New bobber gives you “20%-100% more takes”!

Ron McNeal

Sound, Light, and Frequency...............
Forum Supporter
FWIW, Fulling Mill was unhappy with the first commercial run of these and has re-worked production so as to offer uniform quality and will have them available for sale here in the States later this Summer. Seriously...

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Now you post this. I just ordered 3 bags from floats unlimited! I suppose I'll never catch another fish.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Lol! It's just a small ice fishing float; very common and been around forever. They're a buck apiece.
If you're fishing a heavy jig fly, you can rig it as a slip bobber, but for very small/light nymphs it needs to be fixed in place like the fancy one in the video...which means you can only fish it shallow, unless you have a 15 foot net.
I'm curious how much his special flies weigh in order to cock that float!
1000006607.jpg

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Just match the dots-

@Irafly do you concur?
Man bobber fishing is complicated.

Paul, I like a lot about what is being said. I agree with the count down and the way the indicator lays in order to determine if something might be fouled, I agree with the increased visual that you get when the indicator isn’t round, and I like the idea of how it casts and decreases drag when setting. Not sure though how I’m going to change my tattoo to look like one.

As @Northern mentioned, these limit your overall depth you can fish effectively.

FWIW, Fulling Mill was unhappy with the first commercial run of these and has re-worked production so as to offer uniform quality and will have them available for sale here in the States later this Summer. Seriously...

I know a FullingMill rep who likely can get me some early. I’ll ask and try them out.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Lol! It's just a small ice fishing float; very common and been around forever. They're a buck apiece.
If you're fishing a heavy jig fly, you can rig it as a slip bobber, but for very small/light nymphs it needs to be fixed in place like the fancy one in the video...which means you can only fish it shallow, unless you have a 15 foot net.
I'm curious how much his special flies weigh in order to cock that float!
View attachment 111694
If you watch the video from the start, he explains that the idea isn’t new but then explains how the indicator itself is different.

Chucker

Steelhead
If you watch the video from the start, he explains that the idea isn’t new but then explains how the indicator itself is different.
Very much a not new idea, especially to Brits! I remember my grandfather teaching me how to spot takes with a float lifting up, in around 1979!

I have been using tiny balsa stick floats as fly indicators occasionally for ages. It is a pain in the ass to get them properly balanced, so the dude’s system with color coded flies of set weights is a good idea, if you want to shell out whatever he is charging and be limited to purchased flies. I use a bit of tungsten putty to adjust the weight needed. I have definitely had days where I have caught a lot of fish that made the float lift rather than dive.

They can be rigged as release indicators, but the way I have done it is overly complicated, and once you have 20’ of line below the float, they don’t ever seem to cock properly, unless you have a giant float with a lot of weight - which is then impossible to cast.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Ya next time you see the manufacturer, you can return the indicator in exchange for a cookie... then use something differnt 😄 🤣

Or just pay better attention and set faster! 🤪
I used my Seeger-Cator™ Monday, the "pay better attention and set faster" cost me the only takedown of the day because I wasn't paying attention. ;-) A cookie sounds good but strawberry rhubarb pie sounds better.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I used my Seeger-Cator™ Monday, the "pay better attention and set faster" cost me the only takedown of the day because I wasn't paying attention. ;-) A cookie sounds good but strawberry rhubarb pie sounds better.
Pat, I make a strawberry/rhubarb cobbler that is just outstanding with vanilla bean ice cream! If you are ever fishing on the frozen tundra I'll make you some.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Pat, I make a strawberry/rhubarb cobbler that is just outstanding with vanilla bean ice cream! If you are ever fishing on the frozen tundra I'll make you some.
Ive - careful or you might have a hungry visitor!!

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
And you can see it (Shawn's) when it's windy (i.e., almost always). Although this is my favorite release indicator:

View attachment 111677
Plumbobbers http://www.plumbobber.com/index.html look very interesting. However their production and distribution appears to be problematic. There is only one retail outlet listed on the Plumbobber website and they show none of any size in stock and a review stating they're hard to find in-stock 🤔...

"💡" It does look like in a similar way to making a "Seeger Cator", they might be able to be fashioned from a standard tapered slip strike indicator with a loop of heavy mono permanently secured (with epoxy?) to the end of the pin, the pin permanently secured in the float, and some stretchy silicone tubing sized to fit snugly on the pin. A bonus would be finding something cheap that is like orange "Stake Whisker Marker" strands to epoxy into the embedded end of the pin to stick out the top of the float.

@Triggw, could the components be inexpensively sourced?