Other Hobbies?

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
You have a mouthwatering setup. But I was trying to not let my inner nerd bleed through. Excellent cable management.

I'd love to take credit for that, but I ended up buying a pre built. I know, I know. Lol. Just didn't have any interest in building one, or sourcing parts and all that. I'm far too lazy lol.

I've been unbelievably happy with this setup though. Ended up going with a 4090 and my God is that thing a beast. Actually playing Cyberpunk right now on all ultra graphic settings and its incredible how good it looks and how well it plays. Played this game some on console a couple years ago and it's night and day how much better it looks and runs vs the console.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'd love to take credit for that, but I ended up buying a pre built. I know, I know. Lol. Just didn't have any interest in building one, or sourcing parts and all that. I'm far too lazy lol.

I've been unbelievably happy with this setup though. Ended up going with a 4090 and my God is that thing a beast. Actually playing Cyberpunk right now on all ultra graphic settings and its incredible how good it looks and how well it plays. Played this game some on console a couple years ago and it's night and day how much better it looks and runs vs the console.
4090? God damn. Dude im running an old RX 590 LOL. I built it primarily cause i wanted to be better at my job so i did the full build and learned a ton.
Then my 17 year old step daughter that ive been raising since she was 6 got into it so i saw that as an opportunity to stay close so built her one too. Now 5 years later her and I have Daddy Daughter game night every wednesday. She really takes genuine satisfaction when kills me with a drone bomb.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
4090? God damn. Dude im running an old RX 590 LOL. I built it primarily cause i wanted to be better at my job so i did the full build and learned a ton.
Then my 17 year old step daughter that ive been raising since she was 6 got into it so i saw that as an opportunity to stay close so built her one too. Now 5 years later her and I have Daddy Daughter game night every wednesday. She really takes genuine satisfaction when kills me with a drone bomb.

Haha That's awesome. I have had a lot of great gaming times with my son as well. Now he's grown and moved out but has his own PC so we can still play online. He generally whips my ass at most games lol

I wouldn't mind learning to build some day, but for the sake of just wanting simple and not spend a lot of time and effort learning and sourcing and all that I went the easy way. It being my first true gaming PC I just wanted to get going. It's been a fun journey. Lots to learn. Playing on mouse and keyboard sure does take some getting used to coming from console but I sure do love the precision control that a mouse can provide for a lot of games. Plus I play a lot of rpgs and many of them are so much nicer to play with m&k.

Ya I kinda went a bit over the top with this setup, but I wanted to make sure I started down this path without frustration or limitations so I kinda went nuts lol.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Haha That's awesome. I have had a lot of great gaming times with my son as well. Now he's grown and moved out but has his own PC so we can still play online. He generally whips my ass at most games lol

I wouldn't mind learning to build some day, but for the sake of just wanting simple and not spend a lot of time and effort learning and sourcing and all that I went the easy way. It being my first true gaming PC I just wanted to get going. It's been a fun journey. Lots to learn. Playing on mouse and keyboard sure does take some getting used to coming from console but I sure do love the precision control that a mouse can provide for a lot of games. Plus I play a lot of rpgs and many of them are so much nicer to play with m&k.

Ya I kinda went a bit over the top with this setup, but I wanted to make sure I started down this path without frustration or limitations so I kinda went nuts lol.
Yeah buy once cry once. You are future proofed for a long time. At our age time is valuable and building a pc will cost you 4x more time that you think and will cost more than ya think too LOL. Its totally like fly tying. Later.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
I must have missed this thread the first time around. Other than fishing and an infatuation with fast cars that has been with me my whole life, I've dabbled at a bunch of things enough to develop passing proficiency. I started playing guitar as an adult and it brings me a lot of peace pretty much every evening before bed. I have ZERO innate musical talent which bothered me when I was younger but these days, I've accepted my eternal beginner status and just look for things to play that fit my skillset. 90% of the time it's classical guitar with brief forays into playing with a pick which I find really unnatural.

There are a few more out at the cabin. I think the grand total is 4 nylon classicals, 5 steel strings, 3 electrics, a bass and forgive the banjo at the far left. My wife is very understanding...

axes.jpg

Last edited:

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I must have missed this thread the first time around. Other than fishing and an infatuation with fast cars that has been with me my whole life, I've dabbled at a bunch of things enough to develop passing proficiency. I started playing guitar as an adult and it brings me a lot of peace pretty much every evening before bed. I have ZERO innate musical talent which bothered me when I was younger but these days, I've accepted my eternal beginner status and just look for things to play that fit my skillset. 90% of the time it's classical guitar with brief forays into playing with a pick which I find really unnatural.

There are a few more out at the cabin. I think the grand total is 4 nylon classicals, 5 steel strings, 3 electrics, a bass and forgive the banjo at the far left. My wife is very understanding...

View attachment 71847
IMG_2623.jpegIMG_2624.jpeg
I can sympathize with your affliction…

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
I can sympathize with your affliction…
Ha! Indeed.

The photo doesn't show the 10-15 others that have come and gone over the last 20 years. The same formula applies for so many things - "How many guitars do I need?" the answer is "N+1" where N is the number of guitars I have right now. "If I just had a Buscarino archtop, I'd be set..." ;)

Also applies to cool cars, bikes, fishing rods, ad infinitum...

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Ha! Indeed.

The photo doesn't show the 10-15 others that have come and gone over the last 20 years. The same formula applies for so many things - "How many guitars do I need?" the answer is "N+1" where N is the number of guitars I have right now. "If I just had a Buscarino archtop, I'd be set..." ;)

Also applies to cool cars, bikes, fishing rods, ad infinitum...
I’ve got a couple guitars in another home…and my 3/4 acoustic I bought for my daughter when she started learning that now lives in my jeep…

I just need a 12 string…hehe

Cliff

Steelhead
I'm an upland bird hunter, mostly for quail and chukar, and I've been hunting over English setters for many years. Several years ago I also got into turkey hunting and it's also a huge passion for me. It's like big game hunting without the hassle. Away from hunting I enjoy shooting long distance rifle, pistol shooting, and reloading.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Do you know how to tune a banjo?

Nobody does.
LOL, too true.

That banjo is actually a pretty nice instrument (for a banjo), an OME Mira and it's still a bit finicky to keep it in tune. And that's coming from someone who spends most of their time with nylon string guitars that constantly go out of tune due to string stretch.

The arthritis in both my thumbs is getting worse so it's likely the banjo is my future. The whole clawhammer thing has me a bit stumped at the moment though, due to my lack of rhythm.

The Buscarino Cabaret in the background is my daily driver - a classical/archtop crossover.

IMG_3622 3.JPG