Point up or points down? (Poll and comments)

Dishwasher silverware points up or points down?

• Total voters

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So, spending the week at dad's house (very thankful I still have him)... Anyway we have been having "discussions" about things...

Now the poll question... when loading the dishwasher do you put points up or down? (Obviously he does it wrong, point up)

(PS... Tight if OMJ because this topic would have driven him crazy! Hahaha)

20231121_105756.jpg

Last edited:

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Honestly though, in that type dishwasher, the silver is sanitary after the cycle is finished , so why would you want to put your dirty hands on the part that goes in your mouth?

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Points up. It's how it's done in restaurants.
Yep, when I was in the business protocol was spoons and forks up, all knives down. Had my left thumb sewn back together at NW after someone put a chef's knife in my saute' station sink at Ivar's. Always be careful.
edit: Points up cleans dried on food better and allows some movement for more through cleaning and faster drying..

Last edited:

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Honestly though, in that type dishwasher, the silver is sanitary after the cycle is finished , so why would you want to put your dirty hands on the part that goes in your mouth?

You don't put your hands on the silverware either way.

Shad

Life of the Party
I put them facing up, and I also make sure to sort them by type as I put them in the dishwasher. Makes putting the dishes away much faster (but costs more time loading, so it's probably a "wash...").

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Points down. I don't use a dishwasher . . . I am the dishwasher and it's still points down. I have never inadvertently cut myself on an exposed knife handle . . .

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Points up so that the business end of each implement gets more exposure to the wash water jets. Knives? Only table knives, the kind that can't cut you, go in the dishwasher. Any knife that qualifies as "cutlery" is hand wash only.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Hopefully, your hygiene regime is a little better than a third world country’s, before handling clean dishes and silverware.😳😉🤔

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Points down. I don't use a dishwasher . . . I am the dishwasher and it's still points down. I have never inadvertently cut myself on an exposed knife handle . . .
Sharp knives go into the farthest back receptacle…then mixing/serviing spoons/spatulas…then silverware towards the front. No sharp stuff and inadvertent pokes/cuts.

Over fifty years of trial n error experience talkin’ there. 😁