Pizza oven thread

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
The real short hand of it is.

1. Lay your foundation.
2. The whole "hearth" (basically the table that the dome sits on) is concrete block dry stacked on the slab and then filled with concrete and rebar.
3. Lay a second slab on top of your hearth (this is where your dome sits).
4. First layer of bricks are your refractory bricks. These are white, extremely light and chalky and essentially reflect heat thats absorbing down from the oven floor. Their job is to limit the loss of heat going down into the hearth.
5. Then lay your firebricks. I don't remember the correct terminology but these are for the lack of a better term, the hardcore firebricks. They're like 9lbs each. They can withstand an insane amount of heat. And naturally they are not cheap.
6. From here you build out your brick laying jig and start laying your dome. The jig is the f#*king coolest part. You create a perfect circle and in the middle you take a caster, remove the wheel, put an 18" piece of wood on the end (the radius of your 36" dome) and a piece of corner metal. Basically, as you go up in the brick courses the stick/right angle jig will give you the exact angle and placement that each brick needs to be laid at.
7.Once your dome is done m you need to build your chimney and arches. This is definitely one of the harder parts and the first two ovens I built were so so, this third one I was much happier with.
8. 2" ceramic insulation blanket goes on, covered with chicken wire
9. a couple layers of homemade stucco
10. A couple layers of acrylic fiberglass stucco (the white, waterproof stuff)
11. Lay the brick countertop
12. COOK PIZZA!

EDIT: Going to try and see if I have photos of the build.

And like I said, I have an insanely detailed pdf that I can send via pm if you want.
It's put together by another forum, and while it's 100% free from them, I do feel a bit odd posting it publicly here.

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
View attachment 68885
I'm still rocking my CC pizza oven, when needed. I'm still looking at building a permanent outdoor cooking area. Which includes a wood fired pizza oven and a full sized walk in smoker.
I recently cooked on an ooni for the first time and they’re pretty dang sweet. The biggest advantage of the real oven is that it’s not just for pizza. Think of it just as an oven and anything that you would cook in your home oven can be cooked in it. My favorite non pizza is babaganoush. The eggplant gets all charred and delicious. We cook everything in it: bread, veggies, steak, cookies fish (this lingcod or one of its friends was cooked in it this weekend).
0CBA80AE-E3A8-4BF6-93A6-19B8A1B1CF7D.jpeg

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I gotta say, this is pretty cool. We’re redoing the yard, and my wife has mentioned pizza ovens.

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
I recently cooked on an ooni for the first time and they’re pretty dang sweet. The biggest advantage of the real oven is that it’s not just for pizza. Think of it just as an oven and anything that you would cook in your home oven can be cooked in it. My favorite non pizza is babaganoush. The eggplant gets all charred and delicious. We cook everything in it: bread, veggies, steak, cookies fish (this lingcod or one of its friends was cooked in it this weekend).
View attachment 68898
I'm way ahead of you on the "it's not just for pizza". I was cooking with a wood fired pizza oven at my host mother's family in Italy back in 1987. They cooked so much in the oven that I was already "trained" on cooking other things. Though they didn't call it a pizza oven, they simply called it an oven. And in the portable pizza oven I have, I've done everything from bread, grilled fish, etc.

BTW that's not an Ooni oven in my pic. I've delivered a lot of them, never cooked with one. The advantage of the one on my pic is I can toss it in as another accessory for my camp stove.

Grayone

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I prefer the traditional European thermal mass style as you can cook in it longer than the igloos which require a fire for the most part to keep the heat up.

Grayone

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I think the plans cost me 12 pair of Sox.

I gave my forms to a friend, but I could probably get them back. Hopefully he took care of them. I even got him most of the brick for free. He never did build. He is in Gresham. (Evan)