Intermediate camo lines

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have the RIO aqualux intermediate. Really like the line, casts well and it's pretty tangle free if I stretch it before each session. Thinking about getting a camo-lux for off-color water, those summer days with gin clear water. I've heard good things about the Cortland camo intermediate. It's also considerable less expensive. Anyone have experience with both lines able to share and contrast them. Thanks

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
I like the RIO, Airflo, and SA intermediate lines better than Cortland’s camo. But lots of people swear by the Cortland. And you’re right about the price.

My experience with Cortland camo is worse coiling, more tangles in the running line, and a generally “sticky” texture. I bought one 15 years ago and took it off my reel after a few outings.

Dragon Mo

Keep Calm - Drink More Whisky
Forum Supporter
Ive got the Cortland clear camo in 4, 5, & 6 wt. It's by far my favorite line for lake fishing with no issues.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I agree with @troutpocket for all the same reasons. The Cortland camo was not my favorite. I gave mine away.
SF

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I agree with @troutpocket for all the same reasons. The Cortland camo was not my favorite. I gave mine away.
SF
I have an old Cortland Clear intermediate that I have had for years, yes - it tends to have memory but if I stretch it as I'm pulling line off the reel then it's like a nylon leader that needed stretching. I love this old line, sinkls slowly and has put a lot of fish in the net and it casts nicely on my Sage 590-2 Fli. I hope I like the Cortland Camo that's due to arrive Monday.

Last edited:

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have an old Cortland Clear intermediate that I have had for years, yes - it tends to have memory but if I stretch it as I'm pulling line off the reel then it's like a nylon leader that needed stretching. I love this old line, sinkls slowly and has put a lot of fish in the net and it casts nicely on my Sage 590-2 Fli. I hope I like the Cortland Camo that's due to arrive Monday.
Be interested to hear what you think of the new camo line. I hope it contributes it's share to the net as well.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
two 9 wt. rods rigged with Cortland Camo Clear intermediate's were my go to for King's in tidewater, lines proved bulletproof while taking dozens of brutes, and a 6 wt CCC has long been my go to for lake fishing.
For any new line gently stretch the max working distance before spooling it on, removes latent coiling problems.

MELinOre

Steelhead
The only intermediate line I fish is a Cortland Clear Camo. I have used it for at least 10 years. Put a lot of trout in the net.

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The only intermediate line I fish is a Cortland Clear Camo. I have used it for at least 10 years. Put a lot of trout in the net.
Mel, you put a lot of trout in the net but it's not because of your line. It's that scraggly cali pattern is my guess.

I wonder if Cortland changed something recently? My old CCC was a fav, but when it got wrecked last year the new CCC was a PITA.

Maybe they changed the core?

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Interesting stuff... So, do folks think that it's important to have a clear intermediate (like the aqualux) AND a clear camo (like the CCC, and camo-lux) I've read and heard that the clear lines are the best choice for sunny days and clear water, whereas the clear-camo work best for dark days and colored water.
Also wondering if anyone has experience with other brands of intermediate.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
About 20 years ago I found a deal on a Cortland intermediate line in “ice blue” color. I was replacing one of the original RIO Aqualux lines that I wore out. It was a bit of a test to see if going with a non-clear line would be an issue. It wasn’t. My take…slow sink rate and a longer leader are the key. Color of the line is not much of a factor in the waters I fish. When my current SA clear camo intermediate line fails, I will replace it with a Cortland intermediate in forest green.