Got any bird pics?

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
I wonder what got it or what happened?
The blood droplets on the wing & hole behind the bottom beak makes me thinks it may have been shot. Air rifle perhaps?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
The blood droplets on the wing & hole behind the bottom beak makes me thinks it may have been shot. Air rifle perhaps?
Possible I suppose but like I mentioned a crow was really going after it, pulling stuff from it, with enough vigor it looked to me like it could spatter, but I'm no expert.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Could use some help.

Haven't been fast enough to get a pic yet. This spring we've had a large blue Jay with black wings and head visiting the backyards here.

I'm familiar with the eastern Bluejays, but this one has me stymied for I.D. since it's so fast.

Could anyone point me to which species this one is ?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Could use some help.

Haven't been fast enough to get a pic yet. This spring we've had a large blue Jay with black wings and head visiting the backyards here.

I'm familiar with the eastern Bluejays, but this one has me stymied for I.D. since it's so fast.

Could anyone point me to which species this one is ?

Steller’s Jay?
SF

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
On the way home from a trip to take pictures of spring wildflowers at Mima Mounds, I stopped off at McLane Creek. In my first glance around the lake, I spotted a wood duck drake resting on a log with a turtle. Two other wood duck drakes were snoozing on several lily pads. You can see the nictitating membrane covering the eye of the left drake.
WoodDuckDrakes5218.jpg
A fourth drake was slowly working its way slowly through patches of lily pads to search for a snack. He approached close enough for some really good pictures.
WoodDuckDrake5232.jpg
WoodDuckDrake5246.jpg
I didn’t see any hens around; I suspect that they were incubating eggs in the nest boxes around the pond. To anthropomorphize the situation, it is as if the males are waiting around for the “babies” to be born. But more likely, they are just waiting for a late-arriving females for one more chance to breed this spring.
Steve

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I didn’t see any hens around; I suspect that they were incubating eggs in the nest boxes around the pond. To anthropomorphize the situation, it is as if the males are waiting around for the “babies” to be born. But more likely, they are just waiting for a late-arriving females for one more chance to breed this spring.
Steve
Thanks as always for sharing your way cool images Steve. When I participated in spring aerial and ground waterfowl pair counts, single drakes counted as "pair". You are spot on that the hens are likely incubating eggs or perhaps brood rearing. Male puddle ducks (woodies included) often group together and hang out in areas with lots of cover where they can go through the flightless molting period. The females typically molt after completing brood rearing process. Some waterfowl species will travel 100's of miles to congregate in specific areas for molting.

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
my son Jack and I were around this area today

1715139911055.png
We were following a magpie when it suddenly darted into the bushes just in front of us and tossed out a live bunny. I didn't realize how good these guys are at hunting!

1715139607595.png

1715139854621.png1715139673001.png
Pithed, repeatedly, right in front of us...
1715139634078.png
Seen later in the day
1715139755453.png1715139727023.png
Back at Smith Rock, on top of one of the towers was maybe a red tailed hawk eyeing a swallow. there are some golden eagles apparently there, I don't think we saw any though there were tons of geese and lots of vultures...
1715139786177.png
And right at the end of the footbridge is a tree with 6 magpie chicks in two nests...no one was eating bunny in this dorm
1715139822513.png

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I think this was an eagle fishing with me this morning, not an osprey, as it had a really white head, but I'm worse at IDing birds than bugs. In all the fish grabbing shots it's lost in the background. Next time by my indicator went down.
20240508_eagle.jpg