Good sign…..or bad?

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
If the first fish you catch on a new rod is a 25+ inch rainbow that tows you around a bit? It was heavy and longer than my stripping apron is wide. So…permanent fish god mojo on this rod….or is it cursed? Kind of like catching a fish on the first cast of the day….

C54AC73F-A883-4CD2-812F-AF24690D3B47.jpeg

Took the day off to pick up a new rod (Sage Sonic 697). Hit the salt early before the shop opened and caught a few small SRC chasing chum fry. Headed to a lake after. Slow but I started at noon so was not expecting much. One lost fish and one other small rainbow made it to my net. Beats work!

193D7C5B-DE73-4FA9-ABB4-F25B9EE6830D.jpeg

Hobbyranch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
If the first fish you catch on a new rod is a 25+ inch rainbow that tows you around a bit? It was heavy and longer than my stripping apron is wide. So…permanent fish god mojo on this rod….or is it cursed? Kind of like catching a fish on the first cast of the day….

View attachment 11788

Took the day off to pick up a new rod (Sage Sonic 697). Hit the salt early before the shop opened and caught a few small SRC chasing chum fry. Headed to a lake after. Slow but I started at noon so was not expecting much. One lost fish and one other small rainbow made it to my net. Beats work!

View attachment 11787
What a way to start!

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Well, since I got such a mixed response, I had to go just find out for myself this morning. Verdict ….good mojo ;).

Who has time for the Easter Bunny when there are Easter piggies to be had! Both these stretched over the 18 inch mark on my stripping basket by a bit. We’ll just say ~20. The first one was a tad bigger than the second.

25504DA0-1F58-42AC-8DE0-99583A91E616.jpeg

7EA115AD-A015-4D76-A2C8-36377A5E3A42.jpeg
Plus three more in this range….14-15 inchers.

4A0AE0E6-D45C-4182-BCF3-CAE40676106C.jpeg

I know these are just stocker trout but definitely finding this to be a nice alternative to chasing SRC all the time this time of year. Looking forward to chasing bass a bit in the coming weeks as well.

How is the new rod? 697-4 Sonic?

Liking it quite a bit. Has similar action to other Sage fast action rods which is why I bought it. Another beach rod mainly.

RCF

Life of the Party
Definitely good Mojo! It has been my experience one will always catch a bigger fish than the first one. Now get out there and prove me right!

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
I too have branched into lakes a bit from the salt. Stocker rainbows are to sea runs what root beer is to a nice IPA. Sure, I know which I’d rather have, but either is pretty good. And with all the pressures our wild fish face, it’s not a bad thing to fish a more artificial arena like a stocked lake.

Also, nice toads!