Help me pick a rod for SRC and Steelhead

Chinookie

Just Hatched
Im only one season deep into fly fishing. I’m fishing primarily in-land on the North Oregon Coast for SRC. The season ends soon and I only have a 5wt rod. I’d like to get into steelheading. Spey looks like a lot of fun but feel like it might be overkill for where I’m wading.

Should I be looking at a 7 or an 8? It seems people swing smaller wet flies and streamers for SRC. Itd be nice to have a rod to handle that and a steelhead if needed.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Sorry but a good rod for cutthroat will be a bad steelhead rod and vice versa. Continue to use your 5wt for cutthroat for now but buy a steelhead rod 12-14 feet depending on where you fish for a 7 or 8 weight.
Then maybe down the road get an 11 ft 4-6 wt for two handed cutty swinging..

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Im only one season deep into fly fishing. I’m fishing primarily in-land on the North Oregon Coast for SRC. The season ends soon and I only have a 5wt rod. I’d like to get into steelheading. Spey looks like a lot of fun but feel like it might be overkill for where I’m wading.

Should I be looking at a 7 or an 8? It seems people swing smaller wet flies and streamers for SRC. Itd be nice to have a rod to handle that and a steelhead if needed.
Echo OHS 6 weight. Maybe the 7.

Divad

Whitefish
Do you want to swing up steelhead or nymph them? Personally I would go with a single hand 7wt so you can nymph and single hand spey. I do love two hand swinging but you’d have to have water conducive to the two hander and accept the inability to nymph on it.

Around my local water I can find a lot more single hand spots than two hand, while replacing a spool/reel yields me a nymph rod too.

Chinookie

Just Hatched
Do you want to swing up steelhead or nymph them? Personally I would go with a single hand 7wt so you can nymph and single hand spey. I do love two hand swinging but you’d have to have water conducive to the two hander and accept the inability to nymph on it.

Around my local water I can find a lot more single hand spots than two hand, while replacing a spool/reel yields me a nymph rod too.
Swinging is more appealing to me but I’d nymph as well. Single hand 7wt could do both? How is casting nymphs on a 7?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Is that considered a Switch? It’s a little out of my budget right now.
It consider it a true switch rod, not a small Spey rod. Yeah they don’t just give them away and I am not sure if I’ve seen one pop up used. You are still sorta figuring things out and the OHS is a sorta specialized deal. A 9-10 foot 7 or 8 weight would probably serve you well and be good for learning and figuring things out on. They nymph just fine, with the right line and leader setup.

Shad

Life of the Party
Obviously, you need one of every tool mentioned so far (LOL), but:

If you just want to buy one, moderately-priced rod, a single-hand 6-wt. Will handle cutts and steelhead in smaller water. It's less power than is ideal for fighting most steelhead, but if you have a fairly stout 6, you can put the wood to 'em and get it done. I'd err on the side of lighter for small water. You're gonna catch a lot more cutts than steelhead (let's face it), so gear up for them and have a great time getting your butt kicked just a little when you hook a steelhead.

Chinookie

Just Hatched
It consider it a true switch rod, not a small Spey rod. Yeah they don’t just give them away and I am not sure if I’ve seen one pop up used. You are still sorta figuring things out and the OHS is a sorta specialized deal. A 9-10 foot 7 or 8 weight would probably serve you well and be good for learning and figuring things out on. They nymph just fine, with the right line and leader setup.
Yeah I was considering something in the price range of a Echo Lift and a Lamson Liquid. I've got too many other hobbies I spend money on to justify a really expensive setup right now. Is a sinking tip line something I should be considering?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Yeah I was considering something in the price range of an Echo Lift and a Lamson Liquid. I've got too many other hobbies I spend money on to justify a really expensive setup right now. Is a sinking tip line something I should be considering?
If you wanna swing, yes, get a sink tip.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Since I can't target SRC after the 31st,
I guess you're talking about river fishing - the salt is open beyond Halloween Several years ago I was looking for a new rod for SRC - chasing them in the salt. I had it in my mind a 7 weight would work. I phoned the shop in Gig Harbor and they suggested a 7 weight was too much rod, I stopped by and bought an Echo Ion XL 690 and @Stonedfish's absolutely very favorite line: Rio's CoastalQuickshooter. I think it's a great beach rod and it works well for me dredging the depths of lakes. Good luck.

You may notice opinions vary widely. Your own experiences take time (and a collection of gear). /Pat

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Forgive my ignorance. Is it appropriate to swing nymphs on a sinking tip? Or am I better off with a floating line for nymphing?
You can do both. Cutthroat are usually aggressive enough for a floating line but nothing wrong with sink tips if you need to.
I have caught quite a few on the North Umpqua while swinging sink tips for winter steelhead, usually on very large flies.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I guess you're talking about river fishing - the salt is open beyond Halloween Several years ago I was looking for a new rod for SRC - chasing them in the salt. I had it in my mind a 7 weight would work. I phoned the shop in Gig Harbor and they suggested a 7 weight was too much rod, I stopped by and bought an Echo Ion XL 690 and @Stonedfish's absolutely very favorite line: Rio's CoastalQuickshooter. I think it's a great beach rod and it works well for me dredging the depths of lakes. Good luck.

You may notice opinions vary widely. Your own experiences take time (and a collection of gear). /Pat
Maybe I'm misinterpreting the OR regs, but I believe you can't target trout in salt or fresh after October 31st. OP is from Oregon.

My vote is get a separate steelhead stick.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
I used to just use a single hand 6 weight on streams and smaller rivers for cutts, steelhead and pinks/coho. Worked great unless I was going for big water winter steelhead.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Maybe I'm misinterpreting the OR regs, but I believe you can't target trout in salt or fresh after October 31st. OP is from Oregon.

My vote is get a separate steelhead stick.
Ah, Oregon regs, my bad for miscommunicating as I was referring to Washington regs. And maybe I don't know any better.

Chinookie

Just Hatched
I used to just use a single hand 6 weight on streams and smaller rivers for cutts, steelhead and pinks/coho. Worked great unless I was going for big water winter steelhead.
What weight do you think I need for winter steelhead? I’ll mostly be in the smaller sections of rivers/streams. I don’t have a boat and bank access is hard/private on the bigger/open sections.