Hammocks

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
@Cdnred this is my Resmed Airsense 9. Just the main unit with humidifier removed. Takes a specialty hose, which isn't that expensive, and with the 12V plug runs for a week off a 12V battery easily.

Freestone

Life of the Party
Forum Legend
Yeah I'm trying to stay away from them since I'm so much like you. I'll wait for your garage sale. Who am I kidding. You'll probably only have one oar stop and a strap out of your garage, then put both back in case you need them later. 😉

You know me too well! I really need to downsize but…

And a girl can never have too many straps! 🤣

cdnred

Life of the Party
On another note, anyone know of someone that has a used Colorado XT they'd consider selling. I'm a Canadian just across from Detroit and if the border restrictions ease I might consider coming out to Washington state next summer for a month or two..

Oldgoat03

Just Hatched
Hammock camping is my choice … always. I have a couple of Hennessy Hammocks (HH). Built in bug screen & rain fly and only 2-3 lbs depending on the model. I use a closed cell foam pad under which helps in cold weather. Best part is I no longer worry about uneven or rocky ground. HH are asymmetrical design so you lay accross the center line and can side sleep comfortably. Hammocks take some getting used to but I’ll never go back to carrying a tent if I can avoid it.

Bob

Attachments

• FAE4DFBA-F27C-4982-B52A-1AF6E0C8FBBF.jpeg
    FAE4DFBA-F27C-4982-B52A-1AF6E0C8FBBF.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 16

cdnred

Life of the Party
Hammock camping is my choice … always. I have a couple of Hennessy Hammocks (HH). Built in bug screen & rain fly and only 2-3 lbs depending on the model. I use a closed cell foam pad under which helps in cold weather. Best part is I no longer worry about uneven or rocky ground. HH are asymmetrical design so you lay accross the center line and can side sleep comfortably. Hammocks take some getting used to but I’ll never go back to carrying a tent if I can avoid it.

Bob
Luv the goat pic. Do you use him as your sherpa..? ;) I'm hoping to try one out this summer for comfort..

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
Stop sleeping on the ground you filthy animals. Elevate and levitate your sleep tactics and quality. After a decade in hammocks, I know I'm right and so do many who have trusted my guidance.
Haven't slept on the ground in decades. Went to campers and cots in tents. But do love the simplicity of the hammock system when I'm running stripped down camps.

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I've honestly never even laid in one. As a light, restless sleeper... would I even be comfortable?
Hey Evan. You may want to look into Bridge hammocks.

As mentioned above, Go to Hammock Forums. All your hammock Questions can probably be answered there.

If you get the right Hammock and figure it out, the sleep is heaven.

Go on "You Tube". Check out SHUG or Shug Emery. Shug addresses damn near everything Hammock related. He is an incredible resource.

Most of all have fun.

Bob

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
My younger brother introduced me to a hammock when backpacking in 2012. My 9' Clark Jungle Hammock (now owned by DutchWare) is a gathered end hammock with a built-in bug net and a top wind cover that can both be stowed. That cover can extend the comfort range in cold weather by at least 10°F. There are six large pockets that are below the hammock to stow clothes so I sleep over them, not on them. The clothes are kept warm for the morning, I'm not sleeping on a lumpy surface, and there is a little bit of insulating value. It's not an UL hammock but the extra warmth and relief from bugs is worth the extra pound of fabrics. It came with a 10'x10.5' silnylon tarp that provides a lot of protection from blowing mist in the clouds at higher elevations.
1644596922155.jpeg
I started out with a sleeping bag and a Thermarest inflatable pad in "wings". The wings provided insulation up the side and helped reduce but did not eliminate the pad sliding out from underneath my feet.
1644597699942.jpeg
The following year I bought a 30° down full-length underquilt and 40° top quilt. They are much lighter, take up less pack space, and have made a world of difference in comfort, there is no pad to slide around and I can sleep very warm to 30°. Plus now the clothes are kept toasty warm between me and the underquilt for the morning. I also got whoopies for the suspension that makes rigging the hammock faster-easier, and set of snakeskins to stow my tarp in. The snakeskins provide several advantages that allows quick deployment so I can pre-rig the tarp over the hammock, stake it out, then quickly stow it in the 'skins so I can view the stars from my hammock. But I can quickly deploy the tarp again it if rains during the night. It also allows me to carry a wet tarp strapped to the outside of my pack like a climbing rope.
1644600241167.jpeg

1644602750884.jpeg
There was a fall trip in 2016 through the Indian Heaven Wilderness. It was cold, with variable winds, and heavy rain for nearly the whole trip. One day I got real cold sitting outside the hammock under the tarp where with my tenting friends and I holed up to get out of the rain. That November I picked up a larger silpoly winter tarp with doors on both ends. It has a dual end-pole mod, and side tieouts that make it palatial inside but weighs less than the OEM tarp. It has much more wind protection that I put to use the following May on a southeast facing ridge up above the Teanaway with a gorgeous view of the Stewart Range. It got down to the high 20s with snow and blowing wind. I can leave the end-poles at home and use the side-tieouts to save one pound of weight.
1644602982854.jpeg1644602956514.jpeg
Unfortunately my 2 backpacking partners who are 6 years younger than I decided after a Mt Rainier Northern Loop trip that they'd rather car camp so I haven't been backpacking since 2018.

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
Would you mind giving the make and model of your 4 season hammock? I'm interested in putting together a hammock camping setup and the choices are a little overwhelming.
I actually went inexpensive. It's made by Easthills Outdoor called the Skyloft. Came with everything, including tarp, for $65. Then I added the under and sleeping bag (both made by OneTigris it's like a huge woobie). The under quilt is needed for the under insulation. Also have a pad. Just pad in hammock won't be enough I was told. So wasn't that expensive so figured why not.
I saw a YT review of OneWind hammocks by Derek Hansen who wrote the Ultimate Hang book. They're built overseas for a lower price point than the great US cottage mfgs but they are nice. My brother picked up the tarp for his diy gathered end hammock and it is very nice. His son bought him the hammock, bugnet and 4-season cover, (and quilts?) for Christmas. He wants to get out (car camping) with it, and me 🤠 this spring-summer.

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
Nice setup Brian 👍
this occasion hammock backpacker also does not have many trip partners, just saying.
Yeah, we've been car camping together a few times since but I do miss the solitude of getting away from the road.

Seaalki

I saw a YT review of OneWind hammocks by Derek Hansen who wrote the Ultimate Hang book. They're built overseas for a lower price point than the great US cottage mfgs but they are nice. My brother picked up the tarp for his diy gathered end hammock and it is very nice. His son bought him the hammock, bugnet and 4-season cover, (and quilts?) for Christmas. He wants to get out (car camping) with it, and me 🤠 this spring-summer.

Firstly thanks for this, a couple quick questions before I pull the trigger on a hammock system, size 11' or 12' hammock, double or single ?, what are the pro's and cons, REI states double is more comfortable no matter what your height, I'm 5'7", but do like comfort, and am a total neophyte :rolleyes: on this subject.

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
Firstly thanks for this, a couple quick questions before I pull the trigger on a hammock system, size 11' or 12' hammock, double or single ?, what are the pro's and cons, REI states double is more comfortable no matter what your height, I'm 5'7", but do like comfort, and am a total neophyte :rolleyes: on this subject.
I'm no expert but bought a double hammock. When I sleep in it I keep trying to think how I would sleep 2 in it. 😆

Freestone

Life of the Party
Forum Legend
Get a single! Most doubles are too short and meant for lounging with two people, not for sleeping. In most doubles, you will have so much extra fabric flapping in your face, it will be annoying.

At 5’7, you could do an 11’ with no problem. But longer is usually always better so it’s a matter of whether you want to carry the extra weight. And, remember, it’s not just the extra weight of the hammock, but also the netting, zipper (if you have built in netting), plus you will likely want a longer tarp too. I used to be 5’7 before I shrunk and was totally comfortable in even a 10.5’ one. Now, an 11’ is heaven!

Last edited:

Seaalki

Jerry, Freestone, thanks for the replies, been thinking and measuring all day, and came to Freestone’s recommendation, 11‘, single it is, I’ll sleep on it, ( pun ) and pull the trigger tomorrow, OneWind with everything please. Thanks again

Freestone

Life of the Party
Forum Legend
Jerry, Freestone, thanks for the replies, been thinking and measuring all day, and came to Freestone’s recommendation, 11‘, single it is, I’ll sleep on it, ( pun ) and pull the trigger tomorrow, OneWind with everything please. Thanks again
If you can swing the extra cost and wanted one-stop shopping, I would buy from Dutch. And if you aren’t sure about hammock camping and just want to try it, I would buy this package on sale from Dutch. For $96 all-in, you can’t go wrong.