NFR NFL 2023 Season

Non-fishing related

Divad

Whitefish
, sucking down $20M more than the franchise tag option next yr.

I hope he plays like a $50M qb and my skepticism is squashed.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Just gotta wonder how Geno would perform with an O-line like the Eagles. Hawks were soft/injured in middle and two rookie tackles who performed well but room for improvement. I’m glad they kept him.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter

Divad

Whitefish
Do incentives affect cap room? I’m guessing not in which case I really like the breakdown from Mike Garafolo (thanks @Josh) compared to the early news yesterday.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Do the 49ers have a QB yet?

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter

Divad

Whitefish
Article leaves a lot to desire. Either reporters use incentives and bonus interchangeably or they have drastic different meaning. (I’m thinking the latter).

Pretty much every news outlet has no idea on the cap hit right now but we only had $24M in space available before signing. He better learn to thrive with what he has cause there isn’t much on the table to work with anymore.

Thank God the Rule of 51 exists or our draft picks would be getting lolipops.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Signing bonuses and option bonuses count against the cap on a prorated schedule equal to the number of years on the contract.
As the article states, incentive bonuses are one of 2 types...likely or not likely, and do not count against the cap if determined as not likely to be earned, based on previous years production.

A more in depth explanation here.

Hawks are 8th in the league with cap space...
They are good, as in the top 25% of the league in cap space available with 51 players under contract.

Divad

Whitefish
Big thank you @Mossback for your help understanding this! That RussellStreet article is very helpful. I would love to know the details of what the incentive requires for Geno, maybe they'll release that soon.

Good to hear our current cap space is better than most too.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Ravens apply non exclusive franchise tag on Lamar Jackson…

Last edited:

Divad

Whitefish
I listened to the Pete Carrol interview this morning and I’m checking my Geno resentment at the door. Sounds like Geno chose to structure his contract this way with so much performance pay (incentives), betting on himself and keeping a team friendly deal.

Classy friggin move.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
They could probably win the west without one this year. :eek:
The genius of Shanahan is that the offense can be run by nearly any pro qb. They are replacable. It's the holy grail in the salary cap era. If he ever had Joe Burrow or even Mac Jones/ Tua Tagliviola/ Jalen Hurts type they'd win more. Their QB's have not been above average yet they are consistently good.

It is all about line play. Even then you don't need a 350 lb LT. So without a 40 mil qb and 20 mil LT, you have space to pay other players.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Honest inquiry. Have the Seahawks ever had a truly great O-Line? I am not familiar with hawks history prior to Max Unger