Kabobs

RCF

Life of the Party
IT’S A GRILL RUSH!

Since its post-pandemic re-opening, the Chinese economy has been recovering more slowly than many companies and investors anticipated. But there’s one industry that’s red hot: food tourism. Domestic tourists have been flocking to a small industrial city that has become the epicenter of a national obsession with grilling.

Thousands of tourists have been traveling to the central province of Shandong to experience grilled kebabs and taking pictures of the experience for social media. The skewers are cooked, flattened and dipped in garlic chili paste before being coated in sesame seeds and peanuts. According to The Economist, crowds have been so large that arenas are being remade into temporary dining halls, and banks are issuing low-interest loans to support companies in grilling-related industries.

The great grilling frenzy highlights a social media trend that’s currently popular among young people in China: Special-Forces tourism. The mission of these tourists is the experience – find and eat tasty food while forgoing sleep and spending as little time and money as possible. Some travel to more than 10 locations in a single day. Kebabs and a local beer hit the sweet spot for special-forces tourists. Altogether, the meal and drink cost hungry travelers about $0.40 in US dollars.

Kebabs are a delicious addition to summer grilling recipes.

What is your kabob recipe?

RCF

Life of the Party
marinated boneless, skinless chicken
yellow peppers
cherry tomatoes
marinated zucchini slices
onion slices

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Chicken, green pepper, onion and pineapple.
SF

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Grilled some yesterday.

Chicken, marinated in Teriyaki sauce
Red, green, yellow and orange peppers
Onions.

Very colorful and tasty. I'll sometimes insert some bacon pieces, because ... bacon. Serve with beer.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Pineapple - yum. Gonna need longer sticks now...

Cremini mushrooms are another option I add to that combo as well. Teriyaki for the sauce.
SF

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Seems like a wholesome enough activity. Certainly better than the current US fad of buying a gun and seeing how many people you can shoot in a day.
More AR-15s on the street would solve that.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Looks really good, tell me about your teriyaki.
Soy Vey teriyaki from the grocery store. Kosher ‘yaki sauce, go figure, I think it’s really good though.

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
What I’m seeing here is shish kebab, not Lebanese kofta kababs. You should try them…

Reactions: Zak

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Pineapple is a must for it's juices and flavors when grilled.
I like to marinade meat in teriyaki sauce.
Meat/pineapple/onions (or bell peppers) are good combo, onions is mostly for structural support :)
Last time I made kabobs was with axis deer, yum...

Screenshot_20230609-064319.png

I like to use the metal skewers. I also like to meticulously cut all the various meat, seafood and vegetables and skewer them all with the exact same sequence. It just looks more fancy. I often place the raw Kabobs in a pyrex dish and marinade the whole batch together. Teriyaki, Bernstiens Italian dressing, Lowry's 30 minute marinades etc. I use a brush to baste the kababs during the marinade, and while BBQing. Using nonstick spray on the grill is a good idea, and a spatula helps to turn the kabob without destroying it. This is key to using more delicate foods such as fish.. and vegetables like small, canned, peeled potatoes.

Colorful bell peppers, various types of onion (I like sweet red), pineapple (fresh), canned potatoes, cherry tomatoes, bacon... These are things I use to go between the chunks of meat. What did I leave out? Chicken, pork, beef, fish (usually pelagic) shrimp, scallops, lobster tail meat. These are what I use for meat. What did I leave out? I always like new ideas and excuses to make kabobs.