Floating line and indicator questions

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I’m heading out with a buddy to do some lake fishing aka bobber watching on Sunday.
I noticed my floating lines are pretty much shot. I currently have Rio Gold lines. They are at least 15 years old, so no problem with their longevity. They served me well.
I’m looking for floaters that I can use for dual purposes if possible, tossing indicators as well as dries for occasional river use but don’t need to spend $180 on a line as they won’t get a ton of use. I’ve been out of the trout game for awhile. What floating lines are folks liking these days?

I also need to place an order from Floats Unlimited as I’ve misplaced most of my indicators. Is .75 the size most folks prefer these days in the pear shaped indicators?
Thanks for your input.
SF

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
The .75" were a bit smaller than I expected. The .87" seem to be the common store size, the one I run w/ one weighted fly and a dropper, and I like the 1" for multiple flies. I think next time I'll get some of the next larger size 1.25" also.
The gorge fly shop set me up with a wf6f SA Infinity Smooth for my Stillwater rod, which works well.

Last edited:

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Gonna be 70 some degrees Sunday...
Are you sure you want to be out in all that sun and heat ?
😅

The MPX line is certainly a good enough line, especially if Sierra has any left, and the .75 is what I use from Floats Unlimited.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Gonna be 70 some degrees Sunday...
Are you sure you want to be out in all that sun and heat ?
😅

The MPX line is certainly a good enough line, especially if Sierra has any left, and the .75 is what I use from Floats Unlimited.

I’d prefer mid 50’s! 😂
SF

Divad

Whitefish
Brian -
I'm partial to SA Mastery MPX lines. They serve my needs well.
I second this. The MPX is a nice semi compact head that can turn over an indicator, toss a weighted streamer or throw drys. It may not be the most delicate in the latter, but if you really want to make it so, add a 5’/7’ floating polyleader.

I think it’s the best Swiss Army knife of floating lines. Mastery MPX can usually be had for $75 or so.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I like SA floating lines as well. GPX/MPX tapers. I use the 1.25” pear shaped floats.

Rod,
Any particular reason you like the larger indicators?
Thanks
SF

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Many of us remember when GPX lines were the darling of the fly fishing world. They did everything well and had a strong reputation. As new lines came along that cost more and promised greater distance and accuracy it occurred to me that the GPX was already better than I was and I didn't need a better line, just more practice. Once the new glamour lines superseded the GPX they went on sale for about $30 and I bought several. They are still better than I am and I won't live long enough to wear them out. Line technology is vastly oversold, fortunately we can still buy a Cortland 444 peach double taper...

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
@Stonedfish They had some of these on sale at Sierra a while back. I grabbed a 6wt but at the time they had the 4 and 5...for pretty cheap. May be worth checking out.
+1 on the GPX/MPX lines at STP... I just checked and they have both for 5wt. $40 for the MPX and $35 for the GPX.
1715117840901.png

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Oooh, on reusable storage spools too