Float tubes suck

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
except that he's an equal opportunity hater....even hates on himself and never takes himself too seriously.

Not taking one's self too seriously seems to be a lost art.
@iveofione I'm with @clarkman on this one. I think it's pretty clear that the guy is BSing for the fun and the clicks. Like I say above, he's not wrong about some of his critiques. But if you look at his other videos, it's clear there's a fair amount of tongue in cheek. His "fly fishing hats" video is pretty funny too.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
@iveofione I'm with @clarkman on this one. I think it's pretty clear that the guy is BSing for the fun and the clicks. Like I say above, he's not wrong about some of his critiques. But if you look at his other videos, it's clear there's a fair amount of tongue in cheek. His "fly fishing hats" video is pretty funny too.
Yeah, Ben Huge is just a Huge Joker. And he's good at getting clicks (and laughs from me). There could easily be a Drift Boats Suck or Kayaks Suck video. I mean, it seems like Ben's favorite way to fish is fly fishing for trout from a drift boat or raft that somebody else is rowing down a trout river. That's fun and all, but it can also be sort of monotonous and boring after a while.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
jackass rant..and as always, horses for courses.
Wife and I have hella fun memories of our time spent visiting lakes all over the west in our WoodsRiver float tubes, often in waters that would never see a boat.
Of course, these are the days of the internet, where there is an opinion from every ass...or is that an ass for every opinion..lol

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I think Ben is pretty funny. This one about tippet rings might be the best one to show his style how people get worked up about his opinion.

Regardless of what you think about the actual topic (tippet rings in this case), he points out stuff that is funny, stupid or ridiculous about some of the stuff we all do. And that he does. Stay HUGE!

Noticed he didn't dish on pontoon style float tubes. Problem is there's no substitute when it comes to hike-in fishing or lakes with no boat ramp access. Can you imagine hiking one or two miles with a canoe on your head and there are enough paddleboard fails on the Internet to ever consider that option, but some of his criticisms are dead on the money, especially the round style, we just learn how to compensate.
I thought his hat said it all.😊

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
One of the top rules for maximum engagement in today's social media: Have a controversial opinion even if you don't actually believe it.

What? This is just a ridiculous statement. A top rule? No way. Not even top half. If there are 100 rules then this is maybe in the mid 80s at best. I can't believe someone would even post such a absolutely false statement like that. Do you even internet bro?

Snopro

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
there are enough paddleboard fails on the Internet to ever consider that option
Don't get me wrong, I started my stillwater career from a tube. At the time they were the best option of high portability craft needed for hike in destinations.

Fast forward to the stand up paddleboard explosion. Once you go SUP flyfishing you'll never use a tube again. They are that superior.

The internet fails are obviously doing it wrong.😉

Don't get me wrong, I started my stillwater career from a tube. At the time they were the best option of high portability craft needed for hike in destinations.

Fast forward to the stand up paddleboard explosion. Once you go SUP flyfishing you'll never use a tube again. They are that superior.

The internet fails are obviously doing it wrong.😉
As did I, a Caddis U-shaped style, and had tons of fun learning my passion for lake fishing on the way and did indeed ran into some of the problems he describes.
These days, when I do float-tube, I use a Outcast Trekker, a eminently packable unit that I enhanced with a padded waist belt from an old Jansport backpack.

Now I'm not trying to offend here, to each his own is my motto and I stand by that, but I kinda hate the way SUPers have taken over Hosmer Lake. I can still remember when that used to be a fun place to fish. But that's just my opinion, I may be wrong.

But as someone elsewhere stated, if possible, I prefer my 7' pram at any rate. Starting to get too old to pack in to lakes. 😕 Whot-wah

Engee

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I didn't watch the video and I understand it is perhaps a parody, perhaps it's time for a little humor? I too love my float tube. The Fat Cat's inflated now, out of winter storage, back pack straps buckled on: Thursday it gets floated. Tomorrow I'm floating (@Josh -"Floating devices are compromises") my Spring Creek Classic pram and trying to decide what boat filling gear to haul.
All boats have their place. I would rather fish from my float tube than my pontoon boat mostly because it's easier to get to the waters edge. I tend to try to take too much stuff on the pontoon boat, and that equates to reorganizing, hair pulling and a much more frustrating experience, My float tube is just more relaxing!

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
All boats have their place. I would rather fish from my float tube than my pontoon boat mostly because it's easier to get to the waters edge. I tend to try to take too much stuff on the pontoon boat, and that equates to reorganizing, hair pulling and a much more frustrating experience, My float tube is just more relaxing!
Your float tube might be more relaxing than your pontoon until that rattlesnake decides your float tube is a nice resting spot! ;-) See you in the morning, loaded up, rods are strung. Jeff and James are joining us. Bringing your sonar?

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I now have a float tube, frameless pontoon, fishing kayak and 17 foot whaler. I think they all have their place. I bought the smaller float tube for hike in options. Plus it was a good deal. Fish Cat 4 in a Sportsman’s Warehouse skin. Same with the Frameless pontoon which is a Fishcat Scout in a Sportsman’s Warehouse skin. Both for about half the price of the same exact boat from Outcast.

E815508D-9EE8-4F95-905C-98E97A73C1B8.jpeg

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
I wouldn’t fish the belly boat float tube ever, but the Super Fat Cat is something I’ll never get rid of.

T

Tombraider

Haha, just seen that rant. He makes $ being a Nancy. He lives on streams. His beer sucks.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have no idea who this scruffy looking specimen is, I didn't watch the vid that had ads for himself on his shirt, his hat and the table. But I strongly disagree with his premise. I have had a float tube since back in the early days of truck tube roundies. Float tubes have gotten me and thousands of others to waters that could never be reached with a boat otherwise. Even today at 84 I still use my Super Fat Cat in lakes that are not accessible to boats, I see no part of it that sucks, rather a device of convenience to fish waters that would normally be off limits.

I agree with Evan and saw the title of the article as clickbait to capture some eyeballs. It didn't work dude, spreading your personal petty hate isn't enough to make me watch your rant.

I’m not as old as you , only 75 . :) But I was probably float tubing before he was born , or he was still pooping yellow .

It’s mostly a pontoon boat now , or friends drift boats , but back when I did I found it relaxing , and a very easy way to move around and fish on the smaller water . These days I find myself mostly on lakes like Strawberry in Utah , or Henry’s or Hebgen , where the wind becomes a challenge, and a motor is almost a must . Although there are ways to fish big water in a float tube and I did a lot of it , but have to say the pontoon with motor is the better way for me , leaving the float tube for small mountain lakes .