Lake fishing - leashed or unleashed?

stillreleasing

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Trying to up my lake game and am curious as to whether or not our people are using a rod leash. And if so, what are you using?

I fish out of a frameless pontoon and currently do not use a leash, but am only taking 1 rod.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Trying to up my lake game and am curious as to whether or not our people are using a rod leash. And if so, what are you using?

I fish out of a frameless pontoon and currently do not use a leash, but am only taking 1 rod.
Unleashed. I think a leash would cause cussing. But then I haven’t lost a rod ( knock on wood 🪵).

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
No leash. I think it would be more trouble than it’s worth. I find places to set my rod down where my reel is blocked from jumping out. The stripping apron on my tube works well for this. I set it so the reel is hanging below the level of the apron and just behind it. The drag clicker gives me a heads-up if I’m not being attentive and (so far) I’ve been successful getting ahold of the rod before it can escape.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
never be that guy!
PAY-The-woman-walking-the-man-on-his-hands-and-knees.jpg

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
No leash, tried one @28 years ago for a few lake outings in my u boat (float tube) and it was too much of a hassle. When resting or changing flues, my rod is in my pontoon boat’s rod holder.

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have leashes on both of my float tubes, but not for rods. Being of advanced age, after about two hours on the water I'm looking for for shoreside shallows to take a leak. If I can't find a spot that allows me to exit the lake and I have to stand in the water, I fish the 4-foot cord tether out of a tube pocket and tie it to my wading belt. That way the tube doesn't blow away while my hands are otherwise occupied.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
No leash. I think it would be more trouble than it’s worth. I find places to set my rod down where my reel is blocked from jumping out. The stripping apron on my tube works well for this. I set it so the reel is hanging below the level of the apron and just behind it. The drag clicker gives me a heads-up if I’m not being attentive and (so far) I’ve been successful getting ahold of the rod before it can escape.
This is my method in the Commander as well. In my Striker raft (rubber pram) I can do the same thing, but on the stock seat frame. They are square and about 1" so not as secure as the apron, but it still works for me. I don't troll much in it.

The people losing rods to fish must not have a good spot like that and I'm guessing also have the drag too tight. I've nearly lost one. It was a short line and I wasn't even really fishing just had about 15' of line in the water moving out of the area. And the drag was too tight.

On that note, when I troll in my Commander I usually use the oars for propulsion. My flippers aren't fast and often, the fish like the faster troll. I used to have a hard time transitioning from rowing to grabbing the rod. Especially stockers. They like to run right at you as they head shake and would throw the hook.
I finally figured out that I should keep rowing as hard or harder to make sure they're hooked before I grab the rod. So my reel is singing before I even grab the rod and the apron is the only thing holding it. Works pretty well.

Obviously, you can just lose them overboard by dropping them. Thankfully, I haven't done that yet. I've come close, usually in my boat strangely enough. I really hope I don't lose one now! Haha!

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
A similar question was asked in an earlier thread (below). A shoutout to @Cowlitz Bottomfeeder for a great suggestion.
I haven’t lost a rod in the Scotty fly rod holders but lost one expensive rod prior to that. Found out about these cheap foam rod floats on the old website from a guy named Sidg. Available for $5.25 at Walmart or online for twice as much. The foam will float a rod and a heavy reel like an Abel horizontally.

View attachment 49945
I had lost a rod off the back of my Watermaster so I started using a leash on rods I was not actively fishing **or were not secured in my Scotty or "Rod Right" strap on rod holders** and found them to be a moderate but necessary hassle. I tried the rod floats and they work very well. They slide between the handle and the stripping guide on my 5 weight but do not interfere with line management or casting at all. They tend to stay put pretty well just in front of the handle on my 6 weights. Throwing my 9.5' 6 weight rod, reel, and sinking line in the water as a test (in front of friends :) ) floated the outfit giving me a real peace of mind. I got a pkg of 3 for less than $6 at Walmart, along with some extra velcro cable ties.

I tried these rod floats out this week on two 6 weights; 9' & 9.5' They do not interfere with the line or casting at all. I took my heaviest outfit and did a float test on the beach. Floated horizontally as you say. Having lost a rod some years back, $5 for three floats is super cheap insurance against losing a rod. I picked up some double-sided velcro wire wrap and cut to length for backup straps. Awesome idea!

Last edited:

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
That’s exactly what I used to do and it worked great with small fish. When I lost the rod, I was fishing a full sinking line in 25 feet of water. It was close to opening day and the lake I was fishing was stocked with jumbos. The drag setting was rather heavy and I was using 3x tippet. On the strike, the rod literally flew 20’ behind the boat and was headed steadily away as I watched it sink. For the last few years, I have used the foam floats as well as Scotty rod holders. Problem solved!

Why not put on a strap on rod scotty mount? They have 2 straps around the tube with a scotty mount/socket. Then use the scotty quick release rod holder. Berkley also makes one. I use them on my pontoon and trust them.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
A leash on a Hobie 180 Drive unit is pretty essential...unless you see a $1000 replacement as no big deal.

Last edited:

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
I've lost one rod/reel in the amount of time I've been at it, I generally roll with inexpensive gear, and for the one time it went overboard I wouldn't trade the fish involved to get the rod back. In the same amount of time, I think I've lost 2 pair of $14 forceps, so not worth tethering those either. Here's the short list of items I'm attaching to:
  • Force Fins - No brainer
  • Net - More of a convenience since it floats, but surprising how easily this ends up in the water out of my hands (tethered to tube)
  • Me - No tether but a PFD pretty much does the same. Like most I spent years without and, in more recent times, have thought better of it. That's the one thing I'd do differently if I could go back in time. In any circumstance, you're an idiot to go without. I sure was.