For those who carry on the river

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
Looking around for a chest holster that will fit comfortably under waders, any suggestions?

mooseknuckles

Distinguished Degenerate
The Kenai by Gun Fighters travels with us almost everywhere. We have multiple Kenai models as we find them to be very comfortable. All while securely holding the firearm tight against our body so that it does not move as well as extremely adjustable to fit both my wife and I. Gun Fighters is a local company originally from WA, however they recently moved production to Rathdrum, ID.

68110F88-C82B-4257-B5E6-CFFB66975440.jpeg

Last edited:

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
Interesting thread. I've fished for decades and have never carried a firearm while doing so. Rattlesnakes, Bears, Lions and the scariest tweekers in the world (along the San Diego river) never compelled me to "carry" while fishing. When I go camping... I usually bring an appropriate firearm, but when I'm actively fishing?..No..... I realize that some people carry all the time, even in their own homes, and for them, it would be quite natural to adapt a holster for a fishing situation. I would think that a smaller firearm (for this unique situation) might be worth consideration.

Last edited:

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
Interesting thread. I've fished for decades and have never carried a firearm while doing so. Rattlesnakes, Bears, Lions and the scariest tweekers in the world (along the San Diego river) never compelled me to "carry" while fishing. When I go camping... I usually bring an appropriate firearm, but when I'm actively fishing?..No..... I realize that some people carry all the time, even in their own homes, and for them, it would be quite natural to adapt a holster for that situation. I would think a smaller firearm (for this unique situation) might be worth consideration.
I’ve never carried, so this is new to me. But in some of the places I enjoy fishing more off the grid, there are more and more 2 legged weirdos out there. I recently took my dad fishing while he was in town and we had a very bizarre and sketchy encounter with 3 guys and a half naked chick and after we got out of there my old man really came down on me about carrying for self protection. So, here we are. I’ve never been concerned about anything with 4 paws, but the tweakers are another story.

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
Some will say "Skrew those tweekers. Arm up. They can't stop us from enjoying the river" and on the other side of the coin..."If you feel the need to carry a gun to go fishing, maybe you should give up fishing that river." Both sides of the coin have valid points. For me, personally, I have always avoided spots that are obviously "dangerous from tweekers"..Nothing you can do about it but not go there. That being said, I'm not willing to give up all my fishing holes that might be visited by tweekers. It's a balancing act. A pistol will protect you. Common sense will often negate the need.

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
Other then this one unique situation, I would never consider a Ruger SR (.22cal) or LCP. However, these small, reliable pistols can easily tuck into a pocket (with a pocket holster) above your waders. The only effective pistol is one that you have with you. Although not an ideal self defense firearm by any means, these pistols are far above rocks and sticks when it comes to dealing with tweekers. If it's easy to carry, you will carry it.

Last edited:

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
One might give a thought to whether they could stay afloat with the extra weight in a place where it is not easy to ditch. Many a duck hunter has drowned trying to swim with two boxes of shells in their pockets. It makes a difference. Maybe the holster should be made with a bit of flotation built in to offset the firearm.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Other then this one unique situation, I would never consider a Ruger SR (.22cal) or LCP. However, these small, reliable pistols can easily tuck into a pocket above your waders. The only effective pistol is one that you have with you. Although not an ideal self defense firearm by any means, these pistols are far above rocks and sticks when it comes to dealing with tweekers. If it's easy to carry, you will carry it.
I stand by this advice, I usually ask people if they would like to be shot by a .22 when knockdown power/ penetration come into the conversation.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
I have a Glock g43x. It’s very light and compact. I’m not worried about it size wise. I just don’t ever want to be in a situation like that again without some sort of protection. That’s all. I hope all that pistol is, is a slight inconvenience and never needed.

The Kenai holster above looks like a real winner. Thoughtful design and super adjustable. I think that’s the one.

skyrise

Steelhead
I want to carry. I do worry about many places now that I walk into. Heck I bet the whole Snohomish/Skykomish valley is unsafe now ! Pretty bad when you have to worry about just driving into Ben Howard parking lot. I know if something goes bad the police Won’t be on my side they will be protecting the criminals.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
I want to carry. I do worry about many places now that I walk into. Heck I bet the whole Snohomish/Skykomish valley is unsafe now ! Pretty bad when you have to worry about just driving into Ben Howard parking lot. I know if something goes bad the police Won’t be on my side they will be protecting the criminals.
You can start the process online via your local PD.

After you've done that, join these guys ; https://armeddefense.org/ they can help you get up to speed on legalities and the rest of the things needed to be a responsible CCW permit holder.

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
For all readers...a quality holster is mandatory whenever a pistol is "carried" . Most handguns that are taken by police from criminals do not come with an appropriate holster. On the other hand.... Most knowledgeable handgun owners take considerable efforts to insure that the holster is optimal and safe. Proper use of a holster, any holster, is paramount to safely protecting yourself with a pistol.