NFR Humor

Non-fishing related

flybill

Life of the Party
No Columbia House ?
I figured everbody got their 5 albums for buck back in the 70's...
;)
I did mine after getting my first boombox! 6 D batteries... Missing Persons was the first tape I played.. and I made a lot of mix tapes!! For the ladies of course!

Kenneth Yong

Fishy Spam
Forum Supporter
27/28!

Didn't have MySpace.

But I'm only 56! Am I old?

Walk to the TV, turn it on. Tune, and if that doesn't work, bang on, the TV to get a "better picture", then get excited when the show is in color. Walk back to the TV to change the channel. Nowadays my kids talk to the TV to get stuff done. I still prefer the remote, I like the mouse function.

Columbia House brings back fond memories.

They would ship all the way out to the Central Pacific. I was on an island that was all of 7 square miles, 3,500 miles away from Honolulu -- time between sending off the order form and getting the CDs was about 6 weeks, IIRC, felt normal.

Talking about film for the camera, what about the 2 month turnaround on Kodachrome slides, at least where I was?

Come to think of it, took loads of time between ordering something and actually getting it, back in "those" days. Today it's 4-hour Amazon Prime, and you start to worry when your order seems "late".

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Stay up late on Sunday night to watch local news or wait till the next morning and read Sunday NFL scores in the Seattle PI (the am paper). Seattle Times was the evening paper. 😮

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I didn't see having a party line phone.
There were 8 parties on our line. Our ring was 4 longs and 3 shorts. Phone hung on the wall, and you cranked the handle to get the operator. I'd tell the operator that I wanted to talk to Kurt, my friend down the road, and she would then ring up Kurt's family's phone. Making a long distance call could take a while, maybe longer than the call would last, at $0.15 a minute.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Besides the party line, our number started with SK….short for Skyline.
SF

Triggw

Steelhead
We never had a party line, but the first phone number I remember having was three digits. Ours was 254. My buddy's was 989. And there was no dialing. You picked up the phone and the operator asked, 'Number please?" and made the connection.