SFR I-90

Sorta fishing-related

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
When I slid into the ditch the other day I was in a 50mph zone but was going 25-27. I left my house waaay early so I was in no hurry, and was just taking it nice and slow. I had zero issues until that one spot when I just randomly started sliding and couldn't correct it. There's zero doubt in my head that going slow saved both my truck and boat. Because I was going slow the truck slid off the road and just came to a stop, not hitting the ditch super hard, and since it just came to a stop it kept my boat up on the side of the road free from any damage.

I've replayed that scenario in my head a thousand times since and I have no doubt if I was going anywhere near the speed limit it would have resulted in catastrophic damage to both my truck as well as my boat.

I had to wait close to 2 hours for the tow truck and as I waited there on the side of the road, hazard lights flashing in the dark, I was blown away at the speed people were going as they passed me. Big trucks, smaller AWD SUVs, sedans....it didn't matter. Everyone was blowing by me at 40-50 mph. Pretty amazing really. You'd think a big truck in the ditch with hazards on would bring to other drivers attention that it was slick. Nope. Didn't seem to matter. Really amazed me.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
When I slid into the ditch the other day I was in a 50mph zone but was going 25-27. I left my house waaay early so I was in no hurry, and was just taking it nice and slow. I had zero issues until that one spot when I just randomly started sliding and couldn't correct it. There's zero doubt in my head that going slow saved both my truck and boat. Because I was going slow the truck slid off the road and just came to a stop, not hitting the ditch super hard, and since it just came to a stop it kept my boat up on the side of the road free from any damage.

I've replayed that scenario in my head a thousand times since and I have no doubt if I was going anywhere near the speed limit it would have resulted in catastrophic damage to both my truck as well as my boat.

I had to wait close to 2 hours for the tow truck and as I waited there on the side of the road, hazard lights flashing in the dark, I was blown away at the speed people were going as they passed me. Big trucks, smaller AWD SUVs, sedans....it didn't matter. Everyone was blowing by me at 40-50 mph. Pretty amazing really. You'd think a big truck in the ditch with hazards on would bring to other drivers attention that it was slick. Nope. Didn't seem to matter. Really amazed me.
three out of four of them were busy looking at their text messages

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
I was disappointed with the Cosmic Crisp, it's good... but... still not to Honeycrisp levels of good. I actually like the Opal apples if you can find a firm crisp batch. Now for the life hack, you can get Honeycrisp apples for the price of Fuji or whatever else is on sale, just memorize the 4 digit code and punch it in at self checkout, boom .99 cent Honeycrisps. Yes I know this is technically stealing but that's what they get for forcing me through self checkout with no other checkers on duty.
The real bonanza is to enter the Bing code when buying Ranier Cherries!

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Rod -
I think that car commercials where you see a Subaru flying through deep snow - throwing up a cloud of powder or a Ford F250 4X4 screaming up a mountain side or Jeep roaring over a snowy pass convinces many drivers that their damn 4x4 or AWD are invincible, can stop on a dime, can go around a curve on ice at the posted speed limit.

@Porter2 - WSDOT downsized since the outbreak of The Virus.

I still like Fuji's.
I like Fuji's best.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Rod -
I think that car commercials where you see a Subaru flying through deep snow - throwing up a cloud of powder or a Ford F250 4X4 screaming up a mountain side or Jeep roaring over a snowy pass convinces many drivers that their damn 4x4 or AWD are invincible, can stop on a dime, can go around a curve on ice at the posted speed limit.

@Porter2 - WSDOT downsized since the outbreak of The Virus.

I still like Fuji's.
A lot of wsdot workers quit or were terminated because of the mask and vaccine mandates.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I finished my honey crisp earlier and just as I finished it I received WSDOT traffic alert again that I-90 is closed near North Bend MP 34 for EB traffic and closed at MP 106 for WB traffic.

This is what my notifications look like

BDD6765C-BC0F-4292-A460-ABB9E72E0D65.png

And just to make sure I stay true to this thread……

FB72BB6F-3D16-4420-8A76-63650F50B73F.jpeg

Drive safely out there!!!

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Just a plain old red delicious
MEGA THREAD DRIFT -
Maybe 30 years ago I was commutting to work from Ephrata to Priest Rapids. One afternoon on the way home, the guy I was riding with pulled over and loaded a bundle of nursery stock that must have fallen off a truck. I think there were 20 trees in the bundle. Randy gave me a couple, they were (and one still is) red delicious. We've kept that tree pruned about 4 - 5 feet tall and sparse. It gave us about 20 big reds this fall, they were very good eating but I still prefer the Fuji. Anyone remember "Gravenstein" apples?

Snowin' hard in the big city of Ephrata, roads a slick - sort of back on topic

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Gravenstein was/is a good apple.

Remember when I was young my mom made pies and crisps from the golden (yellow) delicious trees we had in the neighborhood green belts and undeveloped areas. It was the only way I would eat the golden delicious.

Zak

Legend
I just wanted to share an intersting icy road story. I grew up in Vermont, where ice and snow is common in the winter, and I was a pretty capable driver. One day, I was driving north on 91 south of Hartland in my dad's manual Ford F150. The roads were snow free, black pavement and I had not gotten out to engage 4WD on the front hubs. I come over a rise and on the other side, at the bottom of the rise, are 8-10 cars and trucks in the median and off the road to the right. Still black pavement. I was going maybe 55 mph. I touch the brakes, slow down a bit and shift down into third. As soon as the clutch engaged I lose contact with the road and my truck does 3 or 4 lazy 360s down the middle of the highway, eventually stopping in the middle of the road. I got out to engage the 4WD and fell on my ass as soon as I stepped out of the truck; there was a thin layer of "black ice" (clear ice on blacktop) coating the entire road. I got 4WD engaged, got over to the side where I could have two tires off the road, pulled a few cars out, and made it the rest of the way home, very cautiously.

That feeling of slowly spinning down the middle of the highway still sticks with me.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
I grew up and learned to drive in MN, so while I'm pretty good at driving in snow and know how to control a slide, I also know that no car or truck has traction on ice, at least without studs/chains.
So here's my best Seattle Drivers On Ice story:
I had to drive home from work one evening during a huge snowstorm (2012 maybe?) There was one unavoidable, long (like 100 yds), steep hill I had to descend in my Xterra. It has a stoplight at the bottom, so you can't just bomb it. Despite using 4WD, low gear, and my best winter driving techniques, there's no way to avoid braking on that long of a hill, and the SUV went into a slide. I controlled it as best I could, essentially sliding straight down the hill at maybe 5mph, but with the Xterra at a 30° angle.
Halfway down, a sports car appears at the top of the hill behind me, and gets irritated - apparently - at the low speed at which I'm clearly sliding downhill. He honks repeatedly, then whips around me and promptly goes into a full 360 spin and lands in the ditch.
I mean, WTH??
He looked fine as I slid past him, btw 🙄

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Driving on ice is just a matter of time thing.
Eventually, if done often enough, you will wind up in a spot you do not want to be.
We got a foot of snow last week, and the road in sits in the shade so I get a bit practice this week, as it iced up a few days.
The UPS truck failed to negotiate the road Friday, and tore up the nice 2 track I had made with the Jeep, then the tow truck came and made an even bigger mess out of the road, making some nice moguls right in the middle of the curve.
🤣🤣🤣

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I do my best to just stay home when the weather is bad with ice and snow. I feel capable but fear others…. I have been stuck not due to my fault but others that blocked a road including a bus spin out and was unable to navigate around it due to the pile of cars in front of me and cars behind me. Pulled over, walked to my parents 2 miles away and slept there that night. My wife slept alone that night about 10 miles further north. Said it was the best sleep she had in years. I on the other hand didnt sleep well, woke up early and walked two miles again, got in my truck and went home. They had come and towed the bus away during the night. I was able to drive thru the mess. Think that was in early 90’s close to Xmas and Seattle was not prepared for it.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Was stationed at Fort Knox in early 80's. Drove to my parents home 6 1/2 hours away for the holidays.

On the way back, between Bridgeport and Louisville, I crossed a short bridge. Not even halfway across I hit a patch of black ice. The car did a complete 360 and I ended up going straight still in the lane i had been using. I pulled over until i stopped shaking.

NukeLDO

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Lived in Maine for 12 years. Snow and ice are the norm from about Nov-May. Anyway, coming home from work one day up the Highway 16 Spalding Turnpike in my 4wd Jeep Liberty from Kittery to Acton, ME, I went to pass another driver that was creeping along. Pulled into the left lane and promptly spun. Passed the other car with me going backwards. We were both surprised. Once past, completed the full 360 completely out of control and ended up in the middle of the road going in my intended direction! Made it home safe and sound.....but not without slowing down the rest of the way.