gear price jumps

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That's a great idea with the exception that it still wouldn't work....it would require people to actually read the instructions.

If there's monetary incentive to learn the system and read the directions it will work. I actually think I'm onto something here. A company can cut costs, seal a consumer into their system, and reduce waste. This equates to more loyal customer base, higher profits, and less overall garbage. Let's not forget how I will green wash the hell out of this thing in the marketing campaign. We can't lose.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
The amount of packaging waste associated with the entire flyline market is a pimple on the ass of a skeeter compared to the average McDonalds franchise.

krusty

Forum Supporter
Have you priced spoons and lures lately?
Indeed...most dedicated gear fisherfolk spend a great deal more than flyfishing dweebs.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Not that this helps anyone.... but as someone who is also a gear fisherman with two boats (including one that goes in the ocean)..... A $120 fly line is very much in the "oh that's cute" category :ROFLMAO:

No, I'm not rich. Probably in the bottom 50% of earners here... I bought junk boats I fixed up. BUT... gearing up for a summer/fall of meat fishing, the expenses REALLY pile up. Fly fishing is VERY cheap by comparison.

So much this. It always amazes me that fly fishing has such a reputation for being expensive. Seems like many of the people pushing that notion must not have any experience in the gear fishing world. The money involved in even our paltry amount of offshore fishing makes fly fishing seem like a bargain. And if you get into the offshore stuff in many other places in the world its far more expensive yet.

And it's not just the offshore world. How much money are folks who are even halfway serious about bass or musky fishing spending? How many dedicated river guys are floating a river with just a single gear rod or two? Ever priced lures and such? Quality spinning reels?

Fishing simply isn't a cheap hobby, no matter which route one chooses to pursue.

Not that that explains a huge price jump for a fly line lol. I know nothing about that.

Last edited:

krusty

Forum Supporter
So much this. It always amazes me that fly fishing has such a reputation for being expensive. Seems like many of the people pushing that notion must not have any experience in the gear fishing world. The money involved in even our paltry amount of offshore fishing makes fly fishing seem like a bargain. And if you get into the offshore stuff in many other places in the world its far more expensive yet.
I think it's a remnant boomer memory of the old 'Eagle-Claw' bait fishing days versus the once 'elite' reputation of flyfishing.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Have you priced spoons and lures lately?
srsly....I mean, just grabbing a few off-brand topwaters for my spinning setup for Baja is still ridiculous!

Zak

Legend
Me too, when the spool separates when I winding line onto it with a drill motor............
That's just what happened me two days ago, but without the drill. I was putting a new line on my reel using my standard technique of pushing a pencil through the spool, holding the pencil with my toes, and reeling the line on. The spool separated into two halves and the line got all snarled up.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
That's just what happened me two days ago, but without the drill. I was putting a new line on my reel using my standard technique of pushing a pencil through the spool, holding the pencil with my toes, and reeling the line on. The spool separated into two halves and the line got all snarled up.
Tourettes moment? I just laugh anymore when it happens as I halfway expect it to.

Reactions: Zak

kmudgn

Steelhead
I guess if you are fishing with a $1,000 waders, $1,500 rod, $300 boots and flies that you bought at the shop for $ 4 each maybe $200 for a fly line doesn't seem so out of order.

I wouldn't pay it (shout out to Cortland!!), but then again, I am a cheap & old bastard.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I guess if you are fishing with a $1,000 waders, $1,500 rod, $300 boots and flies that you bought at the shop for $ 4 each maybe $200 for a fly line doesn't seem so out of order.

I wouldn't pay it (shout out to Cortland!!), but then again, I am a cheap & old bastard.
Hahaha, your handle suits your description of yourself. My wife calls me a curmudgeon from time to time.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
These new Scientific Angler Magnitude saltwater clear tip and full clear fly lines are expensive at $180 apiece, but look very interesting. They only offer it in the classic SA tropical saltwater tapers for bonefish, tarpon, permit, etc. This is not a threat to the budget of the Cortland peach loving PNW trout angler. If SA has truly solved the tangling and fogging issues with other clear saltwater tropical lines it would be worth the price. Has anyone here tested these Magnitude fly lines? The SA "Grand Slam" taper is one of my favorites. I imagine this would be popular with dedicated permit anglers.
20240426_144534.jpg