Orvis Bug-Out Backpack?

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Not sure I get the aversion of taking the pack off to get into it. I carry 30+ pounds most days in an Osprey Kestrel 48, camera, lenses, first aid, food, drink, fly boxes, jacket, mouche spry, etc, feels good to take hit off. Also gives me time to slow down, watch the water, take in my surroundings. But that's just me...

cheers

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I'll tell you what, @mcswny , once we hit the Deschutes together I'll let you carry all of my shit in my big O backpack and then you can decide for yourself.... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

seems fair to me....

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Not sure I get the aversion of taking the pack off to get into it. I carry 30+ pounds most days in an Osprey Kestrel 48, camera, lenses, first aid, food, drink, fly boxes, jacket, mouche spry, etc, feels good to take hit off. Also gives me time to slow down, watch the water, take in my surroundings. But that's just me...

cheers

100%! If I'm out hiking and fishing far from the truck, multiple snack breaks are required and who likes a moving snack break?

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
It should be noted that it also makes the perfect carry-on bag should you decide to go to Baja.... :LOL:

But seriously, glad you like it & best fishing backpack I've ever used. I felt like it was a bargain when I paid full price for it!

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have the Fishpond Thunderhead submersible. I tuck the net between my back and the backpack with the net bag reachable behind my head. This keeps the net secure, out of the way when stripping and casting, and is fairly comfortable. They also sell a net holster attachment I have not tried yet.

It gets most used when salmon fishing because it doubles as a “cooler” when fishing coho off the beach. Throw a couple of refreezable ice packs in there and it keeps you and the fish cool on warm, coho beach days. It triples as a boat bag as well. I have also been very happy with the updated resealable zipper on the new model. That was my only issue with my previous one.

View attachment 54098
I have this same bag…