NFR Pizza

Non-fishing related

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
@Salmo_g and @mcswny growing up I did not know you could get toppings on a pizza. On pizza night, my folks just got a large plain cheese pizzas. Probably one of the reasons why was that my parents kept Kosher, so no mixing of meat and dairy. It was a huge victory for me to eat cheeseburgers in the house...lol.

@Salmo_g what makes a NY style pizza NY style is that it has a huge crust and is so thin and floppy and that you need two hands to hold it and/or fold it in half. You can NY style pizza with a variety of toppings just like other pizzas. But since you prefer a crisp crust, this probably not the pizza for you :)

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
@Salmo_g and @mcswny growing up I did not know you could get toppings on a pizza. On pizza night, my folks just got a large plain cheese pizzas. Probably one of the reasons why was that my parents kept Kosher, so no mixing of meat and dairy. It was a huge victory for me to eat cheeseburgers in the house...lol.

@Salmo_g what makes a NY style pizza NY style is that it has a huge crust and is so thin and floppy and that you need two hands to hold it and/or fold it in half. You can NY style pizza with a variety of toppings just like other pizzas. But since you prefer a crisp crust, this probably not the pizza for you :)

Bet it was pretty great when you could start making your own decisions?

giphy.gif

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
When I lived in Seattle the spot to go for pizza was the North Lake Tavern. Hopefully it's still there. It was the pizza I used to grade all other pizzas. My favorite table was near a mural and in the corner there was an inch worm sneaking up behind a french fry with devilish thoughts on his mind. Now that I'm in the Couv' the best is Juliana's. Now I'm hungry and it's snowing Damn!

Bob N

Steelhead
I can still remember studying with classmates for a big test. Then someone would mention Northlake and we would be off to get a pie. After having a heavily meat loaded pizza, it was difficult to wake up or stay awake during the test. The good old days.

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I can still remember studying with classmates for a big test. Then someone would mention Northlake and we would be off to get a pie. After having a heavily meat loaded pizza, it was difficult to wake up or stay awake during the test. The good old days.
So if you went to Udub then you might remember another good pizza place called Picolo's. It wa very near campus and was good but not as good as the North Lake. When in Eugene the place to go is Tracktown Pizza which is across the street from the Matt Knight Arena. And now the memories are flooding in. When I was a frosh at Oregon I had never had a pizza so the kids in the dorm from Bay area took me to Tino's in Eugene for my very first pizza. Traditional Italian restaurant with red and white checkered table cloths and old bottles of Chianti turned into candles with all the wax dripping down. Alas, it is no more........but still a happy time.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
where are some good dough recipes? in the Cooking section of the Forum?
I need a good dough recipe to start.

thanks-dp
8- oz sourdough starter
15- oz 00 Central Milling pizza flour
7.5- oz warm water
1/2 oz barley malt syrup
1/2 oz olive oil
1.5 tsp salt
Mix until blended
Autolyse for 20- minutes
Knead for 10- minutes
Divide into 2- balls and cover for 20 minutes
Proof for 2- hours at room temperature
Ferment in fridge for 8- hours
Roll/toss to desired thickness
Top and bake at 500 degrees until desired doneness.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
When I lived in Seattle the spot to go for pizza was the North Lake Tavern. Hopefully it's still there. It was the pizza I used to grade all other pizzas. My favorite table was near a mural and in the corner there was an inch worm sneaking up behind a french fry with devilish thoughts on his mind. Now that I'm in the Couv' the best is Juliana's. Now I'm hungry and it's snowing Damn!
Unfortunately they closed the doors this month......no more.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yes, it was ate with vigor. The younger pickier one didn't eat the ham but that's because she needs things cut up bite sized. The crust was nice and crisp, sauce had good flavor, good proportions... I got no complaints.
Next time try one with 'pink sauce'... it's a combination of their tomato and garlic cream sauces.

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
Papa Murphy "take and bake" is the best deal in town, but it went from $12 to $18 in just a short time. I often "air fry" mini frozen pizzas ($3) after doctoring it up with whatever leftovers I have in the fridge... cheese, olives, ham, peppers, tomatoes chopped with garlic etc. Twelve minutes, hot and ready...and I don't have leftovers. Of course every one likes cold pizza but too much becomes problematic. Here's a pro tip from a bachelor....The morning after, take the cold pizza and scrape everything off the top onto scrambled eggs into a skillet to make an omelet. Bring it to her as "breakfast in bed"....trust me

Last edited:
Reactions: Zak

O clarkii lewisi

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Have you tried Old School Pizza or Wicked Pies? They make the closest to NY style pizza I have had in the greater Oly area.
Agree @Bruce Baker Old School is great. Have not tried Wicked yet but I will. Cool that the 2 best pizza places in Oly are about a block apart!
Have you tried the Old School take on Hawaiian - Pineapple, jalapenos and pepperoni - yum 🍕

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
So if you went to Udub then you might remember another good pizza place called Picolo's.
Ah, I'd forgotten about Picolo's. If memory serves, an 8" pizza was so thick that my wife and I could barely finish it. Man was it good. Probably wouldn't be considered very healthy at my age now.

Chris Johnson

Steelhead
Looks good. What do you use for red sauce?
Pizza sauce is pretty simple, garlic, olive oil canned tomato(crushed is quicker), salt and pepper. Sauté the garlic, add tomato and let it simmer uncovered, evaporation intensifies the flavor, add small amount of water if it dries out while cooking. Longer is better, add some balsamic vinegar at the end if you like.

Chris Johnson

Steelhead
I like a combo with lotsa' stuff on it. Pepperoni, salami, sausage, onion, mushrooms, olives, green pepper, extra cheese.
3 toppings at the most (not counting cheese). Otherwise the flavors get too muddled.