Float tubes suck

Divad

Whitefish
If I had to guess he goes on for 8 minutes rambling about nothing, with a plethora of photostock cuts, all from an ornery position he is 30 years too young for.

As someone that dislikes his video presentation style (and enjoys tubes) I’m sure this one won’t be any different.

Snopro

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
His style doesn't stray far from what's been successful for him.

But about nothing? Nah, float tubes really do suck. ;)

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Meh. I mean, he’s not totally wrong on some of that stuff. But much of it applies to his alternatives too. He’s spot on about donut float tunes tho.

Floating devices are compromises.

I guess kudos for finding a rant format that fools like us will share and watch?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I actually really like Ben's videos....even if I don't agree with the premise. They're always entertaining (to me).

On this one, he's not wrong. But I still enjoy fishing out of my float tube.

jerry

Steelhead
I have a nice float tube; I don't use it much only because at 78 years old my knees don't like the kicking motion and many of the lakes I fish are simply too large. I use an 8 ft pram most of the time and I move thru the water backwards, and don't see a problem. I am a traditionalist with most things in life. I have graphite, fiberglass and bamboo rods, old and new. Nothing against any of the rods but at this point in life I am hooked on bamboo rods. When I go to YouTube to look for clips pertaining to fly fishing there are many I don't like to watch. Rock and roll music turns me off. Profanity also turns me off and I use my share. When the presenter talks to fast. Sometimes when I am being critical, would you believe beer turns me off. All in fun.

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
One of the top rules for maximum engagement in today's social media: Have a controversial opinion even if you don't actually believe it.
I’m trying to consume media more like a trout - go for the pretty, well made presentation that floats above me. But in practice I’m more like a bass - attack the flashy, splashy, stupid thing that annoys me. Or maybe more like a channel cat - eating dogshit and spoiled liver off of a rusty hook laying in the mud.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have no idea who this scruffy looking specimen is, I didn't watch the vid that had ads for himself on his shirt, his hat and the table. But I strongly disagree with his premise. I have had a float tube since back in the early days of truck tube roundies. Float tubes have gotten me and thousands of others to waters that could never be reached with a boat otherwise. Even today at 84 I still use my Super Fat Cat in lakes that are not accessible to boats, I see no part of it that sucks, rather a device of convenience to fish waters that would normally be off limits.

I agree with Evan and saw the title of the article as clickbait to capture some eyeballs. It didn't work dude, spreading your personal petty hate isn't enough to make me watch your rant.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
On this one, he's not wrong. But I still enjoy fishing out of my float tube.
Agreed. I think it's because fishing is fun. Even if you're doing it out of a float tube. Is it more fun out of a boat, sure? But it's still fun fishing in a float tube.

Unless it's really really windy - then it just sucks.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I absolutely love float tube fishing.
I didn't watch the video and I understand it is perhaps a parody, perhaps it's time for a little humor? I too love my float tube. The Fat Cat's inflated now, out of winter storage, back pack straps buckled on: Thursday it gets floated. Tomorrow I'm floating (@Josh -"Floating devices are compromises") my Spring Creek Classic pram and trying to decide what boat filling gear to haul.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I mean, float tubes DO have annoyances. Some of which he accurately lists in the video. But so do kayaks and prams and bass boats. They all have their advantages too.

You just gotta pick which advantage is most helpful and disadvantage is least annoying for your specific situation. I don't take my kayak on a 3 mile hike and I don't use my float tube in the big lake with wakeboard boats racing around me and a mile of water I need to cover before I get to the spot I want to fish.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I mean, float tubes DO have annoyances. Some of which he accurately lists in the video. But so do kayaks and prams and bass boats. They all have their advantages too.

You just gotta pick which advantage is most helpful and disadvantage is least annoying for your specific situation. I don't take my kayak on a 3 mile hike and I don't use my float tube in the big lake with wakeboard boats racing around me and a mile of water I need to cover before I get to the spot I want to fish.
Amen! Well stated. The compromise at my house is I don't have the right boat for every fishery I enjoy nor do I have the room to store them. ;-)