Official 2024 NFL Season Discussion

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I’m a 52 year Raider fan, back to the days of the Mad Bomber Darryl Lamonica and the AFL…and after Al traded Gruden to the Bucs for cash, I’ve lost respect for him running the team. Sure, Mark isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed, but at least he had the sense of hiring a GM…usually owners make lousy GM’s, and Al was one of them the last 10 years he ran the

No doubt Al lost a step the last few years running the team . Plus Mark has never had a step .

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
should be a fun 2024 season, lotta team changes across the NFL, some fine young QB's coming out in the draft. Desperation season, however, for those teams with aging QB's, the window rapidly closing.
Chiefs, Niners, Bengals, Ravens, Eagles, and Lions the current fave's across the various power rankings. Been a while since there was that much parity at the top

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
should be a fun 2024 season, lotta team changes across the NFL, some fine young QB's coming out in the draft. Desperation season, however, for those teams with aging QB's, the window rapidly closing.
Chiefs, Niners, Bengals, Ravens, Eagles, and Lions the current fave's across the various power rankings. Been a while since there was that much parity at the top
I never get too excited about QB’s coming out of college, a lot of flops in those top draft choices . Those scouts get fooled , example Purdy , or for that matter Brady , sixth round . Everybody gushing over Maye ,and Williams , time will tell .

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
It is a crapshoot
also comes down to whether the system they were in during college prepared them for their new OC and scheme, and critically is there a decent offensive line...how many promising QB's came out of college only to mangled and manhandled due to a crap OL...why one of my favorite QB's, Andrew Luck, had to retire early from the constant beating he took.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
also comes down to whether the system they were in during college prepared them for their new OC and scheme, and critically is there a decent offensive line...how many promising QB's came out of college only to mangled and manhandled due to a crap OL...why one of my favorite QB's, Andrew Luck, had to retire early from the constant beating he took.
Granted the beating happens , but I disagree , the pros are a much higher level , and faster game . They may have played a pro style offense in college, but no where near the skill level of the pros .

Big reason they are brought in slower in the pros before they start . Another reason for the beating getting thrown in there too soon , holding the ball too long etc etc . It’s not always the OL. They may have that great looking skill set in college, and just can’t handle the pros , no matter how good they looked in college.

Last edited:

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
There are always exceptions.
Dan Marino (1984), Kurt Warner (1999), Tom Brady (2001), Ben Roethlisberger (2005), Colin Kaepernick (2012), Russell Wilson (2013), Joe Burrow (2021), and Brock Purdy (2023), all second year QB's who led their teams to SB's, four of them winning.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
There are always exceptions.
Dan Marino (1984), Kurt Warner (1999), Tom Brady (2001), Ben Roethlisberger (2005), Colin Kaepernick (2012), Russell Wilson (2013), Joe Burrow (2021), and Brock Purdy (2023), all second year QB's who led their teams to SB's, four of them winning.
Good research. 😄

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Lots to think about if you are a defensive player trying to tackle someone if that rule is adopted.
SF

Good point. The "hip drop tackle" rule is well intentioned, but will be extremely difficult to call on the field. 15 yard penalty too. Tough times to be a defender. Maybe this rule will mostly be used to issue fines after the game versus a game altering penalty?

Mike Jones' SB34 game winning tackle would be illegal starting in 2024?

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Good point. The "hip drop tackle" rule is well intentioned, but will be extremely difficult to call on the field. 15 yard penalty too. Tough times to be a defender. Maybe this rule will mostly be used to issue fines after the game versus a game altering penalty?

Mike Jones' SB34 game winning tackle would be illegal starting in 2024?

What I saw in the video was a player being pulled down by the upper thigh, not the hip.

Divad

Whitefish
Kickoff Changes:

- Pooch and squib kicks (that don’t make it to the 20 yard line) are treated as if the ball were to go out of bounds, stopping play and places the ball on the 40.
- A kick that goes straight into the end zone or beyond and touched back is now awarded the 30yrd line.
- A kick that rolls into the end zone must be touched back and then places the ball on the 20.
- If the ball lands between 20-0 yard line it must be returned.

I think I got that correct. Why not just move the kicker back 10-15 yards… Oh yeah and 0-20 yards is now called the “landing zone”. For **** sake.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Personally, I have zero issue with these changes. The only downside is that it'll make it even more difficult to officiate (or maybe that's a bonus for a forum who LOVES to complain about the officiating.). At least it'll inject a little juice into the kicking game.

That said, the tackling one seems like it'll be rather tricky.

Divad

Whitefish
Personally, I have zero issue with these changes. The only downside is that it'll make it even more difficult to officiate (or maybe that's a bonus for a forum who LOVES to complain about the officiating.). At least it'll inject a little juice into the kicking game.

That said, the tackling one seems like it'll be rather tricky.
They could have also moved the ball back 15 yards and had the same effect, with considerably less rules. Should be interesting.

The hip drop tackle is just nonsense, get ready for some game altering and inconsistent penalties🤠

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
They could have also moved the ball back 15 yards and had the same effect, with considerably less rules. Should be interesting.

The hip drop tackle is just nonsense, get ready for some game altering and inconsistent penalties🤠
I have no idea what that type of tackle even looks like! I'd guess most have just heard of it and just recently googled it.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
This won’t be the last bunch of new rules.
Too many rules for the players to think about, which kills the free flow of the game in my opinion.
SF