Got a few

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Had a great time carp hunting with some seriously fishy young guys. They both happen to be guides, but got the weekend off to actually just have fun fishing. Those that have guided understand that is a luxury, especially during the summer. They both can fish as hard or harder than me so we had a great time even during the slow times. One of them (Mitch) is my buddy's son so we I've taken him out a few times and it's always a good time. And his buddy/co-worker Will is a great dude. And FISHY!

We hit Banks Lake, using my boat to get to the flats we wanted to wade. We also fished out of the boat a few times. We missed some eats from the boat, but nothing landed. All the fish we landed were from shore or while wading. Of course, we missed eats doing that too. It is carp fishing after all. 😏

Will got on the board literally with his first real cast. I was worried the 1st cast curse might plague us, but I think we avoided it...mostly. Haha!
They might need a bigger net.
GOPR0131_1689617382398 (1).jpg

Will ended up going 3 for 4 on Saturday. I went 2 for 3. My 1st fish was the most deliberate eat possible. It was like he held up a sign that said "I'm gonna go eat that" and then another one that said "Strike now!" Wish they were all that easy. The 2nd was more of the usual zen "I think he ate" type of eat & hookup. Those feel great, but I also missed 3 or 4 eats.

Sunday brought some really tough conditions with multiple missed eats, but all 3 of us hooked up on 1 fish each. Will and I were lucky to land ours, but Mitch lost his hog in the reeds.

My fish was in a rocky area where they were definitely cycling through and eating damsel nymphs. So I put on a standard #10 damsel nymph and gave it a shot. Sure enough, the 2nd good chance I got, the biggest of 3 hunting fish followed my stripped damsel and ate it. And then got pissed! Haha! He took me about 20 feet into my backing and somehow didn't break me off on the multiple rocks.

Net man Mitch getting ready-
Screenshot_20230717_204828_Instagram.jpg

He had some shoulders!
Screenshot_20230718_103736_Instagram.jpg

Definitely one of the prettiest and fastest carp I've ever caught. It was nice to get a decent zinger after my 2 smaller and tamer ones on Saturday. Made all the hard work, in the heat, worth it. Shout out to Will for a great pic.

Will caught his last fish on Sunday literally on his last cast. He was walking for the boat when a fish came into view. It went for the reeds, but the fly held and he scooped it out of the reeds. He was stoked! His Orvis Helios 8wt tip broke on Saturday so he caught a couple on my 7wt Redington Pursuit, but Sunday he was using an 8wt Butterstick. He literally "gave em the butt" on that last fish. I'll have that bent rod burned into my memory. So Will caught fish on his 1st cast and his last cast. Not sure I've ever done that. Like I said, he's fishy.

Banks is a beautiful place and we had a great time. Always fun to hang with the young ones. I taught them a few things, but they taught me just as much. And we all learned a little more about chasing these crazy fish.

Screenshot_20230718_103757_Instagram.jpg

Cheers,
Stacy

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Great report, Stacy! I don't disagree with what you say: "Definitely one of the prettiest and fastest carp I've ever caught" but many of my former coworkers are biologists and I remember their grunting and groaning about my carp fishing reports.

When you guys were fishing from the boat - were you anchored, drifting or stalking with someone using a push pole (I think I now the answer wasn't with a push pole....).

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Great report, Stacy! I don't disagree with what you say: "Definitely one of the prettiest and fastest carp I've ever caught" but many of my former coworkers are biologists and I remember their grunting and groaning about my carp fishing reports.

When you guys were fishing from the boat - were you anchored, drifting or stalking with someone using a push pole (I think I now the answer wasn't with a push pole....).
Haha! Hard for them to appreciate the invasives I'm sure.

We were really wishing we had a push pole! We would gas motor to our location, bow mount troll motor to position and then usually anchor up in a good spot that we saw fish working or at least cycling through. We had 3 guys in the boat so would take turns taking shots. We definitely missed some eats from the boat. 2 guys and a push pole would work much better.
Most of our success was just motoring to a spot and then jumping out to fish from shore or wade.

If I was solo I would probably stay in the boat more often and use the foot control simply for the advantage of a good casting platform and view point. Depends on the wind. And the wet wading felt fabulous and a great way to stay cool. Boats are hot!

The main con of fishing from the boat is that the carp see you easier and sooner. You're giving up those close shots where a little flip or roll cast will do it because they have definitely seen you by that point. It's great for access though! And even though the casts are longer, you can see very well.

I like the ability to roll cast to close fish so I think wading has the overall fishing advantage as long as the visibility is good, but a boat gives you lots of options.

You should buy one! :D

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Haha! Hard for them to appreciate the invasives I'm sure.

We were really wishing we had a push pole! We would gas motor to our location, bow mount troll motor to position and then usually anchor up in a good spot that we saw fish working or at least cycling through. We had 3 guys in the boat so would take turns taking shots. We definitely missed some eats from the boat. 2 guys and a push pole would work much better.
Most of our success was just motoring to a spot and then jumping out to fish from shore or wade.

If I was solo I would probably stay in the boat more often and use the foot control simply for the advantage of a good casting platform and view point. Depends on the wind. And the wet wading felt fabulous and a great way to stay cool. Boats are hot!

The main con of fishing from the boat is that the carp see you easier and sooner. You're giving up those close shots where a little flip or roll cast will do it because they have definitely seen you by that point. It's great for access though! And even though the casts are longer, you can see very well.

I like the ability to roll cast to close fish so I think wading has the overall fishing advantage as long as the visibility is good, but a boat gives you lots of options.

You should buy one! :D
@Engee and I would take turns at the push pole and fishing from the bow. My old Hewescraft (14’) had a bow cover - great platform for sight casting. We’ve always thought carp could hear and were spooked by the electric motor.

I can remember quite a few afternoons on the Columbia where both the bow angler and push poler would bellyflop into the river to cool off.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
@Engee and I would take turns at the push pole and fishing from the bow. My old Hewescraft (14’) had a bow cover - great platform for sight casting. We’ve always thought carp could hear and were spooked by the electric motor.

I can remember quite a few afternoons on the Columbia where both the bow angler and push poler would bellyflop into the river to cool off.
Yeah, I wondered about the electric motor. This one is pretty damn quiet, but I have no doubt the carp could sense it somehow. The advantage of a pole is it can push, but also hold the boat. My motor doesn't have the GPS lock and even if it did, that would mean it's running a lot. No bueno on the battery.

We definitely felt like belly flopping a few times!