Puget Sound

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I'm just guessing but I would think it's based on the unexpected number of pinks returning specifically to the Duwamish and Puyallup systems. The 8-1 / 8-2 areas are Hood Canal, right? I'm not sure what rivers in the canal get the humpies or how they're looking for returns this year. And 9 would include the Snohomish fish, maybe that system isn't seeing the high numbers that the Duwamish and Puyallups are?

Agree it was a late call. Although I haven't been out this week, maybe there are still bright pinks coming through in the south end. I will try to find out tomorrow morning if I can make it out before work.

I’d have to think that most of the Green and Puyallup pinks come through MA 9, but I guess some could come through 8-1 and 8-2.
The canal is MA 12 as @Jake Watrous mentioned, so anything south of the bridge.
Some canal streams have natural production and the only hatchery that produces pinks that I know of which is Hoodsport has back almost 5,000 more pinks then returned in 2021.
SF

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
8-1 and -2 are east side of Whidbey. HC is mostly 12.

As for why, it's probably based on quotas and encounters.
Doh - I should've known that... I don't know why I had it in my head those were HC areas.

But again if the Snohomish system (and maybe Skagit too) wasn't showing the surplus that the southern systems were, I could see why they didn't allow the bonus limits in 8-1, 8-2 and 9.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Doh - I should've known that... I don't know why I had it in my head those were HC areas.

But again if the Snohomish system (and maybe Skagit too) wasn't showing the surplus that the southern systems were, I could see why they didn't allow the bonus limits in 8-1, 8-2 and 9.

Besides the Green, the Snohomish and Skagit forecasts are more than the Puyallup and Nisqually.
Maybe it is the Nooksack, but not sure if they utilize MA 9.
I’d imagine all those nearly 500K Hood Canal fish also utilize MA 9.
Was just curious what else they were trying to protect in 8-1,8-2 and 9 by not having bonus limits there? Snohomish coho or Stilly chinook?
SF

IMG_4726.jpeg

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Besides the Green, the Snohomish and Skagit forecasts are more than the Puyallup and Nisqually.
Maybe it is the Nooksack, but not sure if they utilize MA 9.
I’d imagine all those nearly 500K Hood Canal fish also utilize MA 9.
Was just curious what else they were trying to protect in 8-1,8-2 and 9 by not having bonus limits there? Snohomish coho or Stilly chinook?
SF

View attachment 81742
Oh wow, i had not seen the numbers broken down by river system like that yet. Blows my theory on protecting the Snohomish pinks. Maybe the Stilly run they thought couldn't handle a 4 fish limit?

I wouldn't think the Nooksack fish would pass through 9 or 8.1 / 8.1. I think they'd turn north just before entering 9 and take 6 & 7 to the river. If I'm reading the map right.

Smalma

Life of the Party
Suspect that the limiting factor on North Sound pinks were the Stillaguamish (forecast only 1.28 escapement goal) and potentially the Skagit whose forecast is a little less than twice its escapement goal. The Nooksack forecast is well below it escapement goal (result of intense flooding in 2021) but they are a early pink (entering the river beginning in early July with nearly all the fish in the river by now..

Curt

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I have a couple reports of folks running into significant pods of coho jacks.

Nick could those 16 - 18-inch fish been jacks? They typically a white bump on the end of their snout - the jack version of a hook nose? There has been a couple years where I have had fun "trout" fishing on those jacks by downsizing my flies (stuff in the 1.5 to 2 inch range). Fortunately the larger adults also find those smaller flies acceptable.

Curt

Could have been jacks. Wasn't something I had considered. I don't remember looking close enough to notice their nose. If I see them again I'll pay closer attention.

Yesterday was the first time this season I recall encountering fish of that size, especially in those numbers. We hooked a fair amount of them, and they were showing themselves just about everywhere we went. They were kinda fun, and gave us targets to cast at.

Divad

Whitefish
Has anyone encounter chum about this early or do they not come through until later? If the latter is true I’m guessing they barely eat before returning to their natal streams(?)

I would love to catch one of the chrome versions with ghost markings, when I get a chance to wrestle with them from the beach in ma13 they’re already colored up.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
@mtskibum16 landed about the most beautiful chum I've ever seen off a north sound coho beach years ago. I don't remember the exact timing but it was early enough that we definitely weren't expecting a chum. I want to say it was late August/early September but I can't recall.
Most likely one of the few remaining summer chum.

Man that was such a cool fish.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
On one system that they track summer chum, they install the trap in mid August and count fish until about mid October.
Last year if I remember correctly, they got 5,500 or so fish back.
They’ve also done restoration work on some rivers and creeks as well as reintroducing summer chums to some others.
So seeing a chum now isn’t out of the realm of possibilities.
SF

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Gotta be careful about retention though - often the pamphlet says chum are a no-no during the summer/fall salmon seasons in your typical Areas.

Divad

Whitefish
I can deal with no retention, I really want to get one from the beach that’s all chrome and not showing the greens/reds. Never caught one with the ghost markings like I’ve heard them referred to with in AK.

Guess I just have to fish more, oh bummer

FishingGirl

Trout Yakker
Forum Supporter
I spent all day yesterday in the South Sound and did not see many salmon, let alone get one to bite. Should I be fishing northern beaches to get into some salmon? I really hate the crowds and have avoided hot spots but I hate to miss the Pink run.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I can deal with no retention, I really want to get one from the beach that’s all chrome and not showing the greens/reds. Never caught one with the ghost markings like I’ve heard them referred to with in AK.

Guess I just have to fish more, oh bummer

If you never got an opportunity to fish for Nisqually winter chums, that would have been a good opportunity for you to catch a nice bright chum. The prettiest chums I’ve ever seen or caught. A few fooled us as they looked like bright steelhead when first hooked up. Unfortunately like many things, it is now closed to fishing for them.
SF

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I spent all day yesterday in the South Sound and did not see many salmon, let alone get one to bite. Should I be fishing northern beaches to get into some salmon? I really hate the crowds and have avoided hot spots but I hate to miss the Pink run.

There are still some up north but activity has definitely thinned out and the pink run peak has passed in my opinion.
So have some of the crowds. You might consider targeting coho right now rather than pinks, though pinks could provide a bycatch.
SF

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
@mtskibum16 landed about the most beautiful chum I've ever seen off a north sound coho beach years ago. I don't remember the exact timing but it was early enough that we definitely weren't expecting a chum. I want to say it was late August/early September but I can't recall.
Most likely one of the few remaining summer chum.

Man that was such a cool fish.

It was September 14, 2013. Super unexpected. I've never seen or heard of another caught in that area. It’s not as bright as you might remember, but still one cool fish. Looks like it had been caught in a net or by a seal. Took a pink over white clouser if I remember right.
1694530624230.jpeg

Last edited:

Greggor

'Schooled' by Roy Patrick
Forum Supporter
If at first you don't succeed...

Started like this: First light, wind knot after a few casts. Oh well, roll with it. Toad! Break off!

Then, 0/4 on fish that became unbuttoned half way in! Nice fish too!

Followed up by a rezzie too small to keep!

But wait! There's more!

Tide changed and a strong current pushed some fish in right against the point.

Landed four successive fish, all on the tail end of a hard swing into the point. Two large wild, and two really decent marked fish.

Overall 5/10

What an interesting progression, and fun ending to a fishing day!

Attachments

• IMG_20230912_142821.jpg
    IMG_20230912_142821.jpg
    849.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20230912_142230.jpg
    IMG_20230912_142230.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20230912_142014.jpg
    IMG_20230912_142014.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65