Nextcast Core 30

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter

Anyone have any experience throwing one of these around?

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I don't have experience with these but it's pretty hard to imagine improving on the coastal if you need a skagit. They are smooth and powerful as anyone would need and the intermediate front end make swinging at depth idiot proof. Me personally I'm a zone man and only bust out the coastal on short rods and high banks.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Ditto what DC said. Don't have experience with the core, but the coastal is pretty sweet, and pretty sure the core is just a rebranded coastal head with some minor tweaks. The F1 (vs. the FF) is nice though.

skyrise

Steelhead
Any fly shops up north here carry Nexcast ?
And would this “Coastal” cast like a commando head ?

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
I don't have experience with these but it's pretty hard to imagine improving on the coastal if you need a skagit. They are smooth and powerful as anyone would need and the intermediate front end make swinging at depth idiot proof. Me personally I'm a zone man and only bust out the coastal on short rods and high banks.

I’m looking at the 600gr head for my 8133. A 30’ long skagit head is very interesting for big river hits. And they also have the F1 configuration that I like so much. In that grain weight the Zone is 26’. I’m not sure how long the coastal is, I don’t see it listed on the site. I fished a WA45 with 15’ rio tips about 50% of the time last year and an older rio skagit the other 50%. If I could meet in the middle I’d be happy to stick to one head and then I could fish whatever fly strikes my fancy without changing heads and adjusting casting mechanics. Once upon a time I use to fish an Airflo Rage with tips up to 100gr or so on my 7126, a 570gr rage is 31’ and has more taper than the CORE30. Might also be interesting.

I just want to make long stable, easy going casts when I need it, and I want to be able to fish a 4” sparse rabbit strip leech with a cone head without changing heads. I have ample casting room and easy wades in these scenarios. This isn’t my high bank stick.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’m looking at the 600gr head for my 8133. A 30’ long skagit head is very interesting for big river hits. And they also have the F1 configuration that I like so much. In that grain weight the Zone is 26’. I’m not sure how long the coastal is, I don’t see it listed on the site. I fished a WA45 with 15’ rio tips about 50% of the time last year and an older rio skagit the other 50%. If I could meet in the middle I’d be happy to stick to one head and then I could fish whatever fly strikes my fancy without changing heads and adjusting casting mechanics. Once upon a time I use to fish an Airflo Rage with tips up to 100gr or so on my 7126, a 570gr rage is 31’ and has more taper than the CORE30. Might also be interesting.

I just want to make long stable, easy going casts when I need it, and I want to be able to fish a 4” sparse rabbit strip leech with a cone head without changing heads. I have ample casting room and easy wades in these scenarios. This isn’t my high bank stick.

Ahhh, the elusive 30' skagit head. I hear ya brother.

I found an old Delta multi-tip this year and am just going to fish WH style feather wings and simple marabou patters. Seriously considering grabbing Westberg's FF and cutting it back though....

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Any fly shops up north here carry Nexcast ?
And would this “Coastal” cast like a commando head ?

It's a longer head. The commando is kinda a thing of it's own. The coastal is more stable in the air. The commando jacks more gains in tighter areas. The in between would be the scout. More stable than the commando but not as powerful.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
My Highlander 116079 throws this with ease. It's a pleasure to cast. Comes with 15 foot, 150 grain tips. Works great with Skagit casts and spey casts.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
My Highlander 116079 throws this with ease. It's a pleasure to cast. Comes with 15 foot, 150 grain tips. Works great with Skagit casts and spey casts.

I like the sound of that, I feel like I’ve been recommended this line before. I keep sticking to either a skagit or a WA45 because I’m either stubborn or lazy but last spring I kinda hit my limit. I need to try a new line that will hopefully cover all my big river bases.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I found a Delta multi-tip and have been loving it on a 8142. It throws 15 tips up to type 6 so far with classic flies up to basic marabou flies. Thats good enough for my style these days. Still have a skagit rig for bigger stuff but hoping I don't need it.

skyrise

Steelhead
How do Nexcast lines compare to Bridge lines ? Or is it just too much personal preference as it usually is with spey lines ? And do any of you all keep fishing your Rage line in the winter ? Have read that some do with lighter tips. Maybe not a bad idea with the low water we’re having now.