Heavy weather enroute

Status
Not open for further replies.

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
I was gonna head out to the river to try and get some fishing in before the conga line of atmospheric rivers blow everything out for the next week or so….and then I ventured to the grocery store to make the missus happy before I asked for hall pass. Shit oh dear it’a slick out there😏

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Exact same thing happened here with my doggo. He was not pleased.

New experience for my pups as well. The older dog went running out on the deck this morning, tried to stop at the top of the steps and just kept going. Took a nice luge ride down six steps and into the yard. Popped up like it was nothing but did take a peek back at the deck like he was thinking “what the f*>k was that?”. I threw some soil from the woods on the stairs for traction after that. We ended up with about a quarter inch of ice on top of existing, compacted snow.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Did you guys get those crazy assed winds that were forecast?
we didn't here in Sunriver...but here's the crazy thing...yesterday at 10 am here at 4,000' we were at 7 degrees, at the same time that my son was skiing Mt. Bachelor where the base is 6300', and the temp was 19 degrees.
Which pretty much defies the physics of the adiabatic rate, where temps drop 5 degrees with every 1000' of altitude gain. Have been watching mountain weather for decades, and have never seen such a disparity.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
No one is getting in or out of our neighbor hood. The only traction device that will work are my cleated wading boots.

It's about 31 degrees not, very light rain, not freezing right away. So there is a nice slick on the ice. I don't ever recall anything like this before.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
won't step foot outside without our Yaktrax pro's on.
Porter2, that's not a street, it's an ice rink.
My drive into Bend for an Rx for my wife was definitely in the white knuckle realm...

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
This is all Global warming at it's best. The whole USA is in a deep freeze. What in the hell has to happen before it warms up. This cold is effecting damn near everybody. I can't believe all the horror stories that people are experiencing because of the cold and the snow. You turn on the internet and there are stories all over the USA.

Snopro

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Which pretty much defies the physics of the adiabatic rate, where temps drop 5 degrees with every 1000' of altitude gain. Have been watching mountain weather for decades, and have never seen such a disparity.
It's still Physics, just of a temperature inversion. Fairly common where I live. Also called "the nothing" locally.

My wife gets annoyed being stuck in grey bird and 25° at 220' while I'm in bright sun at 5000'. Sometimes for a couple weeks straight.

At my home hill last night it was 30° @ 6540' and 4° @ 5380'. 🤯

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
It's still Physics, just of a temperature inversion. Fairly common where I live. Also called "the nothing" locally.

My wife gets annoyed being stuck in grey bird and 25° at 220' while I'm in bright sun at 5000'. Sometimes for a couple weeks straight.

At my home hill last night it was 30° @ 6540' and 4° @ 5380'. 🤯
assumed as much...just never experienced one for myself
I'll take 2' of snow over this mess any day

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
All flights out of Vancouver airport are canceled. Two runways are closed at SeaTac and fewer than 2 dozen flights have taken off or landed there. King county bus service is suspended.

Ugh.

Here’s the netting above our duck pen.

9EEA8DCE-3EBE-4E15-9648-6C1B51520B91.jpeg

kerrys

Ignored Member
Sloppy damn mess. 33 degrees, 8 inches of snow with a quarter inch of ice on top and now raining hard. UPS driver just made it up our hill and said driving is treacherous even being all chained up. He said road is solid ice with a coating of cold water on it and if I didn’t need to go anywhere to stay home.

JayB

Steelhead
Run two sets of wheels on my truck. Just had the spring-summer-fall wheels with Falken Wildpeak AT3W's swapped out for a set of brand new Blizzak snow tires this morning and even though I've been running that drill for at least a decade, the difference was astounding.

The Falken's are a pretty decent all-season tire, have fully siped tread blocks, qualify for the three-peak-snowflake symbol, etc but their performance is still almost comically bad compared to a dedicated snow tire.

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Run two sets of wheels on my truck. Just had the spring-summer-fall wheels with Falken Wildpeak AT3W's swapped out for a set of brand new Blizzak snow tires this morning and even though I've been running that drill for at least a decade, the difference was astounding. The Falken's are a pretty decent all-season tire, has fully siped tread blocks, qualifies for the three-peak-snowflake symbol, etc but the performance is still almost comically bad compared to a dedicated snow tire.
I’m completely sold on Blizzak snow tires- our ten year old Forester does really well with them. Probably not on that Portland hill in your previous post

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yeah your right we should be talking about 109 degree heat with no air conditioner. The snow and ice never happened.

Pretty soon after the snow and ice melts away, people will post about the rain and flooding.

The heat wave will follow and so will the tales.

The weather has weathered many people.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This is all Global warming at it's best. The whole USA is in a deep freeze. What in the hell has to happen before it warms up. This cold is effecting damn near everybody. I can't believe all the horror stories that people are experiencing because of the cold and the snow. You turn on the internet and there are stories all over the USA.

It's climate change now not global warming. You can't just follow the science. You gotta keep up with the changing science.

cody-

Steelhead
It's climate change now not global warming. You can't just follow the science. You gotta keep up with the changing science.

It's always been climate change. Sorry you followed the fake news media's buzz words and not the scientific literature, bud.

Status
Not open for further replies.