It never gets old

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hit the local tonight. Wind was blowing a bit when I put in, but by 7:30 it calmed down and the fish started showing themselves.

Bobber, dry and emergers all produced. A sparse 14 dry on 60' casts with the 3wt makes it feel like more than just catching planters. The local eagle is keeping them fairly wary. Fun stuff!

I did get a bonus planter though. Chunky 15" holdover. I will confess...He was flirting with the top fly just enough to make the bobber do weird things so I struck and the bottom fly got him right in the ass. Felt like a 4 lber even on the old IMX 5wt. 😂
These things must go up the creek that comes in because this particular lake hits 70+ in the summer. I caught one last year too...in the mouth. 🙂

1000004400.jpg

May in the NW...

1000004405.jpg

1000004406.jpg

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Hit the local tonight. Wind was blowing a bit when I put in, but by 7:30 it calmed down and the fish started showing themselves.

Bobber, dry and emergers all produced. A sparse 14 dry on 60' casts with the 3wt makes it feel like more than just catching planters. The local eagle is keeping them fairly wary. Fun stuff!

I did get a bonus planter though. Chunky 15" holdover. I will confess...He was flirting with the top fly just enough to make the bobber do weird things so I struck and the bottom fly got him right in the ass. Felt like a 4 lber even on the old IMX 5wt. 😂
These things must go up the creek that comes in because this particular lake hits 70+ in the summer. I caught one last year too...in the mouth. 🙂

View attachment 113498

May in the NW...

View attachment 113499

View attachment 113500
Often trout would rise up and nibble at small "indicators" we'd use at Rocky Ford to suspend (gasp!) a scud, a quick "flossing" strip and it would be fish on (hooked in the mouth most of the time, not the butt!). Sounds like a fun day!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Often trout would rise up and nibble at small "indicators" we'd use at Rocky Ford to suspend (gasp!) a scud, a quick "flossing" strip and it would be fish on (hooked in the mouth most of the time, not the butt!). Sounds like a fun day!
The indicator nibblers crack me up. Happens a lot less than a fish taking a swivel though, haha. Recently a floating boobie at the end of the washing line rig has gotten eaten several times before even being pulled under.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Sad but I wonder if the fish think bright indicators are emerging powerbait?? Lots of bobber strikes in bait lakes…..
Interesting thought Steve - I fished a general regulations lake yesterday. There were two powerbait anglers parked in the middle of the launch so I could see their jars of powerbait. The powerbait was creamy yellow where as my Seegercator™ was flourescent orange/chartreuese; twice I had big time refusals on the bobber (I mean SeegerCator™.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Way to go Stacey! I was there yesterday and got the slam!
Do you mean the holy bobber, dry and emerger slam? Or the PNW grand slam of trout, bass & crappie? :LOL:

I actually missed a decent bass. I was throwing a frog popper into cover with the 7wt. Trying a new Frequency Boost line on it. He hit in a juicy spot under a weeping willow and I probably set a bit too fast. It wasn't real big, but I could tell it was probably 15-17" & pushed quite a bit of water. I don't want to know if it was bigger. I had a 12" on for a bit and then he slammed into my Commander and came unbuttoned. That was my sign to go back to trout. :)

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Top fly was this one so I think a few fish were hitting the flashy tail part. It's black krystal and black bear. Probably need to shorten it and use marabou instead. And 2 sizes smaller.
View attachment 113589
Really sounds like a fun day of mixed bag options. Regarding your shortening comment, I have found I need to keep the tail short, about body length, for stockers, especial early in the season like now. The panfish seem to eat it long or short. I like 10's and 12's. That is a great looking fly.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Really sounds like a fun day of mixed bag options. Regarding your shortening comment, I have found I need to keep the tail short, about body length, for stockers, especial early in the season like now. The panfish seem to eat it long or short. I like 10's and 12's. That is a great looking fly.
Yep, for sure. I literally said, out loud, as I was whip finishing it "Tail's too long, but oh well." :)
Thanks, this one is on a #10 Hanak jig hook which are pretty short shanked so it's really more of a full size 12. Love those hooks btw. Sharp as hell, very sticky and haven't had one break yet.

Sounds like you have the flossing technique down - Alaskan at heart!