Idiots and fireworks.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Give it time...you only recently retired and it takes awhile to truly acquire all of the 'skills'.:)
10th Degree Curmudgeon here.

cody-

Steelhead
I will say that the only time I truly enjoyed fireworks since being real, real little is the year during high school I worked in one of those massive firework superstores. Three days of 12+ hour shifts at double minimum wage ending after midnight on July 5. We went out after that shift with a ton of discounted fireworks; didn't make it long until we were yelled at by one of our neighbors on the cul-de-sac. We shot of the rest in an empty gravel lot and made it home around 4AM.

Granted, there aren't wild fires in Tennessee and I would have been annoyed by it if I wasn't the one doing it. But we were teens who just spent so many hours dealing with crummy customers buying their own fireworks up the minute we closed at midnight. We needed our fun too.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Our biggest problem locally is the " homestead" encircled by this neighborhood, and the "horse farm" to our south. they seem to think rules don't apply to them and set stuff off between 1030 and 1am. and none of it is small format stuff. If it was kept strictly on their properties, might be a different attitude towards them. But everything is aimed outward at those around them.

Having said that, anyone ever celebrate New Years in Frankfurt around the Hauptbahnhof ?

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Try being a guy that has zero interest in Games(Sports.. i.e basketball football etc.) I consider fly fishing and hunting actual pure sport.
I don't really know what constitutes an 'actual pure sport' but I do know what interests me and what doesn't.

What I find offensive is somebody who thinks I have some sort of male obligation to care about a sport (such as a fetishized team sport) like the Seahawks, Gonzaga Bulldogs or whatever.

In a lot of cases I think it's some sort of unresolved conferred manhood dysfunction.

Got a fat-assed lazy couch potato neighbor sporting all sorts of team gear who is absolutely flabbergasted when I shrug about some playoff or championship.

Don't expect me to give a shit about what floats your boat.

Last edited:

krusty

Forum Supporter
My brother is a retired hand surgeon. He had two busy seasons: snow blower and fireworks. You can't fix stupid with surgery, just repair it
My former neighbor was a surgeon who referred to the same seasonal injuries as extraordinarily lucrative 'hand jobs'.

Last edited:

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
I have a pretty good view since the fire a few years ago. As usual, we will spend the next few evenings watching those with more money than sense attempting to set the pine forest and grasslands ablaze with Chinese weaponry. It ain’t too dry this year, though some will succeed.

I love fireworks and things that go bang. Part of my chosen profession. But the real stuff requires some training and proficiency, just like everything. It is always amazing to me, and perhaps the best direct evidence of a deity, that these stupid f&$-!ers remain alive, and that they have not killed their neighbors.

I don’t miss fireworks much, and my dogs don’t either. And I don’t miss my close neighbors not having fireworks, either. I’ve had enough fun with fires.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
This thread got me thinking, I know it's hard to do but I can get it done. When I was a wee one back in Wisconsin, The fireworks were unlike any you see here in the last 60 years. They just didn't go bang up in the air. They had scenes like the Flag, Buildings like the Capital, Animals, But they also had fireworks that went bang. But it was as different as night and day. You went to a big 4th picnic, ate yourself silly and then you just settled in to watch the fireworks.

krusty

Forum Supporter
This thread got me thinking, I know it's hard to do but I can get it done. When I was a wee one back in Wisconsin, The fireworks were unlike any you see here in the last 60 years. They just didn't go bang up in the air. They had scenes like the Flag, Buildings like the Capital, Animals, But they also had fireworks that went bang. But it was as different as night and day. You went to a big 4th picnic, ate yourself silly and then you just settled in to watch the fireworks.
Good memories!

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Has this ever NOT been the case?
Do you guys not recall being young, with the miraculous access to actual explosives once a year?
Geez, I'm not even a guy, and I certainly played with fireworks all week around the 4th when I was a kid!
(And by "kid" I mean under 30 😝)

Adult males who are into fireworks are compensating for the fact they lack the courage to even attempt to get laid. The same goes for videogames. These are facts and indisputable. You have to follow the science.