For those who carry on the river

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
The circumstances associated with justifiable discharge of a firearm towards an individual far transcend any considerations about your ability to do so in an accurate manner.
Whereas the decision to pull a trigger in self defense will likely be the most impactive decision of your life, missing the target and injuring/killing an innocent bystander will only make an already terrible situation that much worse.

Last edited:

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Tweakers should be actively hunted with a long gun. A comfortable shoulder strap and an AR platform should allow you to both fish for non existent steelhead and actively hunt the state animal, the northwestern tweaker. They are often found in the Riverside habitat of once great steelhead streams so you are already in the hunt while fishing. The extra range and capacity of the rifle really helps rack up limits and defend at distance against this feral and invasive species. Some are very aggressive as their overpopulation and lack of predation has emboldened them as they encroach into other habitats. I suggest a bait station of an unattended car or bicycle. Silencers can be a big help for multiple kills per outing. Get the proper tax stamp for these, do not make your own.
Dude... An urban Cast & Blast!

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Just thought I'd ask this question, "How many of you have actually practiced using this firearm with any amount of safety training"? Not being snarky just don't like the idea of bullets flying through the air. I have had shot land in one of the lakes I fish from moron bird hunters and there is no place to take cover!!
I treat my firearms training like my birth control policy. Spray and pray, and pull and pray.

Flymph

Steelhead

RCW 9.41.230

Aiming or discharging firearms, dangerous weapons.​

(1) For conduct not amounting to a violation of chapter 9A.36 RCW, any person who:
(a) Aims any firearm, whether loaded or not, at or towards any human being;
(b) Willfully discharges any firearm, air gun, or other weapon, or throws any deadly missile in a public place, or in any place where any person might be endangered thereby. A public place shall not include any location at which firearms are authorized to be lawfully discharged; or
(c) Except as provided in RCW 9.41.185, sets a so-called trap, spring pistol, rifle, or other dangerous weapon,
although no injury results, is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.
(2) If an injury results from a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person violating subsection (1) of this section shall be subject to the applicable provisions of chapters 9A.32 and 9A.36 RCW.

A click on 9A.32 basically reveals a serious felony.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

RCW 9.41.230

Aiming or discharging firearms, dangerous weapons.​

(1) For conduct not amounting to a violation of chapter 9A.36 RCW, any person who:
(a) Aims any firearm, whether loaded or not, at or towards any human being;
(b) Willfully discharges any firearm, air gun, or other weapon, or throws any deadly missile in a public place, or in any place where any person might be endangered thereby. A public place shall not include any location at which firearms are authorized to be lawfully discharged; or
(c) Except as provided in RCW 9.41.185, sets a so-called trap, spring pistol, rifle, or other dangerous weapon,
although no injury results, is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.
(2) If an injury results from a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person violating subsection (1) of this section shall be subject to the applicable provisions of chapters 9A.32 and 9A.36 RCW.

A click on 9A.32 basically reveals a serious felony.

I got ways around all of that. Believe me! Nobody knows their way around that stuff like I do. I have a bigly perfect record of clean and legal kills like you've never seen. They're all talking about it. It's some kind of record I tell you.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
There's a fair amount of tweakers and other weirdos jungling up along the Spokane River...some openly hostile and obviously mentally ill. Bear spray might be the best option for such urban fisheries. The perp is likely to survive, and you're less likely to be subject to ruinous civil suit by survivors for harming an illustrious and altogether wonderful family member.

Remember...a shooting might well be deemed justified under criminal law...but that doesn't protect you from civil suit liability. A cadre of plaintiff attorneys await....
Protecting myself is about returning home to my wife and kids at the end of the day and that’s that. I’m not looking for trouble in the least, but I am also not going to be a victim of some bizarre and unpredictable circumstance if I can help it. It goes without saying I’d rather be alive and in legal trouble, then the alternative. I’ll let the local sheriffs office decide if I have the right to concealed carry, and rely upon my own judgement on when and why I choose to exercise that right thank you.

As far as training goes, I get that. That’s not flying over my head at all. I’ve managed to learn a lot of new skills in my life because I’m just the type of person that wants to excel at my craft, whatever that may be. I also live on acreage in the mountains, I can shoot whenever I want to and have access to training courses just like anyone else if I decide to do so. I realize all of this type of stuff needs to be said at some level, so I do respect and appreciate the responses.

But…. I am also not stupid.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Protecting myself is about returning home to my wife and kids at the end of the day and that’s that. I’m not looking for trouble in the least, but I am also not going to be a victim of some bizarre and unpredictable circumstance if I can help it. It goes without saying I’d rather be alive and in legal trouble, then the alternative. I’ll let the local sheriffs office decide if I have the right to concealed carry, and rely upon my own judgement on when and why I choose to exercise that right thank you.

As far as training goes, I get that. That’s not flying over my head at all. I’ve managed to learn a lot of new skills in my life because I’m just the type of person that wants to excel at my craft, whatever that may be. I also live on acreage in the mountains, I can shoot whenever I want to and have access to training courses just like anyone else if I decide to do so. I realize all of this type of stuff needs to be said at some level, so I do respect and appreciate the responses.

But…. I am also not stupid.

When you get enough bagged and want to get taxidermy work done or setup your own trophy room let me know. I would do things differently given another shot.

• Haha
Reactions: JS

kmudgn

Steelhead
I have retired after 28 years in a career in which I carried a hand gun (first a wheel gun, then an auto) every day. My attitude about firearms is that it is a tool. In the same way a plumber carries a wrench, I carried a hand gun. I have not carried a gun since I retired and certainly would never consider carrying one while I was on the water. So, for what its worth, here is my take on being armed while fishing:

1. Stop being a pussy. If you are afraid and think you "must have, or need to have" a firearm on the water, find somewhere else to fish. The exception to this would be someplace like AK where bears might be an issue, but I suspect that the bear would spit the gun out as he took a chunk out of you anyway
2. Rule number one covers all situations, No further instructions are necessary

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have retired after 28 years in a career in which I carried a hand gun (first a wheel gun, then an auto) every day. My attitude about firearms is that it is a tool. In the same way a plumber carries a wrench, I carried a hand gun. I have not carried a gun since I retired and certainly would never consider carrying one while I was on the water. So, for what its worth, here is my take on being armed while fishing:

1. Stop being a pussy. If you think are afraid and you "must have, or need to have" a firearm on the water, find somewhere else to fish. The exception to this would be someplace like AK where bears might be an issue, but I suspect that the bear would spit the gun out as he took a chunk out of you anyway
2. Rule number one covers all situations, No further instructions are necessary

Just to add to this. Tweakers are likely more afraid of you than you are of them. Yes, they can be dangerous during breeding and wire surround season but in general they scamper off once sighted.

Reactions: JS

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
^
This...

The amount of hot air expended on these carry threads by the 'experts' is quite impressive.

:)

Says the guy who only dreams of a dream hunt and trophy room of real action posed quarry.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Meh

I own a backhoe.
Trophy rooms are for wannabes.

It's like showing off your classified documents at cocktail party, total loser stuff.
Bigly...

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Meh

I own a backhoe.
Trophy rooms are for wannabes.

It's like showing off your classified documents at cocktail party, total loser stuff.
Bigly...

I do it to honour my quarry and respect their existence.