Nextcast Core 30

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
How do Nexcast lines compare to Bridge lines ? Or is it just too much personal preference as it usually is with spey lines ? And do any of you all keep fishing your Rage line in the winter ? Have read that some do with lighter tips. Maybe not a bad idea with the low water we’re having now.
I was tossing my Rage line today, with an Airflo polyleader fast sink and sometimes a weighted fly. But when the wind blew a little I was kinda wishing I had the Skagit on. And it’s not like I caught a fish, but I have caught several this year on this setup.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
How do Nexcast lines compare to Bridge lines ? Or is it just too much personal preference as it usually is with spey lines ? And do any of you all keep fishing your Rage line in the winter ? Have read that some do with lighter tips. Maybe not a bad idea with the low water we’re having now.

Personally I ring the rage is a lesser line than the zone. The rage is good and has some loop stability but for the length window the zone or even the finder are better lines and more versatile. Just an opinion and others will likely have different results.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Never heard of this line… is it similar to rage compact type? Tweener type line? Good for switch?

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Never heard of this line… is it similar to rage compact type? Tweener type line? Good for switch

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Just FYI - the Nextcast Core 30 is a longer belly Skagit line. With tips your total casting length is 40-45', which for me is a lot more enjoyable to cast with 14' + rods.

I really like the Airflo Rage, but only for polyleaders (it's a Scandi line, not Skagit). It's my summer go to line for fishing surface patterns, and it will throw sinking polys or light tips if needed.

I'm only familiar with the Bridge lines from what I've read, but their Wintertide line sounds like it might be comparable to the Core 30.

Last edited:

GOTY

Steelhead
I've fished the wintertide a lot and enjoy it, but I wouldn't really call it a "longer skagit" in terms of how it fishes. It's 34ft at 600 grains, I think the closest nextcast comp is a winter authority 55 (36ft at 580grn and they fish similarly). Handles tips and stuff fine but it wouldn't be my choice for heavy tips and rabbit leeches.

The Bridge Torrent is their "Skagit" line, and it hits 30ft at 650 grains, so it is slightly longer than the zone (~2.5 ft, so kind of splitting hairs). Not sure how it casts though.

The flight of the zone is more stable than most skagits and can handle t14 and bunny leeches no problem at those grain weights.

I've never fished the core30.