PNWflyfishing has a Facebook page now...

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
fair, i dont use reddit to often so i dont know the ropes.
Wish I could say the same. I spend a LOT of time on Reddit... but not a lot of time on the fly fishing content. I'd rather get that here ;)

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
See our previous comments. All we're doing is making sure our articles are being shared there. I don't even have a FB account, so I have no intention of sending our discussions over there.
I like it. The articles are freaking fantastic so far - great idea to get those out for more to see and enjoy.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Howdy all!

We've made a FB page for the site. If you're are on Facebook, give us a like and a follow. Here's the URL

https://www.facebook.com/pnwflyfishingforum

View attachment 52939

Why is this important? Well, it's not really. But if you are someone who uses Facebook regularly, it would be rad if you could share the posts we make there. ESPECIALLY if you are part of any flyfishing groups. Mostly, we'll just be promoting new articles there for now. But in the future we could also see posting about cool threads or upcoming events. The idea isn't for us to be active on Facebook, the idea is to connect with PNW flyfishers who aren't aware of the site.

Here's instructions on how to share a post if you aren't aware:

1. Click the "share" button under a post you'd like to share.
View attachment 52940
2. chose where you'd like to share it.
- Share Now posts it directly to your FB feed
- Share to Feed lets you add text comments, and then shares to your feed
- Send in Messenger is good if you are sharing to a specific person and use FB Messenger to talk to them
- Share to a Group is great is you are part of a fishing group you think might be interested in the post you are sharing (and is probably the best promotion for us)
- The other options aren't as useful.

View attachment 52941
3. I tend to click the "include original post" when sharing. But it is not strictly necessary.
4. Click "post"!
You are screwing with me again. I don't really take to change very easy. I'll try it down the road or I might not. It all remains' to be seen.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
You are screwing with me again. I don't really take to change very easy. I'll try it down the road or I might not. It all remains' to be seen.
You don't have to do anything. I rarely use FB myself and have no intention of increasing my use.

This is just a way to reach some PNW flyfishers who might not know about us otherwise.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Reddit my be a good spot as well?
Reddit is a rad place, but it's easy to get called out for spam. But any time anyone on reddit sees a PNW article where pointing to PNWFF might be useful, please feel free to make the post. I've done it a couple times.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Sounds like a good strategy

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Just to be clear, we're not going to have conversations or threads over ON Facebook. We're just sharing content FROM pnwflyfishing.com TO Facebook hoping to encourage people from there to visit here. The biggest hurdle for a site like ours is that we need some amount of new members showing up to replace those who wander off to other hobbies over the years. To ensure that we have those new users, we need to let people know we exist. And as there are a number of flyfishing folks who use Facebook, we figured this would be a good place to start.

After all, it's not like we're going to be running a superbowl ad...

Are you open to suggestions on this?
Is so, here is mine.
Just show a snapshot to any of the articles and make it so you have to be a member to view the articles.
That would eliminate all the lurkers that have no intention of joining and are just looking for info without any intention of contributing anything to your site. Making them be a member would eliminate those with no interested in joining up.
I know it might be more administrative bs, but there is kind of a fine line between sharing info and all the other stuff that comes with it such as fishing pressure in certain fisheries.
Thanks for your consideration.
SF

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
For those still concerned about this FB addition:

We want everyone to trust that we know what we are doing, and got there through years of experience with a combination of online forum running (elsewhere), marketing, social media/websites, and fly fishing itself. We gained these experiences both professionally, and through hobbies. All the decisions we make are to make the forum better and more enjoyable for our current members, as well as making it attractive to new potential members. We also are exploring ways to let people outside our community here know that we're here, and there are really only a few good ways to do that. Unfortunately, Facebook is one of them.

Anything we do on FB will not subtract ANYTHING from here. All we are doing is posting links of things we think might get new eyeballs on us. Some of those eyeballs will stick around, many won't. But that's just how marketing works. But it is absolutely essential that we find effective ways to get these new eyeballs, or this forum won't last long term. In this particular case, all we're doing is posting the links on FB, and hoping our members that are also on Facebook share them with their other fishing friends there.

Smalma

Life of the Party
I think that Stonedfish has a point.

Using the Fly fishing for albacore tuna series an example. Putting the first of the series (the bait) on facebook might catch some interest. In that first posting a note that there are two more chapters that are available here. Once here to follow up on that on the series hopefully they will look elsewhere hopefully leading to "catching" a new member.

Curt

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I dunno what any of this means...so I'll just wait and see. Got outta FB at least 15 years ago...gotta check if I still got 40 acres of Farmville. County probably seized it for back taxes.

Old Man and me ain't wearin' none of them 3D googles. I'll spew, and he'll blow out his depends.

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
For those still concerned about this FB addition:

We want everyone to trust that we know what we are doing, and got there through years of experience with a combination of online forum running (elsewhere), marketing, social media/websites, and fly fishing itself. We gained these experiences both professionally, and through hobbies. All the decisions we make are to make the forum better and more enjoyable for our current members, as well as making it attractive to new potential members. We also are exploring ways to let people outside our community here know that we're here, and there are really only a few good ways to do that. Unfortunately, Facebook is one of them.

Anything we do on FB will not subtract ANYTHING from here. All we are doing is posting links of things we think might get new eyeballs on us. Some of those eyeballs will stick around, many won't. But that's just how marketing works. But it is absolutely essential that we find effective ways to get these new eyeballs, or this forum won't last long term. In this particular case, all we're doing is posting the links on FB, and hoping our members that are also on Facebook share them with their other fishing friends there.
If PNWFF needs to use Facebook to help keep the forum long term, go for it. I can't help with likes on Facebook as my account has been deactivated for about six years now. Good luck, go forward, keep this thing runnin'.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
If PNWFF needs to use Facebook to help keep the forum long term, go for it. I can't help with likes on Facebook as my account has been deactivated for about six years now. Good luck, go forward, keep this thing runnin'.
I don't have an account at all. I'm very anti Facebook and don't use it. But still recognize its value as a place to market something.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
It occurred to me that we may also be having an issue with wording. Just to clarify, when we share a PNWFF article on FB, we aren't posting the whole article. We're sharing a link to the article. FB grabs the title, a featured image (if there is one), and the first dozen words or so for a preview. It looks like this:

Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 6.41.48 PM.png

That's all. There is nothing else from the forum posted on Facebook at all. If someone shares it with a fishing buddy and they want to read it, they have to come to pnwflyfishing.com to do so. There is absolutely no way for them to see the content ON Facebook.

It's pretty similar to what we do with links shared here on the forum. For example, here's a recent thread from paflyfish:

Our forum software grabs the title and the first few sentences and turns it into something that someone here might be more interested in than just a bare URL. But it doesn't post the whole thread (or even the first post) here on our site. We have to go to paflyfish if we want to read it.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
It occurred to me that we may also be having an issue with wording. Just to clarify, when we share a PNWFF article on FB, we aren't posting the whole article. We're sharing a link to the article. FB grabs the title, a featured image (if there is one), and the first dozen words or so for a preview. It looks like this:

View attachment 53107

That's all. There is nothing else from the forum posted on Facebook at all. If someone shares it with a fishing buddy and they want to read it, they have to come to pnwflyfishing.com to do so. There is absolutely no way for them to see the content ON Facebook.

It's pretty similar to what we do with links shared here on the forum. For example, here's a recent thread from paflyfish:

Our forum software grabs the title and the first few sentences and turns it into something that someone here might be more interested in than just a bare URL. But it doesn't post the whole thread (or even the first post) here on our site. We have to go to paflyfish if we want to read it.
The only thing wrong with what you're doing on Facebook there is that you're a heathen who doesn't believe in dark mode.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Now a picture I took is on FB. Wonders never cease.

edit--mainly notable to me b/c I ain't never had an account on no FB; I am okay with it since a pic on the web is a pic on the web, pretty much, and hope it generates more traffic here

Last edited:

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
You don't have to do anything. I rarely use FB myself and have no intention of increasing my use.

This is just a way to reach some PNW flyfishers who might not know about us otherwise.
I use Fakebook because I found my Daughter on there. I haven't seen her in damn near 30 years. She is going to visit me in June. Getting happy.