Heartbroken for Lahaina

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I am so deeply saddened as to what has happened to the old whaling town of Lahaina and the people that have lost their lives...

I've been there many times...and spent a week living on a boat in Lahaina Harbor working on a film shoot for black coral. I bought my first pair of Maui Jim's on that project on Front Street 35 years ago...

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Sailed into and stayed in that historic little harbor on several occasions close to fifty years ago. Quirky, fun, beautiful little place.
Lots of great memories there.

Heartbroken for those there that have lost so much.

Smokey Bear

El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity
Forum Supporter
It is very sad to see that there is nearly nothing left of the town. And will what’s left of the banyan tree survive? My dad lived in Kihei for a few years. 55 confirmed dead, and many hundreds still missing. Horrible.

Mingo

Life of the Party
My friends who live there say they got zero warning. No emergency text, no radio message, no EBS blast on TV. It just came in like a demon and destroyed everything in it's path.

Witnesses said most of the hydrants in and near Lahaina had no water feed. Completely useless at least in the early stages.

Over 1,000 still missing. Many of the burned cars you see on Front Street are from people who went down there trying to escape but had to abandon their vehicles and jump in the ocean to escape the inferno. Some made it, many did not. Truly horrific.

We've all become numb to scenes of cities bombed out in the middle east. Lahaina looks just like that now.
:cry:

mark wlker

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Lived there a good number of years ago when I was much younger (obviously). Deeply saddened by this.
Kimo's, The Blue Max, Longhi's, The Yacht Club, Lahaina Luna Hotel, Pioneer Hotel to name a few just memories now. :cry:

Smokey Bear

El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity
Forum Supporter
Kimo’s was one of our favorite places.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
My friends who live there say they got zero warning. No emergency text, no radio message, no EBS blast on TV. It just came in like a demon and destroyed everything in it's path.

Witnesses said most of the hydrants in and near Lahaina had no water feed. Completely useless at least in the early stages.

Over 1,000 still missing. Many of the burned cars you see on Front Street are from people who went down there trying to escape but had to abandon their vehicles and jump in the ocean to escape the inferno. Some made it, many did not. Truly horrific.

We've all become numb to scenes of cities bombed out in the middle east. Lahaina looks just like that now.
:cry:
I'm sure that the blame game will be played. Just remember this fire was pushed along by eighty mile an hour winds. That's 1.33 miles in 60 seconds.

Mingo

Life of the Party
I'm sure that the blame game will be played. Just remember this fire was pushed along by eighty mile an hour winds. That's 1.33 miles in 60 seconds.
Exactly. Those winds left little time to respond, but there is new info coming out on several system fails that could have made things better, or at least not as deadly. It's a shitty situation any way you look at it. I loved that town. And Kona is full of the same type of old wood structures. We even have an old boardwalk along the Kona Inn Center.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Man this is just awful. Lahaina was my first experience of hawaii. Even had my first date under the banyan tree, 10 year old me fell hard for a girl I met at the resort pool. Played tag under that tree. Dont pray much but am for Lahaina.

Mingo

Life of the Party
Tweakers are coming in at night on dirt bikes to loot and are meeting strong resistance from armed locals. They ain't playing around. There’s a lot of jewelry and high end art galleries in Lahaina. The scumbag looters are learning painful lessons…IMG_4045.jpeg

skyrise

Steelhead
Tweakers are coming in at night on dirt bikes to loot and are meeting strong resistance from armed locals. They ain't playing around. There’s a lot of jewelry and high end art galleries in Lahaina. The scumbag looters are learning painful lessons…View attachment 77602
Please pray for the people of Maui & Lahaina. And if you can donate to a fund to help. A certain guide from another Island is there now helping board up businesses and look for missing people.

Mingo

Life of the Party
Please pray for the people of Maui & Lahaina. And if you can donate to a fund to help. A certain guide from another Island is there now helping board up businesses and look for missing people.
You talking about Makani? Yeah he's been over there helping out and posting updates on looting and other stuff. People are really coming together but there are serious challenges. Limited gasoline deliveries, then assholes cutting the line and filling up 5 gas cans. Human nature and all....but mostly, everyone is coming together to protect property and board up windows and be there for each other. Maui no ka oi.

A friend lost her hair salon in downtown Lahaina, but she's ok and her house didn't burn, thank God.

Hopefully all other Fire Departments on all the island will use this as a wake up call to beef up inspections. Nothing could have saved everyone, given those raging winds. but things could have been handled much better. Much new info is being uncovered, but the true reality is being reported on the Coconut Wireless. And people trust that more than the news.

This morning they started telling everyone to stay out of the water. The bodies of those who drowned trying to escape the fire are still being found and sharks have moved in. It's gruesome.

Please donate if you can. 🤙 :cry:

Flymph

Steelhead
Keep reading there was no water to be had from fire hydrants? Can think of multiple possibilities why this might be the case but have yet to hear exactly why? Can anyone shed some light on this?

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Hawaii, an extremely poor state in terms of population living below poverty level income, has an exceedingly poor record of infrastructure maintenance.

RCF

Life of the Party
Keep reading there was no water to be had from fire hydrants? Can think of multiple possibilities why this might be the case but have yet to hear exactly why? Can anyone shed some light on this?
I heard on the news that there was no electricity for pumping water including out of the hydrants.

Shad

Life of the Party
Small world we live in. I saw a journalist from Honolulu being interviewed yesterday and realized he was my dormitory resident assistant and next door neighbor my freshman year in college. Good to see Naka on TV, but the circumstances are indeed horrible. I should call my sister today and see if she knows anyone who was affected. They lived on the Big Island for a few years but had friends in Maui....

I can't imagine the nightmare of being caught in an inferno fueled by 80-mph wind gusts. Those poor souls. My heart goes out....