Pikeminnow on the fly

FishyJere

Nee Jerry Metcalf
Forum Supporter
Seems this offers some opportunities...

I have caught some, probably by accident, but there is an incentive to consider this as a target activity. I saw a news feed that implied there was a possibility of some pretty good money. Anyone looked into this or, better, tried it out?

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
My first fish I ever caught on a fly I tied were northern pikeminnow back in late 70's when they were northern squawfish.

I think the Columbia river only has a bounty on them locally? I have always enjoyed catching them as they are a native fish and give the osprey, otters and cormorants something to chase and dilute interactions with salmonids.

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
There are a few around...shoot, I occasionally get them as by-catch while fishing for tiger muskies...

eh0LCsz.jpg
PXL_20220501_171725228~2.jpg
PXL_20220501_171728346~2.jpg

Also by-catch while getting after smallies....
270016726_10225053866869130_3713736378165609464_n.jpg

Last edited:

Divad

Whitefish
I would rather catch bluegill on the fly over targeting squaws. Not a very fun fish to jostle with, that being said I do bycatch them during summer head season. I’m pretty sure the payment program is for the Columbia on the east side of the state (?).

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Hook, egg sinker, and Albertsons deli cooked chicken strips… gets one, just ‘bout every cast in my neck of the woods…the Willy is loaded with ‘em. 😉

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Years ago some jerk poured bleach in the Touchet to kill pikeminnow to turn in for money. Killed a lot of other things too. Meth, poison.

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Honestly, they are pretty underwhelming on the fighting scale, but they DO attack streamers far above their weight class at times, often visual which is pretty cool. Plus, no one seems to give this native fish an ounce of respect, so naturally, I'm drawn to them....😆

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
A few guys seem to make a living wage off that bounty program. I always wonder how many hours they put into it. Gotta be a lot.

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 12.34.23 PM.png

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Honestly, they are pretty underwhelming on the fighting scale, but they DO attack streamers far above their weight class at times, often visual which is pretty cool. Plus, no one seems to give this native fish an ounce of respect, so naturally, I'm drawn to them....😆
Any guesses on the weight of that giant one you caught? The WA state record is 7.92 lbs.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
A few guys seem to make a living wage off that bounty program. I always wonder how many hours they put into it. Gotta be a lot.

View attachment 111324
One of former coworker lived just downstream of Wanapum Dam and often spent evenings after work fishing the river. He was a very good walleye and smallmouth angler. One day Max decided to register for the pikeminnow program and started fishing after work and weekends. Pretty soon it was a second job for him. One afternoon he said that he was going to quit fishing because it had become "work". (Work is a four letter word.)

I hear pikeminnow carcasses make good mud bug bait.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
One of former coworker lived just downstream of Wanapum Dam and often spent evenings after work fishing the river. He was a very good walleye and smallmouth angler. One day Max decided to register for the pikeminnow program and started fishing after work and weekends. Pretty soon it was a second job for him. One afternoon he said that he was going to quit fishing because it had become "work". (Work is a four letter word.)

I hear pikeminnow carcasses make good mud bug bait.
probably good sturgeon bait too! although I've never tried.

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
I caught a pretty dang big one on the Yak one time on a purple Chubby Chernobyl. I also caught two in Baum Lake (a small Hat Creek impoundment) at dusk. I didn't realize there were any in there, I'd never heard of them being caught, but they are native to the Sacramento River watershed

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I forgot about this. That black and gold woolly bugger has found more big uglies than any other fly for me.
1713571677024.png

Last edited:

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Caught a lot of them on the Spokane back in the 1960s, using a Wooly Worm. Really lousy fighters...a strike then you're hauling in a log.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
When fishing the Yakima, we never cast into the slow frogwater, lest the fly be sullied by an NPM.
Used to call it the 'Squaby Water'.

Dogsnfish

Steelhead

View attachment 111324
Buddy of mine was serious about it and saved enough over a few years to get a new truck. To the OP, I have caught them with a fly rod. Got lucky once last year when the surface was full of emergers and they were taking parachute patterns. But that was rare, and they are not fighters

Last edited: