Pizza oven thread

Smokey Bear

El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity
Forum Supporter
Found this if someone has the means to get it.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
uh yeah. that thing isn't going anywhere.
So I saw on the pizza forums that this guy JUST finished his oven and then had to move. He did some quick research and found he could actually move it with him.

He basically tunneled under the slab—two tunnels. So he could get straps through. Rented a a crane to lift it and then swung it over on a flat bed. All in for the rentals I think it was 500-600

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
So I saw on the pizza forums that this guy JUST finished his oven and then had to move. He did some quick research and found he could actually move it with him.

He basically tunneled under the slab—two tunnels. So he could get straps through. Rented a a crane to lift it and then swung it over on a flat bed. All in for the rentals I think it was 500-600
Huh. I'll be damned. I suppose the physical location of it in relation to the house, fences, etc would also matter for getting all the equipment in place.

I think mine is probably un-movable.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Huh. I'll be damned. I suppose the physical location of it in relation to the house, fences, etc would also matter for getting all the equipment in place.

I think mine is probably un-movable.

I thought about it because a similar thing happened with my oven I built in Estacada. I finished it then 6 months later I moved. Problem was with having to rent back our new house in Portland for a month I didn’t have anywhere to put it. So I just built a better one 🤷‍♂️

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Overall project update:

Obviously, cooking and fires have begun. I have some finish work to do:

- I got some fancy stone veneer from my brother that he had left over from building his house. It's going to go on to the base to cover up the cinder blocks and make it look all fancy.

- I need to do a finish layer of stucco on the dome to smooth it out before painting it with cement/brick paint. I decided to go that route vs the expensive fancy pants finish stucco.

- The current chimney is kind of a stop-gap. The oven sits partially underneath the corner of my gazebo, which is obviously not ideal for smoke. Heat isn't at all an issue as I can put my hand on top of the chimney cap while the fire's going... but the smoke. I'm going to be getting supplies to build a stovepipe that takes the flue above the gazebo. It is just an expense that was out of the budget in the short term, so making do with the smoke for now. Will hopefully be able to add the stovepipe by summer.

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
The current chimney is kind of a stop-gap. The oven sits partially underneath the corner of my gazebo, which is obviously not ideal for smoke. Heat isn't at all an issue as I can put my hand on top of the chimney cap while the fire's going... but the smoke. I'm going to be getting supplies to build a stovepipe that takes the flue above the gazebo. It is just an expense that was out of the budget in the short term, so making do with the smoke for now. Will hopefully be able to add the stovepipe by summer
Once you get it pizza-ripping-hot you once really have visible smoke as it burns pretty cleanly at that heat.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Once you get it pizza-ripping-hot you once really have visible smoke as it burns pretty cleanly at that heat.
Definitely. I got it that hot for a while last night, but didn't really need that level of heat for what I was doing. But the initial start up and adding logs gets a lot of smoke goin. It's less a deal for me personally, not the end of the world... my anxiety struggles when I see the smoke blow over the fence towards my neighbor's house (which is exacerbated by the gazebo keeping the smoke low to the ground).

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Definitely. I got it that hot for a while last night, but didn't really need that level of heat for what I was doing. But the initial start up and adding logs gets a lot of smoke goin. It's less a deal for me personally, not the end of the world... my anxiety struggles when I see the smoke blow over the fence towards my neighbor's house (which is exacerbated by the gazebo keeping the smoke low to the ground).

Trust me, I get that anxiety too. I had a neighbor comment once. But it's Portland so I expect it 🤷‍♂️.

For me, I realized it was the kindling I was using. I get stupid nice cut offs from my friends (art) framing business. KD oak, maple, madrone, etc. and it's all really good kindling side, but it's ULTRA smooth from sanding--which turns out--doesn't catch right away and just kind of smolders. One good split to expose some jagged grain and it catches so much better.

Also, using a propane torch for 30 seconds gets it going real quick to.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Trust me, I get that anxiety too. I had a neighbor comment once. But it's Portland so I expect it 🤷‍♂️.

For me, I realized it was the kindling I was using. I get stupid nice cut offs from my friends (art) framing business. KD oak, maple, madrone, etc. and it's all really good kindling side, but it's ULTRA smooth from sanding--which turns out--doesn't catch right away and just kind of smolders. One good split to expose some jagged grain and it catches so much better.

Also, using a propane torch for 30 seconds gets it going real quick to.
yup I'm using the propane torch method already. Speeds up the process.

But yeah, I can already tell neighbor drama will be in my future. Had comments about my smoker previously, and this is way smokier when I start the fire. By many magnitudes.