Intermediate Line Technique

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Here's an informative video on basic techniques for those new to intermediate lines on the lake...enjoy.

I went to the flyshop this afternoon thinking I'd add the line Mr. Gawesworth talks about for "murk(y)" water, the line doesn't appear to be available anymore.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I have one. I think it is probably the worst line I have ever bought. Tangle’s terribly. If you want to be as frustrated by a fly line as possible, send me your address and it’s yours!
I got my Cortland Clear Camo WF6I yesterday, cut off the EEEEvil loop and knotted on about 9' of 12# Maxima Ultragreen, added a bit of 2X to that and fished it today. It does come off the spool with some memory but a good stretch and it's not nearly as kinky as (not as kinky as?) other kinky lines I've had and it casts really well.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Thanks again for posting this. Watching this, then going out and doing it, has been helpful. Watching it again I picked up more. I retrieved slow, and got a lot of takes when I would pause. I like how the intermediate line really just hangs there. Mine's just a Clearwater, but it sinks slow and even, and is laying out straight now with no more coiling than my other lines.

Grayone

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I got my Cortland Clear Camo WF6I yesterday, cut off the EEEEvil loop and knotted on about 9' of 12# Maxima Ultragreen, added a bit of 2X to that and fished it today. It does come off the spool with some memory but a good stretch and it's not nearly as kinky as (not as kinky as?) other kinky lines I've had and it casts really well.
You should like it, Once it gets some water on it.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
View attachment 114068

I'm going to use a gurgler tomorrow as the point fly and drop a weighted chironomid about a foot below the tippet ring. Hope a few chunky trout put a good stretch into the new intermediate line.
Good luck, hope it works out for you. I'm feeling more confident, I only took the intermediate line rod today and it was fine.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
I like this video. I've been wanting to learn this technique to hunt the fish feeding in this soup. So far I think it's worth continuing to pursue.

Attachments

• 20240511_082112.jpg
    20240511_082112.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Did you get a chance to try out the washer line? Any success.?
I was sort of hoping this thread would go away ;-) I did try the washing line technique yesterday, my gurgler (which closely matches the crataegus oxyacantha hatch - commonly known as the homostupidous hatch) could perhaps use a bit more floatation as within a few strips the 1.5" - 2" pulled the fly under. I did get two grabs in the 15 minutes or so that I fished it this way. I don't know if the trout were striking the homostupidous* or the midge pattern.

My leader on this new line (which I cannot get all the memory coils out of) is about 9' long built from one length of 12# Maxima UG. I tied a 2mm tippet ring to the end of the leader; from the tippet ring I have about 4' of 2X to the gurgler. I dropped the midge about a foot below the 2mm tippet ring. I didn't get any tangles but I sure did get some twist on the dropper. There was absolutely no wind - I wanted to try this rig with some chop on the water.

*@Salmo_g - now you know what the gurgler hatch is and it's geographically isolated to Grant County and portions of Adams County.