Found at least one willing player...

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I played with Randy’s fly for a few hours today, and not only did I move some things, but I also got a couple of good grabs and this:

IMG_0851.jpegIMG_0849.jpeg
Thanks again @clarkman for the net assist. It was crazy being pulled around in an 18’ canoe by a “small” fish.

Musky are frustrating bastards (especially when you can see them!) and I love them!

ADDENDUM: I also can’t help but keep laughing about how a fierce predator has a face like a duck.

Last edited:

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
How far are you guys getting on your casts? It was my first time tossing flies like this on saturday, and was having trouble getting over like 35' or so.
Are you guys super active in casting and Stripping? Or doing any trolling?

Nice fish. I'm jealous.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
No more than 50'. It really isn't necessary since you can position your boat accordingly. Although the longer you can cast, the more real estate you have if a fish starts following earlier.

Retrieve = constantly changing from slow twitch to walk the dog. I never fish super fast, but sometimes get up into the brisk territory.

I'll get them trolling from time to time, but that's just moving from one spot to another.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Hell yeah, guys. Nice fish @Jake
I still trout set
We all have some version of “cmon eat it eat it eat it goddam fish fuck”. I like yours

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
“cmon eat it eat it eat it goddam fish fuck”.
sounds about right...had one of those yesterday too...peeled off on the first turn under the boat.

Mike Ediger

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I find all the positive responses to these photos rather interesting. The only thing I take away is I don't want to be in a little rubber floaty outcast with my feet dangling like bait in the water that has these things swimming in it. I have seen to many of those videos of these things destroying ducks or other small woodland creatures right off the surface of the water. It also reminds me a video of some guy sticking his arm in the water off a dock somewhere in the south east and a tarpon grabs it and drags him in. No thanks!!! :LOL:
While I have never targeted musky or pike, I have had a few turn on, and even take stuff while bass fishing in shallow water, though they broke me off almost instantly. It is enough to really get the heart going for sure and make me want to come back with the appropriate tools.
Looks like a fun day for sure. Well done!

Last edited: