New Video: Horse packing, backpacking, and Fly Fishing

This was trip that has been sitting partially done on my hard drives for over a year. My wife finally said I couldn't work on any new projects till I kicked this one out the door, so here it is! I really wanted to get my kids up into the alpine zones for some time now, but we just never made the time. So I finally said, lets do a combination trip of horsepacking, backpacking (and of course some fly fishing). My oldest at the time was really into horses, so I thought it would be fun (and easier on our backs) if we horsepacked in the first day since that's when our gear would be the heaviest. We then ended up caching half of our food at the lower lake, and then made the grueling climb up to the high lake. This was around 2000 feet of elevation in 2.9 miles. So a bit of a butt kicker. Anyway hope you enjoy the pictures and video.

Alpine Lakes Thumbnail_1.123.1.jpgIMG_6904.jpgIMG_6806.jpegIMG_6918.jpegIMG_6953.jpeg

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
This was trip that has been sitting partially done on my hard drives for over a year. My wife finally said I couldn't work on any new projects till I kicked this one out the door, so here it is! I really wanted to get my kids up into the alpine zones for some time now, but we just never made the time. So I finally said, lets do a combination trip of horsepacking, backpacking (and of course some fly fishing). My oldest at the time was really into horses, so I thought it would be fun (and easier on our backs) if we horsepacked in the first day since that's when our gear would be the heaviest. We then ended up caching half of our food at the lower lake, and then made the grueling climb up to the high lake. This was around 2000 feet of elevation in 2.9 miles. So a bit of a butt kicker. Anyway hope you enjoy the pictures and video.

View attachment 93173View attachment 93174View attachment 93175View attachment 93176View attachment 93177

Great video! Nice soundtrack, too.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Great video, beautiful country and a beautiful family you have. Great job of getting them out into the high country and making memories they'll remember for ever!

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
This was trip that has been sitting partially done on my hard drives for over a year. My wife finally said I couldn't work on any new projects till I kicked this one out the door, so here it is! I really wanted to get my kids up into the alpine zones for some time now, but we just never made the time. So I finally said, lets do a combination trip of horsepacking...
That was beautifully done; really moving! Thanks for sharing it.

Very nice! Had you ever ridden a horse before? Looks fun! Not the hike the second day, that might kill me! LOL!
I have ridden horses before ... but not something I do regularly. My sister is a horse person so grew up with a pony, and ride horses with her whenever we visit her in Montana.
Great video, beautiful country and a beautiful family you have. Great job of getting them out into the high country and making memories they'll remember for ever!
Aww thanks, I think they are pretty special too!

goinoregon

Just Hatched

View attachment 93173View attachment 93174View attachment 93175View attachment 93176View attachment 93177

hey bud. my gal and i did the same trip about 5 yrs ago. used three peaks outfitters - they were great. we stayed at the lower lake, and day hiked, out and about. we did the upper lake like you did - wholly cow, that was a hike, and we only had day packs on. i lost count of the number of downed trees we had to climb over.... nice video, and good to see you got the kids up there. go

hey bud. my gal and i did the same trip about 5 yrs ago. used three peaks outfitters - they were great. we stayed at the lower lake, and day hiked, out and about. we did the upper lake like you did - wholly cow, that was a hike, and we only had day packs on. i lost count of the number of downed trees we had to climb over.... nice video, and good to see you got the kids up there. go
I was worried about the kids, but they kicked my butt up that hike. Did you take a fly rod with you? I didn't take it up to the top lake, but I did see fish in up there if you go back.

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I love your videos and reports, love seeing your kids involved! Thanks for sharing your adventures!!

goinoregon

Just Hatched
I was worried about the kids, but they kicked my butt up that hike. Did you take a fly rod with you? I didn't take it up to the top lake, but I did see fish in up there if you go back.
we didnt take fly rods. very beautiful lake/area. we just hung out, ate our snacks, and headed back down. should have brought more water ! a day or two later we were hiking up the main lake right before the pac crest trail and ran into a medium sized bear. it was munching on huckleberries. we ran into the horsepacker up on the main trail later, and they saw a large black bear further up the trail. i have been thinking of reconnecting with three peaks , and try another pack-in somewhere, but have not got around to it.