Gorge shad & carp trip

My buddy and I did the shad thing just below John Day dam. It was hot fishing last year so I tried to repeat it this year. You know how that goes most of the time. The river is WAY low this year so the table and shelves I was fishing last year were exposed by several feet this year. The current is also slow right now. And there were more people. Go figure.
So...the shad fishing was slow. The wind was absolutely brutal on Saturday as well. We caught a few both days, but only fished it for a couple hours before calling it.
This one was the biggest of the trip and gave my 5wt all it could handle.
IMG_20230701_182400.jpg

We drove to a the carp spots that I know about on the Washington side that were somewhat sheltered from the wind. Of course, lots of spots were too low. The weeds are gonna be horrible this year.
I got lucky on Saturday afternoon. Long cast, didn't foul on the rocks and a nice one ate a Hybrid that was dropping and moving slightly since the wind was pushing my long line. Saw what I thought was a strike, saw the line tip move a bit, hooked up! Definitely one of my favorite takes. Glad there weren't too many weeds since he took me to my backing by the time I got down to the water.
IMG_20230701_182356.jpg

He was probably 13-14 lbs. Broke my damn hook once in the net. Haha!

And here's the poor little bluegill (a day later) that thought he could out tussle my 8wt just 3 casts before the carp hookup. Literally thought it was weeds. He landed in the rocks. Sorry lil dude! RIP Hopefully some critter benefits from him.
20230702_150549.jpg

Sunday carping was mostly about trying to get my buddy hooked up. He nearly had one in roughly the same spot as mine, but he got "Bluegilled". I was up above coaching and he had a great cast and a 10-12 lb carp was following his Hybrid- "strip, STOP! Sit....sit, okay strip, STRIP, STOP....STRIKE! Oh SHIT, what???" A damn bluegill literally took the Hybrid away from the carp at THE last moment. The carp had pumped his tail one last time and reached slightly to his right to take the fly and the bluegill came out of nowhere like a car running a red light and ruined the party. It was so close that when the carp turned and I saw his rod flex I thought he was hooked up. He could barely see the carp and also thought he was hooked up for just a half second. So frustrating, but that's carp hunting.

We wanted to hit another spot, but there was a fire in Underwood (Tunnel 5 fire) right along HWY 14 so we wanted to get to Hood River bridge before anything crazy happened. Here is the first big puff of smoke from one of the carp spots. Hope everyone in Underwood, Bingen & White Salmon are safe today. The fire was threatening 100 structures and evacuations were ongoing as of 5pm yesterday. I see that's over 500 acres now and 0% contained today. Really hope the wind stays down today.
20230702_151456.jpg

The shad fishing and conditions could have been better, but still stoked for the carp and just hanging out with my buddy. We don't do it enough so that was awesome.

Cheers,
Stacy

Stoneflywelding

Sometimes I go fishing.
Forum Supporter
I’m gonna be doing this trip end of this month. I’ve never done the shad thing but I’ve heard it can be fun on a trout Spey in the right spots. I tied a bunch of shad flies 3 years ago and still haven’t used them. Hell of a carp that’s for sure! All of mine have been less that 6-7 lbs. I’d love to get a big one this year.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hope that fire gets contained.
I have family all up and down the gorge.
My kids were driving through hood river this weekend and sent us pics. Parents aren't too far and packing up stuff.
Been a bad few years for fires in that area.

Nice carp. My grandson is scared of carp. When we are going for trout, he sees a carp under the boat, starts reeling in and says that's too big I don't want to catch it lol

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’m gonna be doing this trip end of this month. I’ve never done the shad thing but I’ve heard it can be fun on a trout Spey in the right spots. I tied a bunch of shad flies 3 years ago and still haven’t used them. Hell of a carp that’s for sure! All of mine have been less that 6-7 lbs. I’d love to get a big one this year.
Trout spey is perfect for shad.
Oh man, shad will be over by the end of July. Even last year, when they peaked late (6/26-7/1 at Bonneville), there were less than 1k per day by 7/28. Last 2 weeks of June is usually perfect. The water level is the problem this year. At least at John Day. Last year the water was high and I was able to use my 5 & 6 weights with Skagit heads and 5' or 10' sinking tips. I could even use a barely weighted fly and still reach fish. This year, those runs are dry and as a result the fish are deeper and the slower water seemed to also effect the bite. They prefer decent current.

Good luck for carp! Again, the water level will be your main challenge. Some good spots are just dry.

Stoneflywelding

Sometimes I go fishing.
Forum Supporter
Trout spey is perfect for shad.
Oh man, shad will be over by the end of July. Even last year, when they peaked late (6/26-7/1 at Bonneville), there were less than 1k per day by 7/28. Last 2 weeks of June is usually perfect. The water level is the problem this year. At least at John Day. Last year the water was high and I was able to use my 5 & 6 weights with Skagit heads and 5' or 10' sinking tips. I could even use a barely weighted fly and still reach fish. This year, those runs are dry and as a result the fish are deeper and the slower water seemed to also effect the bite. They prefer decent current.

Good luck for carp! Again, the water level will be your main challenge. Some good spots are just dry.
I mostly meant the trip would be for carp and likely some bass. But I just figured after seeing your post I’d be prepared. Either way I don’t have kids or a wife for 4 days and I am just excited to explore alone for a while. I love poking around the Columbia with a fly rod there’s just so much to offer and you never know what you’ll find.