NFR NFL 2023 Season

Non-fishing related

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
totally agree with your points....buuuut, much like the kid from Detroit (who cried because his dad died before he could see where Detroit was headed this post season), the fact is that you really have no idea what that person may be going through in that moment....that's all.

Fair enough. It just reminded me of the brats you see destroying their TV and the like....

Chris Johnson

Steelhead
I love blaming refs as much as the next person. But bills coming out of 2 minute warning had a terrible game plan and handed the game away.
Josh Allen made some bad decisions and bad throws at the end of the game, pressure got to him I guess.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Yeah, saw a bit on Travis opening a school of music for disadvantaged kids and so give him major props for that.

Also rebuilds homes for the elderly, didn't play on the last week of the schedule, even though he could have set a record (needed just 16 yards) because he thought it would be selfish, etc. They are just good folks, parents seem to have raised them right.

cheers and Go Chiefs

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Except the spring leagues have shown it absolutely works and doesn't slow the game down. If anything it can speed some calls up. Think of how many times the refs have to take several minutes to watch over and over to the have a meeting, take a commercial break (which, I know, is always welcome by the league) only to then announce their bad call.

Like I've said, I'm sure the problem is complicated, but it's a problem with a proven solution they choose not to employ.
The ref thing has been eternal. And no matter what they do some folks will never be happy.
We used to watch games with no instant replay. Then we got instant replay. Then we got super slo-mo replay. Then we got the official on the field review, and the call to New York, and the red flag, and the retired official in the booth.

Some of these calls that people bitch about can only be seen from one specific camera angle and single stop frame reviews. And to reverse a call it has to be clear and evident. Clear and evident in 1/100 second of time? GTFO!

I suspect, in fact I can guarantee, that there will be controversy in the spring leagues too. We won't hear about it as much because the sport isn't watched and supported as much as the NFL.

I think some of the rules need to be tweaked. Holding is one rule that I despise. Let them hold. If a lineman doesn't want to be held then take care of it. By week 3 all of them will have their fingers in casts. If you are a receiver and don't want to be held then get clear. The old go long and I'm going to throw it short interference play needs to be ruled as uncatchable and no foul.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
The ref thing has been eternal. And no matter what they do some folks will never be happy.
We used to watch games with no instant replay. Then we got instant replay. Then we got super slo-mo replay. Then we got the official on the field review, and the call to New York, and the red flag, and the retired official in the booth.

Some of these calls that people bitch about can only be seen from one specific camera angle and single stop frame reviews. And to reverse a call it has to be clear and evident. Clear and evident in 1/100 second of time? GTFO!

I suspect, in fact I can guarantee, that there will be controversy in the spring leagues too. We won't hear about it as much because the sport isn't watched and supported as much as the NFL.

I think some of the rules need to be tweaked. Holding is one rule that I despise. Let them hold. If a lineman doesn't want to be held then take care of it. By week 3 all of them will have their fingers in casts. If you are a receiver and don't want to be held then get clear. The old go long and I'm going to throw it short interference play needs to be ruled as uncatchable and no foul.
The issue isn't the ones with no clear angle or not enough to overturn. The issue is the increase in egregious, clear-as-day calls/non-calls that have the appearance of being one-sided and always come at crucial moments. nobody expects perfection, but there seems to be an awful lot of those ones that leave anyone with eyes wondering that the hell is going on.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
The issue isn't the ones with no clear angle or not enough to overturn. The issue is the increase in egregious, clear-as-day calls/non-calls that have the appearance of being one-sided and always come at crucial moments. nobody expects perfection, but there seems to be an awful lot of those ones that leave anyone with eyes wondering that the hell is going on.
And those plays are discovered by stop frame reviews.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Yet you keep bringing it up, said "Refs in the bag for KC", which is of course, nonsense.
That wasn't me that posted that. I haven't made any actual ref complaints other than my general "they can fix it if they want to" response to the KC one.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Apologies, my bad, I will delete
Aw, come on now friend. That was just me making the standard NFL conspiracy joke about how the league wants specific teams to win and will make that happen by hook or crook. 5 years ago it would have been about Brady and the Pats.

I'm a seahawks fan, I don't particularly care one way or the other about the Chiefs. Nobody likes teams that win too much for too long, but Mahomes is crazy talented, Kelce seems like a good dude, Andy Reid is like a jolly walrus.

I just get tired of seeing bad calls that have a clear camera angle showing them to be bunk. As I said before, either get rid of all replay and we can all just live with the human element, or make every effort to do it right. Even with every effort, there will still be lots of judgement calls for everyone to argue with. I just hate the ones where it's obvious someone screwed up.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
And it's worth noting that Josh Allen absolutely DID get away with a illegal forward pass in last nights game as well. But that's not the example I used because all KC had to do was throw the challenge flag. Reply would have instantly fixed it. Would a spring-league like sky judge have also fixed the issue without having to deal with a challenge flag? Of course, and that's why I advocate for having one. But at the very least there is a currently existing remedy for KC if they want it in a situation like that, just drop the red flag.

The Bills had no recourse for that bad PI call because you can't challenge a penalty, even if it's clearly wrong.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Aw, come on now friend. That was just me making the standard NFL conspiracy joke about how the league wants specific teams to win and will make that happen by hook or crook. 5 years ago it would have been about Brady and the Pats.

Well, it was a conspiracy when it was the Pats, nobody's arguing that ;)

Cheers, and Go Chiefs!!

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
TV commentary is fine. I don't get the hate that some people have for particular announcers. I like some of the TV guys better than others, but whatever. It doesn't make or break a game for me. Different strokes for different folks though.

I will say that I've enjoyed Steve Raible on the Hawks radio broadcasts for decades now. I think Seattle has been lucky across its sports teams to have some very good people on the job. Raible, Neihaus, Calabro, Rondeau, etc. The Kraken smartly jumped right into the tradition with quality hires of Forslund and Fitzhugh.