NFR motorcycles

Non-fishing related

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
73 norton850 I'm a noob at attaching images so double click on it for the complete image, had this bike for 40 years...
Back in the 70s I was on the back of a friends Honda. As we caught up to another bike my friend cranked on it. We went by him at about 80 and I glanced over at the Norton. Within maybe 300’ he flew by us. They had a good reputation for speed.

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I've never owned a bike but some years ago my wife and I visited the Harley museum in Sturgis. It was May so we had it to ourselves that day and seriously enjoyed the visit. An amazing collection and I suggest you bike lovers see it whenever you might get the chance.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Back in the 70s I was on the back of a friends Honda. As we caught up to another bike my friend cranked on it. We went by him at about 80 and I glanced over at the Norton. Within maybe 300’ he flew by us. They had a good reputation for speed.
The most affordable and significant performance upgrade on any motorcycle is riding solo. 😀

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Yeah, I know. But together we weighed about as much as I do now. We were both skinny then. Still, I’m pretty sure even with only a jockey on our bike it was no contest. I heard him open it up after we had “blown his doors off”, so he didn’t see us coming. I’d guess he went 50 to 90+ in a very short distance.

krusty

Forum Supporter
Yeah, I know. But together we weighed about as much as I do now. We were both skinny then. Still, I’m pretty sure even with only a jockey on our bike it was no contest. I heard him open it up after we had “blown his doors off”, so he didn’t see us coming. I’d guess he went 50 to 90+ in a very short distance.
Another 'sleeper' of a bike is the Yamaha V-Max. Looks sort of generic, but has been continuously refined over the decades (from 1985 to 2020). Pretty lightweight, with about 120 hp, and it's entertaining watching such an unassuming bike 'blow the doors off' most anything but a high performance sport bike.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
I don't ride. If my wife wasn't adamant about me not owning one, I might, but, I'm happy either way.

I watched a series on Amazon Prime, Himalayan Calling, of these two German men who rode their motorcycles from Germany to India. I found the series very interesting and some of the camera footage spectacular. Thats the kind of adventure I like.

krusty

Forum Supporter
I don't ride. If my wife wasn't adamant about me not owning one, I might, but, I'm happy either way.

I watched a series on Amazon Prime, Himalayan Calling, of these two German men who rode their motorcycles from Germany to India. I found the series very interesting and some of the camera footage spectacular. Thats the kind of adventure I like.
Motorbikes are dangerous. I've lost a fair number of riding friends and acquaintances to bike accidents over the years. Some to accidents that were easily preventable, and others that simply could not be predicted or avoided. Deer scare the hell out of me...hard to spot and likely too late when you do. Dusk is bad for deer, and we don't like to ride after '0-Deer:30'.

Last edited:

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
Motorbikes are dangerous. I've lost a fair number of riding friends and acquaintances to bike accidents over the years. Some to accidents that were easily preventable, and others that simply could not be predicted or avoided. Deer scare the hell out of me...hard to spot and likely too late when you do. Dusk is bad for deer, and we don't like to ride after '0-Deer:30'.
I know they’re dangerous. I’ve too lost friends to a accident. I’ve also heard horror stories. I’m not getting one at this time of my life anyway.

Any over land adventure will involve 4 wheels.

gpt

Smolt
too busy riding to take images. after thousands of miles on beemers, i discovered Ducati. no changes necessary, great suspension, comfortable saddle, think about a corner and you are on the other side. these bikes are NOT beginner friendly, way too fast and powerful but what a great ride, i can't say enough

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
When I first met my future wife, I was heavy into motorcycles due to the shop. Everyone she knew, because of the shop, rode bikes and she also went to the motorcycle events. Bikes were as much a part of her life as was mine. We had some great times during the motorcycle part of our lives. The plan was for me to be part owner of the shop until I finally retired (that didn't work out). So she has no objection to me riding. She once had a Honda 250 Rebel and was doing fine. Then she decided she wanted a larger bike so we got her a Shadow 600 VLX. It was much, much heavier than the rebel and she fell over a few times and couldn't get the bike up. So, she stopped riding and I continued.

I've had my fair share of crashes. More than I care to mention. One wreck (which was dumb) broke three of my ribs and I was in the hospital for a week. When I recovered, I fixed the bike (the one shown in the photo) made some modifications and started riding again. (my rule was to always, always get back on the horse) The only thing she requires is that I always take my cell phone in case I do crash again. She knows bikes are part of my life and accepts my riding as much as my fly fishing.

Motorcycles are indeed dangerous but that's part of the reason I still ride today -- yesterday, in fact.

Last edited:
73 norton850 I'm a noob at attaching images so double click on it for the complete image, had this bike for 40 years...
That's a beauty. Used to ride BSAs, Triumphs and a cafe racer Triton back in the 70s and 80s. I keep looking for a good old British bike for sale for nostalgic reasons. Would love to ride again. Let me know if you ever decide to sell it.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
A few I've had over the years:

My first. a 1972 CB750. Learned to ride in Brooklyn, rode it all over the Northeast, up into Nova Scotia.
01-004.jpg

Next was a plated 1997 XR600r.
TMcSweeney_Marty-Soph-Roadtrip-94.jpg

And the next was a 1993 R100GS
2020_TMcSweeney_Moto-Fail-8.jpg

And somewhere in the middle and the only one I have left--1975 XL250
TMcSweeney_2016-Kingsley-Resovoir-7.jpg

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
A few I've had over the years:

My first. a 1972 CB750. Learned to ride in Brooklyn, rode it all over the Northeast, up into Nova Scotia.
View attachment 5743

Next was a plated 1997 XR600r.
View attachment 5744

And the next was a 1993 R100GS
View attachment 5746

And somewhere in the middle and the only one I have left--1975 XL250
View attachment 5749
I grew up in central NY, moved to LI, worked in the city for a few years and left. But I miss the Adirondacks in the fall…

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I grew up in central NY, moved to LI, worked in the city for a few years and left. But I miss the Adirondacks in the fall…
Sure is pretty up there.

From Brooklyn, I always enjoyed the loop up into the Berkshires, then the Green Mtns., over to the Adirondacks, down back into the Catskills and then home.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
Nice bike. There's something about black and chrome that just looks right. I owned an older Suzuki GL1000 that I had painted metal flake black. As a four cylinder it had lots of chrome to balance the black. I sold it in favor of the Shadow I own now. Kind'a wish I could have kept it for ol' time sake.