SFR "Open Seat" postings for fishing club

Sorta fishing-related

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
I recently joined a fly fishing club. Years ago I was an active member of a TU chapter in Upstate NY. Served on the board for several years and a couple of terms at president. This cured me of joining "clubs", but now at 71 and finally admitting I should probably not fish alone as much as I do, I thought the local club would allow me to connect with other fly fishermen looking for a partner for outings. What I am interested in proposing to this club is an interactive tool where folks could list their fishing plans to the community (club) and look of one or more partners to join them. This would include last minute plans with only a few days notice for local or short trips.

What I'm looking for are suggestions on what would be the best (low cost, easy to maintain) platform for this type of interaction. I want this to be interactive by users so someone doesn't have to coordinate and publish the thing (i.e., email newsletter). Perhaps setting up a FB group would be easiest or maybe we could have new forum here. I don't know most of the members yet and don't know how much time they spend with any internet platform, so I want to keep it as simple to use as possible.

Any thoughts or experience with this sort of thing among PNWFF? Can you think of any pitfalls to avoid? Thanks.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
People occasionally post open seat notices here in this forum, so there is that. I'm not sure how else to make anything more formal than that work here however.

The thing about your post that really hit me is your reference to last minute plans with a few days notice. That's an oxymoron to me. A few days notice equals "long range planning" in the way I plan my fishing trips.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Does your club have a website? If it does, is it kept active and up to date? What @RCF suggests holds some truth; I won't mention the names of a number of lakes I fish, others like Lenore - it's huge, relatively unfished anymore (except for about a month beginning mid-March) so hot spotting Lenore isn't (at least for me) an issue. Good luck.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
When ever I went fishing, it was a spur of the moment thing. It's still the same for me at 87. This is one of the reasons that I fish alone. I'm going to start doing that again next year. I'll tell the wife where I'm going but she never ever went with me so how would she ever find me. Another lost cause.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
When ever I went fishing, it was a spur of the moment thing. It's still the same for me at 87. This is one of the reasons that I fish alone. I'm going to start doing that again next year. I'll tell the wife where I'm going but she never ever went with me so how would she ever find me. Another lost cause.

you park next to creeks as wide as your fly rod, fish from your tailgate and you don't travel over passes.
The places are limited.

The question is.....will she actually go looking for you.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
People occasionally post open seat notices here in this forum, so there is that. I'm not sure how else to make anything more formal than that work here however.

The thing about your post that really hit me is your reference to last minute plans with a few days notice. That's an oxymoron to me. A few days notice equals "long range planning" in the way I plan my fishing trips.

@Evan B . Perhaps an open seat sub might be a good thing.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
I think a sub forum that was only available to forum supporters would be a good thing for those looking for a fishing partner. I really wouldn't have a problem sharing fishing locations with anyone who is a forum supporter here. I don't want to broadcast fishing spots to lurkers who just stop by.
Even at 57, I realize the antics of my youth don't jive with what's in the best interest of my family. I am fortunate that I have a lot of fishing buds, but there are times where my schedule and their's don't align. In such a circumstance, it would be cool to post an open seat for piece of mind, form a new friendship, and maybe share or glean some knowledge about a fishing destination.