First Place Swap

All the other kids in ninth grade were drawing hot rods and cocker spaniels and getting blue ribbons in art class. I was getting rejection slips from the 'Saturday Evening Post. - Brad Holland

Well, the Turkey Power Swap was more turkey and no power! So here we go again! I have hosted swaps in the past based on flies designed by a single tyer (names like Betters, LaFontaine, Gartside...). This time I'd like to recognize flies developed by the fly design think tank found in West Yellowstone - Blue Ribbon Flies! A few of their patterns are attributed to a single tyer by name but most are attributed to Blue Ribbon Flies itself. This swap could be open to 30 members and we'd still be scratching the surface of their fine pattern output - so we all have plenty of choices of patterns to choose from for this swap.

This swap is open to 6 (minimum) to 12 (maximum) members. Registration for this swap is open until Friday, January 5th and the flies are due in to me by no later than Wednesday, January 31st. When you register have a pattern in mind - first come first served so reserve your pattern early! As always this swap is open to ALL level tyers and if you are new to fly tying or new to fly swaps you are most welcome to join but I do ask you to let me know so I can provide any additional assistance to make you swap experience a wonderful one!

ALL SWAPPERS - remember to include the 5 basic items needed for each swap - your flies each with it's own toe tag, sent in a swap box, with a SASE included (so you get your set of flies back!), all included in your sending envelope. If you'd like to SPOIL the swap host (ME!), please include your screen name on each of the last 4 needed items.

Lastly, and most importantly, HAVE FUN! Otherwise why bother tying flies in the first place!!

Kim

1- Flybill - Baker's Hole Soft Hackle
2- Long_Rod_Silverrs
3- RichS - ICU Baetis - received
4- SKYKO - Shakey Bealy - received
5- Phil K - Iris Caddis - received
6- TicTokCroc - Lucky Bucky - received
7- Eastside - Purple Cripple - received
8- Ron McNeal -Zelon Midge - received
9-
10-
11-
12- - received

Last edited:
You are in! Please let me know if this is your first swap or you need a refresh. Thanks for your interest.

Kim

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter

Seem's like a good starting point! A quick google search.. I'm sure we'll get some clarification on it..
I saw that, but then saw Dave's hopper, goddard caddis, griffiths gnat and the elk hair caddis on there, to name a few patterns I thought were attributed to other individuals.....

flybill

Life of the Party
I saw that, but then saw Dave's hopper, goddard caddis, griffiths gnat and the elk hair caddis on there, to name a few patterns I thought were attributed to other individuals.....
I'm not sure.. I picked a Polar Spey.. guess I should check who created it. The other fly I considered is the Freddy. But that was for the Bitteroot and the body material is a pain to find. It's a foam body, with a furry underside. Cool fly though!

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I'm not sure.. I picked a Polar Spey.. guess I should check who created it. The other fly I considered is the Freddy. But that was for the Bitteroot and the body material is a pain to find. It's a foam body, with a furry underside. Cool fly though!

Nice!

If it qualifies, imma do the gulp beetle. Seeing @Paul_ throw out his (awesome) assortment of flies earlier today reminded me of that kick ass beetle he ties. Everyone needs beetles in their assortment.

1701738022924.png

flybill

Life of the Party
Count me in. I'm stuck in sub zero eastern Idaho over Xmas break with the in laws. All I do is tie flies while I'm there. But what are the patterns?

See above too. I am doing some research on some of the specific guys like Gary Lafontaine and others.. Will do the Polar Spey, if it's in the right category, or probably a soft hackle otherwise..

flybill

Life of the Party
The research might be more fun than the tying! LOL!

This is the Freddy, although it was a different color, more tan and salmon colored. Great fly, I probably bought a dozen on the first trip where I learned of this fly from a buddy who knew the area and taught me. There were 5 of us and we spent 5 or 6 days floating the Bitterroot! What a blast!

Try youtube - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=blue+ribbon+flies+fly+tying+videos or the Blue Ribbon site - https://www.blueribbonflies.com/how-to/fly-tying-videos/.

Here are some from my fly pattern database:
X-Caddis - by Craig Matthews from BRF
1701740893202.png
Olive Caddis Emerger by Mike Lawson from BRF
1701740963789.png
Fluttering White Miller by BRF
1701741072785.png
Scotty's Midge from BRF
1701741135204.png
Tan Razor Caddis from BRF
1701741179830.png
BRF Yellow Sally
1701741224695.png
Razor BWO by Aaron Freed of BRF
1701741301255.png
Purple Cripple from BRF
1701741367875.png

And like i said there are a LOT more. Hope this gets you started. If you need more help just ask!:)

Kim

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Try youtube - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=blue+ribbon+flies+fly+tying+videos or the Blue Ribbon site - https://www.blueribbonflies.com/how-to/fly-tying-videos/.

Here are some from my fly pattern database:
X-Caddis - by Craig Matthews from BRF
View attachment 93553
Olive Caddis Emerger by Mike Lawson from BRF
View attachment 93554
Fluttering White Miller by BRF
View attachment 93555
Scotty's Midge from BRF
View attachment 93556
Tan Razor Caddis from BRF
View attachment 93557
BRF Yellow Sally
View attachment 93558
Razor BWO by Aaron Freed of BRF
View attachment 93559
Purple Cripple from BRF
View attachment 93560

And like i said there are a LOT more. Hope this gets you started. If you need more help just ask!:)

Kim
Alright! Sign me up for the stubby beetle please!

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
Phil can have the iris caddis (my favorite dryfly). I will go with an ICU baetis.
Either way... I didn't intend to take your pick. Sorry 'bout that. If you're happy, it's a deal. [Edit: now I see it is on the list up top. My bad.]

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
I'm going with a not so common one. Lucky Bucky 6. Large swung soft hackle that can double as a drowned stonefly. Searched far and wide but found no recipes. Pieced it together from clues from several sites and pictures.