NFR idiot drivers...

Non-fishing related

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Back in '81 when I first moved to Seattle I came to pick up a friend who had been stranded when the Metro bus he'd been riding stopped to await a chain-up crew. (Around 2" of snow had fallen.) My friend had offered to treat me to an Irish coffee for my troubles, and we were comfortably seated at the bar enjoying it when I heard the bartender telling another patron: 'If you skid to the left, turn to the left'.

Now those who grew up doing donuts in parking lots know that this is good advice, until you stop and think that this guy was learning to drive in the snow while sitting on a bar stool!

In later years I came to fear other drivers who drove as though they thought having 4 wheel drive would help you stop quicker; that it was OK to stop just before an upgrade (who needs a running start anyway?); that it was OK to stop at the bottom of a downgrade (did they assume that the car behind had 4 wheel drive and could therefor stop quicker?); that tailgated in horrendous conditions... I grew up driving in snow and have a very healthy respect for the physics involved. The snow didn't scare me half so much as those clueless drivers!

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Would trade the current ice skating rink that is our streets and paths for a river sidewalk...where in SoCal are you hanging?
We'll be down in the DanaPoint/Encinitas area towards end of spring, start scoping the area out. Decades ago stayed with surf friends in Encinitas coming and going on Baja trips.
We'd like to start renting Jan - March during winters, get us out of the snow zone...join the other elders at San Onofre riding longboards and talking story...

As to flipping other drivers off..have to be a moron to do that in our area, way too many guns
We rented a house in Redondo Beach. I walked down Ave F today to look at the ocean, some big waves. Saw one guy catch a wave and get under the curl, pretty cool. Cool too, raining.

We've rented this same house next year for a longer stay. It's convenient as our daughter and grandkids are about 18 minutes (no such thing as distance in city travel) away.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Just be careful out there it was on the news yesterday talk about plenty shootings on our hwys so far.
People have officially lost their minds. I'm what I consider a very aware driver as far as others go. If you roll up on me and I'm going well over the limit, I let you pass. I'm never in the left lane unless actively passing or turning that way. I drive allot and on shit highways in the hills. I've noticed an uptick in totally unreasonable drivers, tail gate drivers, and just flat idiots.

@Surfandfish sounds like an aware sort. I couldn't imagine flashing a guy in the right lane with snow banks. Nobody no matter what should drive outside their comfort zone as far as speed. We all have different comfort zones and should pull off. This was not possible in this situation. What is the hurry in tough conditions when it's literally life and death as far as a mishap. People need to chill out and give each other a break. Stay out of the left. And if you get caught there wave to the guy that passed you and flipped you off. Let him know that you realize now that you were holding him up. Most people are cool if you acknowledge any error you are bound to make even when vigilant. And forgive others. We all screw up. If nobody is hurt and there isn't a collision you're winners. Drive on.

Westfly Refugee

Steelhead
8 people have been killed so far this week from La Pine south, 5 alone in that mini van incident. #97 has been in desperate need of lane separation barriers in the single lane sections for decades. What the state troopers have to endure when they arrive on scene and must dig though the carnage to find out if anyone is still alive...

It's been a long time but I've lost a friend from an fatal accident on #97 north of Madras.
I think of her whenever I drive that stretch.

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
When wild and crazy drivers pass me, cut me off, or pass on the do not pass places on the country two lane roads my hope is I don't find them off in the ditch or wrapped around a tree.
Reason being I might not want to stop to lend assistance.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Drove my wife into Bend yesterday for a medical appt. Having just gone through a thaw /refreeze cycle after the last storm, roads had black ice warnings, and a light freezing rain had already begun to coat the hood, glad to be in the Forester with Cross Climate 2 tires.
Heading east on Murphy road, just under the speed limit, roads slick as hell, a late model Silverado comes up fast and begins doggin on our bumper, serving side to side, flashing high beams. Normally I just pull over for assholes, only nowhere to do so..piled frozen drifts on the sides have left the lanes minimal.
So we hit a straightaway, and the asshole suddenly turns into the other lane, rips past us, and as he turns to get back into our lane loses it, first whip sawing back and forth across both lanes, then breaks loose and starts spinning...several full spins, slams sideways into the frozen berm on our side, bounces off of that and slides across the road where it slams into that berm nose first and comes to a battered halt.
I'd slowed immediately when the fukkery began with emergency blinker on, incoming traffic had come to a dead halt, and was just pulling up even with the truck to see if the driver was ok when the door got kicked open and an obviously enraged middle aged driver jumps out and starts screaming and shaking his fist...at us.
At which point we resumed our drive at a sedate 30 mph.
The best thing to do is to call 911 then wait for the cop to come so you can give him a full report.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It's been a long time but I've lost a friend from an fatal accident on #97 north of Madras.
I think of her whenever I drive that stretch.
Sorry for that. I also lost a dear friend on HWY 97. Between Goldendale and Toppenish, Satus Pass area. She was commuting from Goldendale to Central Washington University in Ellensburg. It was slushy and slippery and she slid into the trailer of an oncoming semi. She was only 20 and left behind a daughter.
I think of her nearly every day, especially during snow & ice conditions.

We just drove over Snoqualmie pass today, coming home from visiting our oldest in Spokane. It was chains required unless AWD/4x4 so not terrible, but glad I had new tires and 4x4. People did a pretty good job of keeping safe distances and taking it easy. In fact, it was probably the most sane snowy Snoqualmie pass trip I can remember as far as idiot drivers. Only a couple that cut in too close when changing lanes and several with no headlights on.

Be safe y'all!

Scottybs

Head Master Flyfisher In Charge
Forum Supporter
You see a lot of crazy driving on I-5, couple months ago I was just south of Lake Samish heading north doing 80 in the left lane and had a crotch rocket split another car and I. My guess he was doing about 120. I’ve decided that I won’t even call emergency services anymore if/when idiots like this eat it.