FishCat Scout question

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Outcast told me on the phone that the Scout is compatible with the backpack straps, but I do not see, for the life of me, where the D-rings are to attach to. I think they might have got it wrong - anyone on here know?

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
It weighs 35 pounds empty and is 7 foot long. It is not possible to pack it inflated with my short, weak, old body. Mine has no d-rings either.

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This photo is from 2017, (Man, look at all that hair!), but I think the Scout dimensions are unchanged. I'm 5' 11” and pretty wide. Draw your own conclusion as to packability.

596B6906-8D88-4661-BB12-4011FA0EA760.jpeg

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This photo is from 2017, (Man, look at all that hair!), but I think the Scout dimensions are unchanged. I'm 5' 11” and pretty wide. Draw your own conclusion as to packability.

View attachment 71062
Thanks. Like I said, Outcast, the manufacturer, told me on the phone it was configured for the straps. Actually not that hard to envision if you flip it 180º and have the pontoons above your head. Certainly lightweight enough. I'm not talking about bushwacking with it on your back. Now I'm curious - how do you carry it fully inflated??

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I think the Outcast rep got it wrong regarding the Scout. My 2014 model Scout does have rings for straps either and as Kilchis photo shows, the seat is too high. Flipping it 180 deg. might be an option if you found a way of attaching backpack straps.

However, I bought my Scout used and it came with the OSG Frameless Boat Bag which does have backpack straps. With the bag the boat is technically "backpackable". While I know there are cheaper options, the boat bag is very nice and easily has room for the boat, oars, life jacket, pump, as well as boots and waders. You would still be looking at hauling a 40lb plus load.

The internet photo below shows the way the boat is carried inflated to the water using the two hand straps on either side of the seat. The boat does balance nice on the hand straps. My 66 year old back can handle walking the loaded boat a few hundred feet from a parking lot to a boat launch but I wouldn't want to go much further than that without dolly wheels of some type.

5k2 Scout-Carry.jpg

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Oddly enough it also balances well on your head too…
View attachment 71124
Have hiked mine a lot this way (sportsman version)
I was going to make this comment as well only I flip mine upside down. Wouldn’t want to carry it far and would have to make multiple trips for the oars and rods.