Prop Change for Minn Kotas (BIG difference)

Divad

Whitefish

Seems the 10x5 and 10x4 props this guys uses creates less power draw and increases top speed. What more could you want!

I know what I’m upgrading later in the season when I get to lake fishing more.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin

Seems the 10x5 and 10x4 props this guys uses creates less power draw and increases top speed. What more could you want!

I know what I’m upgrading later in the season when I get to lake fishing more.

I wonder about durability

Divad

Whitefish
I wonder about durability
Good point. My prop still looks like factory so I’d like to say I have good habits there. Hopefully the material has some flex to makeup for its girth.

Going to order one for a winter project/test.

@Paige oops, did not see it. Big enough improvement to warrant a thread, I’ll flip back to this someday when I put it on.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
They are cheap enough so a guy can have a few spares. It's also not a permanent replacement. You can always put the weedless prop back on if you're going to known weedy lake.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I have seen those YT videos recently and thought about this as well.

One thing I worry about is that the stock prop HAS to be better at dealing with weeds. But as mentioned, easy enough to switch.

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Okay, I'm not a mechanic nor an electrician but I assume drawing fewer amps means a longer lasting battery when you're on the water. This interests me more than speed. I don't try to troll at full speed anyway, unless of course you're after the fast fish.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Anyone know an easy place to order these?

Divad

Whitefish
The 10x4 seems like a better pitch for a 30lb thrust but beware that the shear pin does not have a locking housing. The 10x5 has a locking housing. I’d say a 10x5 for 30lb+ thrust motors and maybe a x4 pitch for 30s, but the risk of no locking shear pin mold might be worth it for a x5 even on a 30.

The gains are more noticeable on 30lb+ motors.

Stock Prop 30lb Thrust
- Speed 3: 2.6mph @ 12.6a
- Speed 4: 2.9 @ 15.2
- Speed 5: 3.5 @ 25

10x4 Prop 30lb Thrust
- Speed 3: 2.9 @ 12.6
- Speed 4: 3.1 @ 15.5
- Speed 5: 4.0 @ 26.5

10x5 Prop 30lb Thrust
- Speed 3: 2.8 @ 12.9
- Speed 4: 3.2 @ 15.2
- Speed 5: 3.9 @ 26

Stock Prop 55lb Thrust
- Speed 5: 3.7 @ 35

10x4 Prop 55lb Thrust
- Speed 5: 4.2 @ 28

10x5 Prop 55lb Thrust
- Speed 5: 4.3 @ 27

@Josh

I have the 42lb thrust and will go with a 10x5.

Divad

Whitefish
There is a lot of room for fine tuning your prop for each thrust, definitely could be optimal ones not yet stated. Ie: someone noted a 9-4 for a 30lb being optimal for efficiency and thrust.

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Got my new airplane prop and took off my existing factory one... doh!

PXL_20230905_150114981.jpg

Have a problem. The slot that the shear pin fits into is not the same size. The new prop's slot is just a little too small.

Did i get the wrong prop? Should I try carving out the new prop a smidge?

BTW, I must of hit a rock sometime cuz my shear pin is ever so slightly bent and the prop slot shows a small break.

PXL_20230905_150851419.jpg

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Dammit anyway...I fly RC planes and can see you guys driving prop prices up like hackle prices during the hair extension craze. :ROFLMAO:

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
had to install two custom fit plastic washers wthin the hole cavity to snug the bolt/washer down...will try it out on thursday..

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Got my new airplane prop and took off my existing factory one... doh!

View attachment 80890

Have a problem. The slot that the shear pin fits into is not the same size. The new prop's slot is just a little too small.

Did i get the wrong prop? Should I try carving out the new prop a smidge?

BTW, I must of hit a rock sometime cuz my shear pin is ever so slightly bent and the prop slot shows a small break.

View attachment 80891
Were you casting towards your motor?