Is it the fourth Saturday of April already?

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
No, it's the third Saturday.

My wife and I like to park along the "dead end" road beside the east shore of Park Lake; lots of wildflowers, birds and no cars in that gated off old road. It's a pleasant place to walk, enjoy nature and get a little exercise. Today we spotted five rigs parked along Blue Lake with perhaps 20 anglers fishing. I spotted three people fishing Park Lake. I think DFW's poaching hotline no longer exists and I can't quite see dialing 9-1-1 to report a family fishing illegally.

Ignorance of the regs or disreagard for the law?

Last edited:

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I could see it just being confusion. Thinking that the third Sat in April was the opener or something. It's not like the WDFW regs are simple to understand.

I think DFW's poaching hotline no longer exists and I can't quite see dialing 9-1-1 to report a family fishing illegally.
Up in my neck of the woods they say to call 911 and ask for fish and wildlife. Always seemed a little odd to me.

Reactions: JS

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter

My wife and I like to park along the "dead end" road beside the east shore of Park Lake; lots of wildflowers, birds and no cars in that gated of old road. It's a pleasant place to walk, enjoy nature and get a little exercise. Today we spotted five rigs parked along Blue Lake with perhaps 20 anglers fishing. I spotted three people fishing Park Lake. I think DFW's poaching hotline no longer exists and I can't quite see dialing 9-1-1 to report a family fishing illegally.

Screenshot_20240420-115024.png

I've used the text option before and got a response.

tombraider

LG
Forum Supporter
Joke, Martha today had bobber and worm fest. I've talked to folks and game folks many times on this place to much. When it gets planted it will be busy. They need to change the rules there.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Opening Day is a favorite past time, holiday, for taking the kids out. Not knowing where the stockers are available could impact a successful time out...
True. So maybe post them all on the last Tues before. That would at least reduce the penultimate weekend poaching numbers.

On a related note: We actually had F&G show up and glass us in our kayaks (while they lurked in brush cover near the ramp, lol) last Tues on a YR lake, then check my buddy's license & gear when she landed to use the facilities. She was hesitant to land because she didn't know who the f*** was watching us from the bushes!

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
View attachment 111443

I've used the text option before and got a response.
Thanks for this. Reading your response I decided to look at the updated app on my phone, low and behold it's easy to find how to contact enforcement.

I texted a local DFW biologist, he reported the violations. That was my work around as 9-1-1 seemed too far out there.//Pat

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have used the "text" a tip numerous times, sometimes it works sometimes not... but at last I did what could.

Thanks Buzzy

BDD

Steelhead
I fished a lake in OK county Friday and Saturday (one I told you about a few years ago Buzzy). I have been fishing this lake for a number of years; it used to be no gas motors but I have not looked at the regulations for awhile. As I was loading my boat, I saw a family launching theirs with a 10 HP Merc on the back. I did not say anything because I was not sure he was actually going to use it and not knowing if the rule had changed, I nodded and politely smiled at the group. There were five of them and by the time they got all loaded in a 12 foot jon boat there was not much freeboard it looked like it was going to be a complete cluster. Of course the guy started yanking on the cord and it eventually started. Within 10 seconds one kid dropped a rod over the side and they circled back around to get it; I still don't understand why it did not sink? Anyway I got home and read the regs; still no gas motors. I missed out on a teaching opportunity but in a way, I guess I'm glad I did not say anything. I think they probably had enough trouble I did not need to add more. And we are still a week away from opening day!

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I fished a lake in OK county Friday and Saturday (one I told you about a few years ago Buzzy). I have been fishing this lake for a number of years; it used to be no gas motors but I have not looked at the regulations for awhile. As I was loading my boat, I saw a family launching theirs with a 10 HP Merc on the back. I did not say anything because I was not sure he was actually going to use it and not knowing if the rule had changed, I nodded and politely smiled at the group. There were five of them and by the time they got all loaded in a 12 foot jon boat there was not much freeboard it looked like it was going to be a complete cluster. Of course the guy started yanking on the cord and it eventually started. Within 10 seconds one kid dropped a rod over the side and they circled back around to get it; I still don't understand why it did not sink? Anyway I got home and read the regs; still no gas motors. I missed out on a teaching opportunity but in a way, I guess I'm glad I did not say anything. I think they probably had enough trouble I did not need to add more. And we are still a week away from opening day!
Dave - It must be nice to have such a good memory! I remember we talked about a lake up there but darned if I remember the name (no hotspotting). Speaking of which OK county, we had a picnic along the Okanogan in Okanogan today. Windy but sunny.

BriGuy

Life of the Party

Was anyone, especially the kids, wearing a PFD?

JudyM

Steelhead
This reminds me of the fishermen on North Fork Reservoir (Clackamas River) when the pellet heads were dropped by ODFW a week before the trout opener. I knew of a State Trooper that lived past North Fork. He told me that he was aware of the trout opener and took his citation book with him going home. If anyone there were fishing right after the release of trout, but not the opener, he would stop and issue citations. Also, on the way to work, anybody that would be fishing was granted with a citation. Oregon does not publish when the trout are exactly released anymore. I have not been that way since the big forest fire in 2020 because it is too painful. But maybe this year.....all hatchery trout are adipose clipped. Opens May 22 to October 31. 5 trout per day. BTW, the wild fish that go beyond MP32 are outpopulating the hatchery brats.

Last edited:

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter

My wife and I like to park along the "dead end" road beside the east shore of Park Lake; lots of wildflowers, birds and no cars in that gated off old road. It's a pleasant place to walk, enjoy nature and get a little exercise. Today we spotted five rigs parked along Blue Lake with perhaps 20 anglers fishing. I spotted three people fishing Park Lake. I think DFW's poaching hotline no longer exists and I can't quite see dialing 9-1-1 to report a family fishing illegally.

Little if any play by the rules these days…

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Just a thought, but I think people should be given and have to sign that they received a copy of the current regs when purchasing a license.

Last edited: