…..guaranteed. 😉
SF

IMG_6933.jpegIMG_6934.jpegIMG_6935.jpegIMG_6936.jpeg

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Pretty slow today, @jasmillo caught most of the fish with his hot fly. Wind was ugly most of the time creating some awkward casting angles and self back snags. Lost my biggest at boat side because I couldn’t get the net down fast enough.

IMG_4309.jpegIMG_4311.jpeg

Did not see any fry at all, all the chops didn’t help either.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Had to head south to get a family visit in so fished the canal today. Started at 6:45 and called it a day when the whitecaps arrived at around 11:30. Cool morning to start at 37°.
Good day for numbers of fish, but not much size wise. I do like seeing the different size and age classes of fish which bodes well for the future.
I had flat water this morning and saw no fry again. Even though I saw no fry, I fished the same fry fly all day.
Overall a nice day and I added to my golf ball collection.
SF

IMG_6971.jpeg
IMG_6972.jpegIMG_6980.jpegIMG_6983.jpegIMG_6985.jpegIMG_6977.jpegIMG_6990.jpegIMG_6988.jpeg

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hey if anybody was out fishing this week or next week? My wife is doing some salmon curriculum and wanted to do a salmon fish print at school. If anybody were running into legal coho in 13 or 11 this weekend, it would be really cool to be able to come and pick one up.

5 Weight

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Had to head south to get a family visit in so fished the canal today. Started at 6:45 and called it a day when the whitecaps arrived at around 11:30. Cool morning to start at 37°.
Good day for numbers of fish, but not much size wise. I do like seeing the different size and age classes of fish which bodes well for the future.
I had flat water this morning and saw no fry again. Even though I saw no fry, I fished the same fry fly all day.
Overall a nice day and I added to my golf ball collection.
SF

View attachment 109791
View attachment 109792View attachment 109793View attachment 109794View attachment 109795View attachment 109796View attachment 109797View attachment 109798
Good outing! You can’t go wrong with that fly pattern. Judging from pic #4, the White Claw and Twisted Tea guys have not hit the beaches yet.